PDA

View Full Version : Warning - WHAT NOT TO DO - when building a elctrolyzer

Roland Jacques
10-07-2008, 10:18 PM
Sometimes I just have to learn the hard way :(

Maybe we should have a sticky of things not to do when making a HOD system. Im sure I could contribute more. Anyway here’s my big mistake.

I got some free gasket material for my new sealed cell build (dry cell). It was great to find, some 1/8" high temp silicone gasket material. That stuff is not cheep. The fact it had an adhesive side seemed like an added benifit, it would just stick to the plate, no problem right.:rolleyes: WRONG!!!!!

Oh My Goodness, what a mess. Turns out the glues in the adhesive melted into solution and coated everthing with a thick slim. Decreasing HHO production was the first clue. Extra heat should have been my second clue. The small soap like bubbles filling up the reservoir was my last clue. It looked like soap bubbling everywhere. (Fortunately I had a fluid separator before the engine so the glue/eletrolyte bubbles stayed out of the motor) I just finish taking apart the cell and ... the glue is coating EVERYTHING!! plates, gaskets, fittings, tubing, and the reservoir :mad: I guess I can sand blast the plates, but not sure im gong to be able to save anything else.

Don’t let this happen to you.

H2OPWR
10-07-2008, 10:22 PM
I found that going to the local rubber outlet and buying sheet rubber and cutting it with an exacto knife into the shape you need was the most effective and easiest way to go.

Smith03Jetta
10-08-2008, 08:34 AM
Go to a tire store and ask for an old inner tube. Works great...

Stevo
10-08-2008, 10:06 AM
I found that going to the local rubber outlet and buying sheet rubber and cutting it with an exacto knife into the shape you need was the most effective and easiest way to go.

Yep. Go for neoprene rubber and try to find out what the operating temperature range is. Works beautifully.

http://www.hhoforums.com/showpost.php?p=15721&postcount=9

To add to this thread though:

Always make sure to properly ventilate your working environment and ensure there are no spark/flame risks. This should be a given though.

Roland Jacques
10-08-2008, 10:24 AM
7+ mmw very nice.

So neoprene rubber, is heat & chemical resistant, and non condutive? do you think thier is a advantage to using 1/16" over 1/8"?

How does that compare to shower pan liner which is easier to find

Stevo
10-08-2008, 11:32 AM
7+ mmw very nice.

So neoprene rubber, is heat & chemical resistant, and non condutive? do you think thier is a advantage to using 1/16" over 1/8"?

How does that compare to shower pan liner which is easier to find

As far as I know, the shower pan liner is good up to 140*F because it is PVC, not CPVC. Both neoprene and PVC/CPVC are chemical resistant. That's why I chose neoprene due to that factor and the upper operating heat range is 200*F-220*F. Plus it's the typical gasket material choice.

I have never tried 1/8"... only 1/16" and 1/32", so I couldn't tell you the difference.

Roland Jacques
10-08-2008, 11:41 AM
when my cell messed up yesterday the temps went over 165F and did melt one PVC fitting. I'm going to go with at least 250 F material. I gess a cell cant get hoter than that. I'll check on that neoprene temps.

Stevo
10-08-2008, 12:21 PM
You should be just fine with neoprene and nylon fittings versus pvc fittings. You could also go for cpvc possibly or even polyproylene. Polycarbonate fittings will be >250*F, but then you have to wonder about what KOH and NaOH due to polycarbonate. They are incompatible. So long as you find something with a good high *operating* temperature of 185*F +, you should be just fine if your cell is getting up to 165*F.

Painless
10-08-2008, 12:42 PM
I have read that NaOH and PVC is a bad combo, unfortunately, the page where I found a nice list of the catalysts and the materials to avoid is no longer around.

Wish I'd copied it first.

Roland Jacques
10-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Where did you get the neoprene rubber at? i really want to get this cell back together today.

Your right the nylon fittings where fine the 2 PVC fitting started to melt (i think they are nylon Gusset fittings) Cpvc s a good idea also

Im adding a cell and another section, trying to keep it below 140F. i need more production and less heat, it was -nnnn+nnnn-, im going to -nnnnn+nnnnn-nnnnn+.

gizzy
10-08-2008, 01:14 PM
I think this is the link that you guys are looking for.http://www.coleparmer.com/techinfo/ChemComp.asp Try this. I found it very informative.

Stevo
10-08-2008, 10:35 PM
Yep, coleparmer is the site. I have been referencing that data for a long time in to determine what all reacts with different plastics and also aluminum. Great reference data.

I purchased the neoprene from mcmaster.com. It was delivered in 3 days with normal delivery. I am in Texas.

bigapple
10-09-2008, 12:21 AM
That's crazy that someone figured out what the foam was from. I wouldn't say my generator has gotten the water to the form of jelly, but I wondered where the bubbles were coming from and why I was springing leaks. I used permatex ultra-black high temp gasket sealer. It's silicone-based but much more durable than the red and blue RTV sealer so I thought it would do it. Good to know it was figured out.

Where can you buy neoprene cement? Is marine Goop neoprene? Seems like it would be easier to seal it off that way rather than having to lay down strips.

insane4evr
10-09-2008, 01:37 AM
......I purchased the neoprene from mcmaster.com. It was delivered in 3 days with normal delivery. I am in Texas.

Hi,
Please check with an ohmmeter if the neoprene you got is non-conductive as some of them are made for ESD mat.

hydrotinkerer
10-09-2008, 09:07 AM

Thats what I did. I got 1/8" neoprene from a local rubber manufacturer and it cost me $25 bucks for a 36" x 36" piece. Put my gen together and got 500mlpm at 6amps. The 1/8" did not compress as much as I thought so I might build another with 1/16". I'm happy with it so far.

Stevo, If you don't mind me asking where in Texas are you located?

Roland Jacques
10-09-2008, 10:06 PM
Hi,
Please check with an ohmmeter if the neoprene you got is non-conductive as some of them are made for ESD mat.

Did not register any ohms with my standard type meters with Neoprene or EPDM

I did fnd EPDM it a bit more chem resistant and higher temps than neoprene (up to 220) Close to the same price as neoprene.

Stevo
10-09-2008, 10:32 PM
Thats what I did. I got 1/8" neoprene from a local rubber manufacturer and it cost me $25 bucks for a 36" x 36" piece. Put my gen together and got 500mlpm at 6amps. The 1/8" did not compress as much as I thought so I might build another with 1/16". I'm happy with it so far.

Stevo, If you don't mind me asking where in Texas are you located?

Dallas/Fort Worth

Stevo
10-09-2008, 10:46 PM
Hi,

It reads infinite resistance. Thanks though. Here's the part number:

9455K922 - http://www.mcmaster.com/

Commercial Strength Neoprene Rubber

insane4evr
10-10-2008, 12:41 AM
It reads infinite resistance. Thanks though. Here's the part number:

9455K922 - http://www.mcmaster.com/

Commercial Strength Neoprene Rubber

Thanks. Will order some.:)

hydrotinkerer
10-10-2008, 12:07 PM
Dallas/Fort Worth