PDA

View Full Version : Dry cell in front of radiator

richardb200373
10-15-2008, 10:53 AM
So I know a lot of you have mounted a dry cell in front of the radiator due to space issues and it should help on cooling too. I have a Jeep 2002 Grand cherokee. With my dry cell as big as it is, 7x7x almost 5 deep with fittings, It just barely fits in there. I had to cut a few little things out, but no big deal, If I wreck the front end, the whole damn thing will be smashed anyway so who cares. Anyway, here is my issue, my 8 nylon bolts holding my cell together are touching the radiator. It is a tight fit, so there should not be any movement of the cell. Will this damage my radiator fins, should I put a piece of rubber gasket or something behind it or should it be ok with just the 8 bolts?

Jaxom
10-15-2008, 11:51 AM
Bending a few fins a little isn't going to hurt anything. You just need to make sure the flues (the tubes that run from one end to the other) don't get damaged. Check it every couple of days for the first few weeks to make sure.

If youu bend a lot of the fins it'll hinder airflow and cause overheating. Bending a few is no big deal.

richardb200373
10-15-2008, 12:00 PM
Thanks Jaxom, I did'nt think it would be a big deal but I will keep and eye on it after I get it in there, thanks again.

hg2
10-15-2008, 01:17 PM
Thanks Jaxom, I did'nt think it would be a big deal but I will keep and eye on it after I get it in there, thanks again.

Do you have any room behind the front bumper or the grill?

HHOinKY
10-15-2008, 01:47 PM
Do you have any room behind the front bumper or the grill?

You probably have room "inside" (behind) the front bumper. I'd be afraid that having your cell that close to the radiator will cause overheating. When you're in stop and go traffic. You'd be better off mounting it somewhere else in my opinion.

Just my $.02.

hg2
10-15-2008, 02:31 PM
You probably have room "inside" (behind) the front bumper. I'd be afraid that having your cell that close to the radiator will cause overheating. When you're in stop and go traffic. You'd be better off mounting it somewhere else in my opinion.

Just my $.02.

I don't think that 10" in front of the rad is too close,also the top of my cell mounted on the back side of the bumper is lower than the rad.

My 2 coppers

richardb200373
10-15-2008, 10:37 PM
I don't really have room inside the bumper, it will be in between the grill and the radiator, pretty much sandwiched in there, tight fit. I tried to move my radiator over flow to the other side, no dice. It will sit right under my reservoir (hho reservoir) , but it is very hard to get to for checking hoses, connections, etc. Also about an inch away from my oil filter, it goes on the engine horizontal, so it would kind of be a pain. My other reason for moving it further away from the reservoir is to try and get a little better flow in to the cell, not sure if that even makes sense..... anyway, my new tank should be in tomorrow, so I'll let ya'll know how it goes.