PDA

View Full Version : Electrolysis heat generated

dehartauto
10-15-2008, 11:29 PM
Ok guys/gals.
I have been sitting on the side lines observing you guys. I am a mechanic and own a popular shop in my area. You all gave me motivation to start an interest in HHO technology. I have played with many designs and tested them on various cars. My finding is that electrolysis heat cannot be controlled really by any means unless there was some sort of cooling system involved. I find that anywhere like above 140 degrees of electrolyte temp that water vapor becomes a problem and therefore creates an illusion of awesome production which is not actually the case. Good clean production needs to be kept under 140, pref about 120 degrees in my testing. But no matter what i do there is run away temp's. Lets face it electrolysis causes heat. Spacing, PW generators, electrolyte, voltage all prolong the inevidable. Is there really a cell that can produce a good liter a minute that can run for hours and stay under 140 degrees? I find it hard to believe if there are. I think the technology may work but heat is our major complication. If someone knows a design that does not run away let me know and i'll build it and test it. I just don't think its possible without some amazing cooling system. So at this point I have given up on my HHO research as all I see is water vapor machines out there that may melt after 4 hours of operation.
Your input please.
-Doctor D
dehartauto.com

DigitalMocking
10-15-2008, 11:43 PM
you should read mrsmith's and plumabob's threads. no thermal runaway in their designs.

Riddler250
10-16-2008, 12:01 AM
Ok guys/gals.
I have been sitting on the side lines observing you guys. I am a mechanic and own a popular shop in my area. You all gave me motivation to start an interest in HHO technology. I have played with many designs and tested them on various cars. My finding is that electrolysis heat cannot be controlled really by any means unless there was some sort of cooling system involved. I find that anywhere like above 140 degrees of electrolyte temp that water vapor becomes a problem and therefore creates an illusion of awesome production which is not actually the case. Good clean production needs to be kept under 140, pref about 120 degrees in my testing. But no matter what i do there is run away temp's. Lets face it electrolysis causes heat. Spacing, PW generators, electrolyte, voltage all prolong the inevidable. Is there really a cell that can produce a good liter a minute that can run for hours and stay under 140 degrees? I find it hard to believe if there are. I think the technology may work but heat is our major complication. If someone knows a design that does not run away let me know and i'll build it and test it. I just don't think its possible without some amazing cooling system. So at this point I have given up on my HHO research as all I see is water vapor machines out there that may melt after 4 hours of operation.
Your input please.
-Doctor D
dehartauto.com

Have you tried a dry cell? Some say they run cooler than typical "wet cells"

Roland Jacques
10-16-2008, 12:17 AM
Good question, i wonder why we get this steam at these 140-150 temps . I look at this video (2 minutes in) how much if these production rates is steam? http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=rh9jPdL6VDQ

sumdude
10-16-2008, 12:57 AM
Ok yes i agree with your statement that electrolysis DOES cause heat but the TOO MUCH HEAT comes from electricity flowing off the edges of the plates. Electricity flows to the path of less resistance so in a open bath design i.e. some plates dipped in water with a electrical connection will get hot however you take it. The solution to this is to seal the plate edges off from the electrolyte thus causing the current to stay between the plates and ONLY between the plates.

Now recently i have been messing with the dry cell designs and it is the most efficient way of doing it in my opinion as a properly put together cell drawing up to say 16-20 amps only have a electrolyte temperature of 120 F +- operating location. There is not water for the current to leak off into so it becomes more efficient than an open bath design which has current leakage all over the place.

PWM may help keep the temperature down as it cuts the running time of continous power in half and not really affecting gas output.

H2OPWR
10-16-2008, 01:11 AM
Ok guys/gals.
Your input please.
-Doctor D
dehartauto.com

Lots of water, Lots of plates low amps.

HHOinKY
10-16-2008, 04:43 AM
The more neutral plates the less heat I believe.

hg2
10-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Dr. D.,

Go with the dry cell design for sure they're cool running and trouble free,east to build and are easy to fit into tight spaces for easy install.No wrapping plate edges,no heatshrink ,no marine goop and no heat problems and can be run for hours and barely get warm.

I've run one for over a year with not one problem.

hydrotinkerer
10-16-2008, 08:25 PM
I agree with hg2 dry cell is the way to go. I have three with no heat, low amps, good gas output.

Stevo
10-16-2008, 09:07 PM
I'll further add that my cell stays way cool. Nowhere near warm. Dry cell is the way to go no doubt. Minimal voltage leakage. On the other hand, water vapor injection, as you probably already know, is a great thing to consider too, just not when it has electrolyte mixed in. lol.

Of course there are also discussions about steam electrolysis or vapor electrolysis, which (from what I gather) is actually not really electrolysis at all and more of an effect of magnetism on water vapor.

tbhavsar
10-16-2008, 09:39 PM
I was having same issue; today I tried to re-circulate bubbler electrolyte and it stopped thermal run-away. My amp is holding up to 15amp; I will have to mesure gas output.

Ok guys/gals.
Your input please.
-Doctor D
dehartauto.com

resago
10-17-2008, 09:29 AM
no offense, but this sounds like a plant.
I've only been interested in this technology 1 month and have already decided on and bought a moderate producing dry cell.

doesn't make sense.

again, no offense intended.

hg2
10-19-2008, 08:45 PM
no offense, but this sounds like a plant.
I've only been interested in this technology 1 month and have already decided on and bought a moderate producing dry cell.

doesn't make sense.

again, no offense intended.

Can you expand on your statement?I'm not quite sure what you mean!

resago
10-20-2008, 09:10 AM
the original poster. installed many blah blah in many blah blah water heaters blah blah.

Farmercal
10-20-2008, 11:20 AM
Original poster MIA? Apparantly he/she didn't want a response, just wanted to say it can't be done (again).

hg2
10-20-2008, 08:11 PM
the original poster. installed many blah blah in many blah blah water heaters blah blah.

Ok I understand now.Sorry there was no quote with the post.

Thanks