PDA

View Full Version : Best way to check mileage

JonDoh
10-09-2008, 06:10 AM
What is the best way to check mileage?
If you ain't gots those fancy electronic gauges....

hg2
10-09-2008, 07:41 AM
What is the best way to check mileage?
If you ain't gots those fancy electronic gauges....

Brim to brim fillups seem to work.I try to go to the same pump where I got the previous fillup,and where the automatic shut stops is fairly accurate providing you put on enough miles.By that I mean try to use as much fuel that you can before filling up.

JonDoh
10-10-2008, 02:24 AM
I fill it all the way until gasoline comes out but then it slowly goes down filling air pockets in the tank..... takes forever! Once filled to the brim I will drive a few miles then get home and fill it to the brim again using a gallon jug to see how much I use for so so miles. It works ok but just takes a lot of time. :(

hg2
10-10-2008, 04:28 AM
I fill it all the way until gasoline comes out but then it slowly goes down filling air pockets in the tank..... takes forever! Once filled to the brim I will drive a few miles then get home and fill it to the brim again using a gallon jug to see how much I use for so so miles. It works ok but just takes a lot of time. :(

Driving only a few miles won't give you accurate mpg results,It'll be ok but not the same as 1 or 2 hundred miles.I have another way I use,my truck has a low fuel light with a chime and when that goes off I reset the tripometer when I stop for fuel I'll put in 10 gal. then drive until it goes off again and record the miles.Using 10 gal. it's easy to calculate the mileage by dividing by 10 and without using a calculator.Just make sure to be able to make it to the next place to get gas so you don't run out.