PDA

View Full Version : My cell is Built!!!!

stevo11
10-23-2008, 03:42 PM
Man I am stoked... it actually looks better than I figured. All I have left is to build the pwm and efie. Pics will come once my better 1/2 gets home.

I hope yall did not think I was gonna let ya off the hook without another question... What gauge wire should I be using to wire this whole gizmo together with. I am talking from the battery to pwm to cell and anything else in between thats missing.

Stevo

Atm0spher
10-23-2008, 03:54 PM
hey man good to see you got it built. at home depot they have an amp chart for wire. i know you want to overkill on the wire. i bought 8 guage wire and it is supposed to carry a constant 55 a. i have run it past that b4 and it has never gotten hot or really even warm on me. down side is is not verry flexible. but who cares if your gonna leave it in your car. not so good for bench testing having to change everything around all the time.

Riddler250
10-23-2008, 05:33 PM
How many amps do you plan on pulling? I would say 6 or 8ga is fine. 8 will be easier to work with but I wouldntrun 50a through it

stevo11
10-23-2008, 07:06 PM
Should I use braded or solid? here are some pics of the cell.

Stevo

Riddler250
10-23-2008, 07:51 PM
You willbe fine using braided wire. Solic core is a pain in the ass to work with.

Painless
10-23-2008, 07:59 PM
An electrician told me that single core wire is designed for AC and braided for DC. Single core won't work as well with DC.

Not sure how correct this is, perhaps one of the electricians here can confirm?

Riddler250
10-23-2008, 08:11 PM
An electrician told me that single core wire is designed for AC and braided for DC. Single core won't work as well with DC.

With DC you can use either. Braided is just more flexible. Sometimes I use solid core with DC but I prefer braided wire. I don't work with AC but what I have come across its mostly solid don't know why.

hydrotinkerer
10-23-2008, 08:19 PM
Should I use braded or solid? here are some pics of the cell.

Stevo

A good looking gen, Can't wait to see the numbers it produces. How many amps do you want to pull?

hg2
10-24-2008, 06:57 AM
Man I am stoked... it actually looks better than I figured. All I have left is to build the pwm and efie. Pics will come once my better 1/2 gets home.

I hope yall did not think I was gonna let ya off the hook without another question... What gauge wire should I be using to wire this whole gizmo together with. I am talking from the battery to pwm to cell and anything else in between thats missing.

Stevo

Stevo11 Nice job on the cry cell build.How large did you make the equalization holes on the bottom of the plates?

BoyntonStu
10-24-2008, 08:11 AM

My DC shunt is #10 solid wire.

At low frequencies, both braided and solid are equal.

At microwave frequencies, there is an effect called "surface current".

What is true, is that single core wire is mainly USED for ac and braided wire is mainly USED for dc.

So yes, your electrician friend was partially correct.

For our usage it matters not.

BoyntonStu

HALS-GUNSMITHING
10-24-2008, 07:17 PM
Solid wire is generaly used for house wiring and stranded wire is used for industrial use in cunduit because it's more flexable. So it realy does not matter as far as AC or DC. Stranded is just more flexible to work with. It may be more expensive too if it's more expensive to produce.