PDA

View Full Version : electrical question

overtaker
10-16-2008, 09:05 PM
I've heard it stated that if you have different size plates in your booster, your efficiency will be limited to your smallest plates. I'm in the process of building a "separate bath" cell with plates that are about 6" by 8". I was going to use 3/4" stainless steel straps ( of the same thickness ) to jump from cell to cell. Would this limit my production to the size of the straps like production is limited to the size of the smallest plates as above? THANKS :)

overtaker
10-16-2008, 10:42 PM
Any EE'S that can help me out?

H2OPWR
10-17-2008, 01:02 AM
I've heard it stated that if you have different size plates in your booster, your efficiency will be limited to your smallest plates. I'm in the process of building a "separate bath" cell with plates that are about 6" by 8". I was going to use 3/4" stainless steel straps ( of the same thickness ) to jump from cell to cell. Would this limit my production to the size of the straps like production is limited to the size of the smallest plates as above? THANKS :)

It should not. All surfaces that are polorized with electricity should make HHO.

Jaxom
10-17-2008, 03:45 PM
The jumpers will only be limiting by their electrical resistance, since they only carry electrons from one plate to the next, and don't pass current into the electrolyte. As long as the jumpers are reasonably wide, the plate area will still be your limiting factor. I supply power to my plates using jumper straps the same gauge as my plates.

mytoyotasucks
10-17-2008, 04:06 PM
make sure that u wrap ur straps so u dont have current leakage.

overtaker
10-17-2008, 08:57 PM
Thanks guys! What is the max amps. you think I could run through 18g. 316ss straps that are 3/4" wide? I want to see what 100 amps. will do. :eek: Or should I double up on the straps.

Riddler250
10-17-2008, 09:04 PM
That's a lot of current. I would double up to be safe. Wrap your straps and wrap em good!

mytoyotasucks
10-18-2008, 12:08 AM
Thanks guys! What is the max amps. you think I could run through 18g. 316ss straps that are 3/4" wide? I want to see what 100 amps. will do. :eek: Or should I double up on the straps.

why do u want to run that many amps??????????

candyman55
10-18-2008, 07:45 AM
If you keep the straps under the electrolyte they should be ok, I run 100 amps frequently and use #1 copper leads to 3/8" ss terminals. But under the surface of the water I can use #10 304 stainless wire and the shrink tube does not melt off.

I did burn the straps off of my perforated plate cell but I was pulling 400 amps and the straps only melted above the water line. (the cell was not sealed).