PDA

View Full Version : HHO'ing Diesels - Something to think about

Clipper
10-18-2008, 11:52 AM
Diesels ignite the fuel by compression. Ignition starts at about 12:1.
(some boat diesels, Universals for example, actually are designed at 14:1.)

The Powerstrokes and Dodge Cummins run about 18:1, and that's without turbocharging. My Chevy runs 21.5:1.

Since the hydrogen IS a fuel, it is actually igniting sometime during the compression stroke, while the piston is still on its' way up.
This is actually preignition.

I looked up the autoignition temperature of Hydrogen, it is 1085 degrees Fahrenheit, or 585 Centigrade, or 858 degrees Kelvin.

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/hydrogen...fs/fcm01r0.pdf
(page 26)

http://chemistry.about.com/library/w...empconvert.htm
(Temperature conversion calculator.)

Now, using the "Diesel Cycle" calculator in the middle of this page:
http://members.aol.com/engware/calc3.htm
Starting with 1 atmosphere of pressure, in other words, no turbocharging,
858 degrees Kelvin is reached at about 14.17:1 of adiabatic compression.

With turbocharging, it is reached even sooner during the compression stroke.

Now think about this: geometrically, compression not linear, it is progressive.
2:1 compression is reached 50% (1/2) of the way up the compression stroke.
3:1 compression is reached 67% (2/3) of the way up the compression stroke.
4:1 compression is reached 75% (3/4) of the way up the compression stroke.
5:1 compression is reached 80% (4/5) of the way up the compression stroke.
etc...

This, of course, assumes PERFECT valve timing, no fluid flow losses, etc....
(I know, I know, but bear with me, ok?)

14:1 works out to about 93% of the linear movement of the piston. (13/14ths of it's linear stroke.)

93% of linear movement, if my calculations are correct, occurs at about 30 degrees before TDC. (Somebody check me on this, please.)

So 14:1 occurs WAY before the injection event.

And since the hydrogen burns so fast, my guess is that by the time the main fuel injection event occurs, the hydrogen is all burned already.

You ARE, at least, injecting the fuel into a much hotter atmosphere than just pure compression.
But you are NOT burning the hydrogen at the same time as the main fuel charge.

My guess is that this is why diesels do not seem to get as much improvement as gassers.
Subjectively, it seems like the diesel pickup trucks that I've read about seem to get maybe 3-4 mpg gain (max)
on a baseline of 16-18 mpg or so, a gain of about 20-30%.
Gassers seem to be able to pretty consistently achieve 40% to as much as 100% increase.

I have absolutely positively NO evidence of ANY of this...it is pure conjecture,
based on my engineering knowledge, and general (subjective) observations.

But worth thinking about, no?

hydrotinkerer
10-18-2008, 03:44 PM
Your not factoring the octane rating of hydrogen which is higher than gas or diesel.

HHOinKY
10-19-2008, 02:33 AM
Doesn't higher octane burn slower, thus more effectivly?

hydrotinkerer
10-19-2008, 01:52 PM
Octane is the rating of how hard it is to light(get to burn). Hydrogen is rated 130, cheap gas is 89. Thats why premium gas doesn't predetonate because it takes the spark to light it off. Hydrogen I would guess would take diesel fuel to help light. Then the hydrogen flame speed would take over the burn. This would then completely consume the diesel fuel in the cyl.

resago
10-19-2008, 06:52 PM
H has High RON but low MON (4)
this would indicate its good for low rpm usage, but ineffective at high RPM.

also octane is a measurement of knock in a spark system.
diesel fuel is measured in cetane or the amount of delay before ignition once injected.

Diesel has an octane rating of 15-25, cetane rating of 38-45
Bio has cetane of 46-60

PHodgson
10-19-2008, 06:57 PM
Thanks for this theory Clipper, I think you might be on to something.

This may explain why I have not been able to get any positive results on my 1.9 Turbo diesel with intercooler!!!! My generator reliably produces 1 L/m which should be loads for a 1.9 engine yet my MPG did not improve at all, in fact on one trip it went down.

I have been asking other Turbo diesel hydroxy users for their results and they have confirmed the same.

Is anyone getting significant positive MPG results with a Turbo diesel???

Painless
10-19-2008, 07:21 PM

This may explain why I have not been able to get any positive results on my 1.9 Turbo diesel with intercooler!!!! My generator reliably produces 1 L/m which should be loads for a 1.9 engine yet my MPG did not improve at all, in fact on one trip it went down.

I have been asking other Turbo diesel hydroxy users for their results and they have confirmed the same.

Does your turbo diesel utilise a pilot injection? If it does, this is probably wasting the HHO and igniting it before the main injection.

resago
10-19-2008, 08:04 PM
there is some speculation that using a small 90watt plasma gen in the airstream can artificially raise cetane level.

search: Magnetic Gliding Arc generator

hydrotinkerer
10-19-2008, 08:13 PM

My 98 cummins turbo diesel mpg went up 21%. It doesn't hardly do anything until I started producing 1lpm or more.

chevyguy04
10-19-2008, 09:42 PM
On you tube there are a couple Duramax diesels that are seeing good improvements.

PHodgson
10-20-2008, 04:48 AM
Does your turbo diesel utilise a pilot injection? If it does, this is probably wasting the HHO and igniting it before the main injection.

No, I don't think so but it is indirect inject so it has 'swirl chambers' prior to the mix entering the cylinder. Not quite sure what the theory is or how it all works.