PDA

View Full Version : camshafts

Boltazar
10-16-2008, 10:25 PM
I've been reading about the way the factory sets up our engines (U.S. manufactures) and now need to pick our consorted minds for camshaft manufacturers that can offer better designed cams, any ideas? thanks in advance

resago
10-17-2008, 09:28 AM
comp cams.
they offer both performance and/or economy.
crane
many more.

I really don't think the cam/timing conspiracy holds any water.

bigapple
10-17-2008, 09:59 AM
I think camshaft timing isn't really what's more the factor here. If your vehicle has a standard distributor, reset the timing (I've heard up about 5 degrees; but don't hold me to it). If you have an electronic ignition system, you'll have to buy a programmer. Changing ignition timing is much cheaper too.

pj91gsx
10-17-2008, 11:01 AM
I think camshaft timing isn't really what's more the factor here. If your vehicle has a standard distributor, reset the timing (I've heard up about 5 degrees; but don't hold me to it). If you have an electronic ignition system, you'll have to buy a programmer. Changing ignition timing is much cheaper too.

Also cam angle sensors can be used to adjust the igntion timing. It is a little different, because a wire will have to be ground and its not always in the same place

Boltazar
10-18-2008, 12:38 AM
Comp cams, I'll try them next. Crane didn't have anything for economy. It's the duration and timing of piston position vs intake opening and exhaust closing.

resago
10-18-2008, 02:26 PM
lunati is another one.

jimbo40
10-19-2008, 08:47 AM

He wants to change valve timing not ignition timeing. they are both very different. Iginiton timeing does not effect valve time.

Boltazar
10-20-2008, 12:11 PM
Well all the cam companies I got in touch with said about the same thing;

Discussion Thread
Response (A.C.) 10/20/2008 09:15 AM
I have no listing for a cam that will increase fuel economy over a factory unit. The factories were mandated, by the Government, to produce engines with the best fuel economy possible.

For some reason I can't believe that, but I'm stuck with what I've got.

resago
10-20-2008, 01:04 PM
seems to me a roller cam would be better than a flat tappet, but most use a hydraulic roller or overhead cam anyway.

bigapple
10-20-2008, 02:20 PM
He wants to change valve timing not ignition timeing. they are both very different. Iginiton timeing does not effect valve time.

I understand that. That's why I suggested what I thought would be a cheaper method of increased mpg, which is ignition timing. Most aftermarket cams are made for straight performance, rather than economy. So, it might not be cost-effective to get a camshaft, unless you can get ridiculously good economy.