PDA

View Full Version : Amp Draw on a + n n n n n - cell

ShowMeHHO
10-06-2008, 08:39 PM
I put one of my cells in a test container today to get a idea of how it would work .. I used 54 ounces of distilled water and 1 tsp NaOH and expecting it to go to 10 amps or so it only went to 6 . I have .062 spacing through the plates 2" x 6" 316 L steel that have been sanded,etc .All terminals are stainless steel .
I put 2 tsp in 54 ounces and went to 12 amps but temp went up bigtime ...
I am using a 850 cold cranking amp battery for testing ...

Any ideas or is this normal with 5 neautrals

Painless
10-06-2008, 10:03 PM
I think you're on a good track with the 5 neutrals, but your problem here is more than likely the open bath. Wrapping your plates in an insulating material should make a big difference.

ShowMeHHO
10-06-2008, 10:21 PM
I think you're on a good track with the 5 neutrals, but your problem here is more than likely the open bath. Wrapping your plates in an insulating material should make a big difference.

I am getting some serious bubbles but temp is 160 after 2 + hours and it is running at 12 amps . Seems like 2 tsp NaOH to the 54 oz is a must so far. I know that wrapping the cell will bring temp down but will it draw more amps keeping the power going through the plates not loosing any in the bay or will that 12 amps stay the same ?

Painless
10-06-2008, 10:41 PM
I am getting some serious bubbles but temp is 160 after 2 + hours and it is running at 12 amps . Seems like 2 tsp Kaoh to the 54 oz is a must so far. I know that wrapping the cell will bring temp down but will it draw more amps keeping the power going through the plates not loosing any in the bay or will that 12 amps stay the same ?

Wrapping the cell to prevent current leakage will lower your amp draw. Think of the current as water flow in a pipe and the current leakage as a leak in the piping that wastes water.

jcbarton
10-08-2008, 06:19 PM
what should you wrap the plates with??

Painless
10-08-2008, 06:24 PM
A non-conducting substance such as heat shrink wrap, an old inner-tube, electrical splicing mastic tape or anything you can think of that will block electric current and make a good seal. Some people even use a plastic bottle and heat shrink it around the plates.

However, the best form of 'wrapping' a cell is a dry cell :D