PDA

View Full Version : fittings for a drycell?

stevo11
10-15-2008, 03:14 PM
I picked up my endplates today, acrylic 8"x 8"x 1", Ordered my 6"x 6" 20Gauge 316L plates yesterday and have the tracking #.

I need to get some fitting to plum the cell, what diameter and which do yall recomend nylon, pvc or anything else. I was going to attach the fittings via threads with a tap. I will also need some hose as well, what type do yall recomend.

While I am at it, here is my cell layout. -nnnnn+nnnnn-nnnnn+. I was going to build my resevior and bubbler out of pvc and gaskets from HD shower pan material 1/16". PLEASE, if anyone has any input or suggestions do not hessitate to post. This cell is going into a 95 Camry 4cyl.

BTW this is a great forum, ty for all those that contribute.

Steve

Painless
10-15-2008, 04:27 PM
I would take a trip to lowes and pickup some nylon fittings of the push on barb type. 1/4" (green packet) will do, but go for 3/8" if you're going to push to high LPM.

Check the labelling on the hoses on the display, they will state temps etc.

hg2
10-15-2008, 05:37 PM
I would take a trip to lowes and pickup some nylon fittings of the push on barb type. 1/4" (green packet) will do, but go for 3/8" if you're going to push to high LPM.

Check the labelling on the hoses on the display, they will state temps etc.

Nylon fittings are the way to go I used an npt tap and expoxy.It's been over a year and they havn't leaked a drop.

Painless
10-15-2008, 06:15 PM
Nylon fittings are the way to go I used an npt tap and expoxy.It's been over a year and they havn't leaked a drop.

I forgot to mention, Lowes has in their plumbing section some thread sealing tape in a yellow container marked as suitable for gas applications. I've had excellent results with it so far.

Stevo
10-15-2008, 07:09 PM
7/16" Drill bit + 7/16" -18 NPT Scew Tap + Neoprene shore 40-50A O-ring gaskets +3/8" I - 3/8" O Nylon Fittings. That will make a *very* tight seal that needs no epoxy and will even allow you to use polycarbonate without the fear of poly touching electrolyte.

For plate gaskets, you'll want a shore 80A or so. Something strong and harder than the o-rings.

http://www.hhoforums.com/showpost.php?p=15721&postcount=9

stevo11
10-15-2008, 07:46 PM
Any advantage to having liquid and gas flowing from both sides like this cell? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq69NUN6PKQ

Steve

hydrotinkerer
10-15-2008, 08:55 PM
I picked up my endplates today, acrylic 8"x 8"x 1", Ordered my 6"x 6" 20Gauge 316L plates yesterday and have the tracking #.

I need to get some fitting to plum the cell, what diameter and which do yall recomend nylon, pvc or anything else. I was going to attach the fittings via threads with a tap. I will also need some hose as well, what type do yall recomend.

While I am at it, here is my cell layout. -nnnnn+nnnnn-nnnnn+. I was going to build my resevior and bubbler out of pvc and gaskets from HD shower pan material 1/16". PLEASE, if anyone has any input or suggestions do not hessitate to post. This cell is going into a 95 Camry 4cyl.

BTW this is a great forum, ty for all those that contribute.

Steve

I just put my little dry cell in my 95 camry 4cyl. Where did you get 1" acrylic?

stevo11
10-15-2008, 09:18 PM
I opened the yellow pages and called all the plexiglass companies. I got the two plates for $30.00. I was hoping to get them a bit cheeper but i could not complain. If you need some plates check fleebay and search plexiglass. there is a guy selling 3 pieces, he will also cut them to size for no extra charge. I think they were around $20.00 apiece with shipping. http://cgi.ebay.com/1-inch-plexiglass-acrylic-clear-sheet-9-3-8-x-8-1-4_W0QQitemZ130214372939QQihZ003QQcategoryZ61795QQt cZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

Stevo

stevo11
10-15-2008, 10:36 PM
This is the hole design for my cell. The gasket is 1/2" wide. The holes to hold the two cells together were going to be 7/16" but will be smaller to save some $$. I am going to mount it at an angle, I read somewhere that you will get more surface area in the catalist that way, correct me if I am wrong. The flaming skull is just cool:cool:. I have a 24" plotter in the corner catching dust, figure i will use that to cut the vynal.

Stevo