PDA

View Full Version : Dry-Cell Pump

Atm0spher
10-13-2008, 10:10 AM
what kind of pumps is everyone using on their dry cells?

hg2
10-13-2008, 10:15 AM

Why would there be a use for a pump for drycell application?

redneckgearhead34
10-13-2008, 11:52 AM
no need for one. It pumps itself

hg2
10-13-2008, 12:11 PM
All that's needed is a gravity fed reservior tank with the fill line where you want your electrolyte level in your cell,gravity does the rest.That's how mine's set up and it works great.

Painless
10-13-2008, 12:30 PM
Yep!

The cell will pump itself. I don't use one on my truck.

The only benefit you will get from a pump is that the cell will run cooler. It won't increase production.

Atm0spher
10-13-2008, 02:47 PM
im not a huge fan of leaving part of my surface area in the cell left open to make room for the hho to gather at the top. i want to flush the electrolyte mix through the cell to cary the hho out so i can also run it through some coils or something to help cool the mix.

hg2
10-13-2008, 03:53 PM
im not a huge fan of leaving part of my surface area in the cell left open to make room for the hho to gather at the top. i want to flush the electrolyte mix through the cell to cary the hho out so i can also run it through some coils or something to help cool the mix.

What design dry cell did you build that would need cooling?

Atm0spher
10-13-2008, 04:33 PM
im just using one pos and neg tube right now no neutrals. i should have a pic by next monday.

hydrotinkerer
10-13-2008, 07:06 PM

If you run a flooded cell you don't have to leave room for hho production.

Atm0spher
10-13-2008, 08:08 PM
thank you everyone for all the information but my cell design calls for a pump. does anyone know of a reasonable priced small 12v pump?

hg2
10-13-2008, 08:20 PM
thank you everyone for all the information but my cell design calls for a pump. does anyone know of a reasonable priced small 12v pump?

I'm sure there's someone here that's running a smacks or similar that uses one that can tell you where to buy one.

Painless
10-13-2008, 08:50 PM
I've heard good things about the shurflo pumps. They have some 12v ones that run at 1 GPM.

Atm0spher
10-13-2008, 09:05 PM
wow. haven't seen those b4. thanks a lot painless.

Painless
10-14-2008, 10:08 AM
Here's a link to one I was looking at a while back:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_357081_357081

I never got around to shopping around to ensure the price was good though, so you might want to do that. But I do know that RadGenH2O on youtube has been using this pump successfully for some time.

H2OPWR
10-15-2008, 02:17 AM

I am not sure what you call reasonable but I bought a Sureflow 12 volt pump from the local marine store. 4 amps 2 gallons per minute and paid just over $100.00 for it. Tests coming both gravity and with a pump.

Roland Jacques
10-15-2008, 08:32 AM
Im looking for one also. Mainly for a larger remote reservior...

I have not found a real good one yet. i was thinking about a Quiet One 2200 (petsmart) with an inverter. I'll keep looking.

Atm0spher
10-15-2008, 09:33 AM
look at the sureflo ones painless suggested. they should work great

Static HHO
10-15-2008, 09:52 AM

My two cents: If your WFC system has to use a pump, it has a major design flaw. I assume your HHO system has a reservoir? This tank is mounted above the WFC? There is a liquid return line from the reservoir tank to the bottom of the WFC? If yes to all, you don't need a pump. You'll see the gas/liquid circulating through your tubes within a few seconds after turning it on. Again, if your HHO system builder is requiring you to install a pump; something is amiss.
Happy HHO-ing, in N. GA

Tremorfalcon
10-15-2008, 09:55 PM
Small and Cheap

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-12V-Water-Pump-CPU-Fountain-RV-CO2-Lasers-3L-Min_W0QQitemZ250306120014QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item2 50306120014&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C 240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Roland Jacques
10-15-2008, 10:49 PM
There are some valid reasons to have a pump IMO.
You may want to have a remote reservoir, maybe 5 gallons or so. = less likely to have electrolyte concentrations go up for long driving trips. Less refilling.
You may want to run your electrolyte solution though a filter.

Anyway the pump painless suggested might work ok but I think they are normally a on demand type pumps. Not normally used for continuous operation (a minute here and there)
These http://www.rule-industries.com/products/pumps/livewell_pumps/index.htm are more for continuous use with less watts but I don’t know how they will hold up to higher temps... http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/12165-rule-livewell-baitwell-pumps-rule-livewell-baitwell-pumps.html

H2OPWR
10-16-2008, 01:32 AM
I bought a sureflow pump. Capable of continous operation. It is made to circulate water in a livewell on a fishing boat. I have built a 100 plate cell and set it up so I can run it with and without the pump. What I want to know is if running the pump will help dislodge the bubbles from the plate surface to allow more production. I will be starting a new string soon with cell design and test results every concivable way. What I am after is the highest possible mmw.

Bill Bailey
10-17-2008, 02:17 AM
I bought a sureflow pump. Capable of continous operation. It is made to circulate water in a livewell on a fishing boat. I have built a 100 plate cell and set it up so I can run it with and without the pump. What I want to know is if running the pump will help dislodge the bubbles from the plate surface to allow more production. I will be starting a new string soon with cell design and test results every concivable way. What I am after is the highest possible mmw.

There is a U.S. company called Smart Plastics that has an excellent 12-24 volt pump. 2.5 Lt a min. continues 1000 hr rated , 1/4" barb inlet and outlet. Will run at 36lb presure , and all sorts of other goodies.

The cost is $ 56.00 US which I thought was ok.:p

Roland Jacques
10-17-2008, 09:11 AM
I bought a sureflow pump. Capable of continous operation. It is made to circulate water in a livewell on a fishing boat. .

They really are not made for livewell use.

“On Demand” diaphragm pumps They are primarily used of portable water uses in Rvs and Boats to be run up to 1, 5, 15 minutes at a time. They are better suite for pressure applications and may only last a few days or weeks if ran continuously.

From Sureflow's info page
"Duty Cycle: Intermittent. Can be run continuously for short periods of time. The higher the duty cycle the shorter the expected life of the pump."

There are much better chooses for livewells. Centrifugal Impeller pumps are made for continuous operation; they can last years without being turned off and use much less watts.

Jaxom
10-17-2008, 03:49 PM
Centrifugal Impeller pumps are made for continuous operation; they can last years without being turned off and use much less watts.

Automotive fuel pumps use this type of design. The trick is to find one that can handle the temperature and electrolyte exposure. The problem with them is that they don't generate much suction unless they're primed with fluid. For this reason, they need to be mounted below the surface level of the fluid (so gravity will keep the pump primed.)