PDA

View Full Version : Potasium Hydroxide

midnight1957
10-15-2008, 02:04 PM
Why do some of the guys that sell dry cells recommend potasium hydroxide over sodium hydroxide, what is the difference in production and where can you buy it?

Thanks and have a Blessed day,
Wade

HHOinKY
10-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Sodium produces killer poison gas...

Okay, well, that makes it sound bad, but it does produce horrible fumes that are deadly. I think thats why they suggest KOH over Sodium based.

Google it and you'll find somewhere to buy it.

IronBear
10-15-2008, 02:20 PM
KOH is about 20 percent more efficient at producing gas by virtue of its greater ability to conduct electricity. Nearly all Ni Cad batteries use KOH as an electrolyte because it is more effective. NaOH could be used, but then it would be less efficient and cheaper. Many people often associate the metals used in the batteries as being the more efficient method of storage but the electrolyte plays a heavy part as well. KOH has a better solubility rate than NaOH. You can dissolve 100 grams of NaOH in a measure of 100ml of pure water at 70F, but you can dissolve 121 grams of KOH in the same water. The better dissolution properties and the better thermal stability ( stable to 400C, NaOH is only slightly less ) of the substance make KOH the better choice, especially in high amperage situations.

I think...;)

Sodium produces killer poison gas...

I think you might be thinking of Chlorine.

mytoyotasucks
10-15-2008, 03:47 PM
ya i have been using sodium hydroxide. and now using potassium hydroxide and near no smell.

pj91gsx
10-15-2008, 09:55 PM
i just read that potash is the way to go. I like it. I havent installed it in the car yet but it works well.

H2OPWR
10-16-2008, 01:41 AM
i just read that potash is the way to go. I like it. I havent installed it in the car yet but it works well.

potash is KOH.