PDA

View Full Version : Worst mileage with hho '92 240sx 2.4L

tienquang2
10-06-2008, 11:35 AM
Hi folks,

I couldn't resist going up here asking for help. Please share if you have or have solved the same experience.

1992 240sx 2.4L with 2 cells injected after the air cleaner. In fact, it was inject using a T at the fuel vapor return line. originally, the fuel vapor return line is a 5/16" hose which get connected into the large plastic vaccumm pipe. So now I put a T there to inject the HHO.

Firstly, I wonder if that is the best place for it.
Secondly, I got 26mpg, a 25% increase on the first 60 miles try (used to be be 20mpg, without HHO).

NOW, I am getting very bad mileage, only 16mpg.

I have a MAF enhancer installed but not using it at test, because it is sluggish at every starts.

Can someone give me an idea of what I am doing wrong? I know there has to be something wrong and I am missing something here.

Thanks,

mytoyotasucks
10-06-2008, 02:02 PM
sound like u have the MAF enhancer set tooo lean, richen up a little, and try again, should run better.

as for getting better mpg at first, was until the O2 sensor seen to much O2 and adjusted fuel to compansate.

hg2
10-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Hi folks,

I couldn't resist going up here asking for help. Please share if you have or have solved the same experience.

1992 240sx 2.4L with 2 cells injected after the air cleaner. In fact, it was inject using a T at the fuel vapor return line. originally, the fuel vapor return line is a 5/16" hose which get connected into the large plastic vaccumm pipe. So now I put a T there to inject the HHO.

Firstly, I wonder if that is the best place for it.
Secondly, I got 26mpg, a 25% increase on the first 60 miles try (used to be be 20mpg, without HHO).

NOW, I am getting very bad mileage, only 16mpg.

I have a MAF enhancer installed but not using it at test, because it is sluggish at every starts.

Can someone give me an idea of what I am doing wrong? I know there has to be something wrong and I am missing something here.

Thanks,

Is the maf enhancer and hho the only two things you've done so far?

tienquang2
10-06-2008, 03:03 PM
Is the maf enhancer and hho the only two things you've done so far?

Yes, I have the MAF enhancer and HHO installed. I also have the O2 extender installed, luckily I only need 1.

However, I am just running the HHO thru the air intake. As for as the MAF enhancer is concern, I have it off due to it making the car sluggish.

hg2
10-06-2008, 06:52 PM
Yes, I have the MAF enhancer and HHO installed. I also have the O2 extender installed, luckily I only need 1.

However, I am just running the HHO thru the air intake. As for as the MAF enhancer is concern, I have it off due to it making the car sluggish.

One thing to remember when tuning for hho,is that most adjustments should be made very slowly one small step at a time.If not the ecm will catch on in no time to what your doing.Some adjustments take up to 2 weeks with some ecms before you can complete fine tuning.If a check engine comes on that means you went too fast.If adjustments are done slowly the ecm will most likely dismiss it as no more that going to a higher alttitude or a different temperature climate.It will catch on to radical changes made and most likely that's the poor performance you experienced using the enhancer.
One thing I have noticed that works is when you do get caught,reset the codes and start fresh from scratch.So have patience when starting your tune program and it could save you time in doing so.

good luck

tienquang2
10-07-2008, 09:11 AM
One thing to remember when tuning for hho,is that most adjustments should be made very slowly one small step at a time.If not the ecm will catch on in no time to what your doing.Some adjustments take up to 2 weeks with some ecms before you can complete fine tuning.If a check engine comes on that means you went too fast.If adjustments are done slowly the ecm will most likely dismiss it as no more that going to a higher alttitude or a different temperature climate.It will catch on to radical changes made and most likely that's the poor performance you experienced using the enhancer.
One thing I have noticed that works is when you do get caught,reset the codes and start fresh from scratch.So have patience when starting your tune program and it could save you time in doing so.

good luck

Thanks for your response. I really appreciate it.
OK... So, now I have reset my ECU by unplugging the neg side of the battery for about an hour.

What is it that I should do?
1. I have reduced my HHO cells to just enough amount of hydrogen as not to overload my alternator right?
2. Increase my MAF enhancer by turning it to lean JUST A BIT as to decrease the gas intake right?
3. Do I turn on my HHO cells right after I start the engine cold in the morning, or wait until the engine is warm before doing so?

Can you expand on your experiences and procedures on turning the HHO?

Thanks...

hg2
10-07-2008, 09:42 AM
Thanks for your response. I really appreciate it.
OK... So, now I have reset my ECU by unplugging the neg side of the battery for about an hour.

What is it that I should do?
1. I have reduced my HHO cells to just enough amount of hydrogen as not to overload my alternator right?
2. Increase my MAF enhancer by turning it to lean JUST A BIT as to decrease the gas intake right?
3. Do I turn on my HHO cells right after I start the engine cold in the morning, or wait until the engine is warm before doing so?

Can you expand on your experiences and procedures on turning the HHO?

Thanks...

Here's a tuning doc to read that explains most of how I tune for hho

http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/doc/TuningForMileage.html

Read this over then if you have any questions afterwards I try to answer them the best I can.
one last thing to add is it doesn't take an hour for codes to reset,just disconnect the pos. lead at the battery(and some people say to touch it to the neg. don't know if that helps I don't do it)and then reconnect,and that usually clears most codes that you may set when trying to tune.

gizzy
10-07-2008, 09:53 AM
I bought and installed two different units. And so far my best result is an extender for the O2 sensor. I really opened a can of worms when I installed my control box. It was for both the O2 and MAF or MAP controller. I have a 03 blazer 4.3. Anyhow it loaded up with carbon so badf I had to scrub my garage floor and the frame of the garage door. It was unreal how much it shot out. I'm sure you know what i ended up doing after that. I did'nt throw it away though. What a bummer. I'm sure if I was more electronically inclined this wouldn't of happened. Otherwise I'm very happy so far the way it is.

tienquang2
10-07-2008, 09:56 AM
Here's a tuning doc to read that explains most of how I tune for hho

http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/doc/TuningForMileage.html

Read this over then if you have any questions afterwards I try to answer them the best I can.
one last thing to add is it doesn't take an hour for codes to reset,just disconnect the pos. lead at the battery(and some people say to touch it to the neg. don't know if that helps I don't do it)and then reconnect,and that usually clears most codes that you may set when trying to tune.

Thanks hg2, I am reading that right now. Hopefully this will clear things up.

hg2
10-07-2008, 09:59 AM
I bought and installed two different units. And so far my best result is an extender for the O2 sensor. I really opened a can of worms when I installed my control box. It was for both the O2 and MAF or MAP controller. I have a 03 blazer 4.3. Anyhow it loaded up with carbon so badf I had to scrub my garage floor and the frame of the garage door. It was unreal how much it shot out. I'm sure you know what i ended up doing after that. I did'nt throw it away though. What a bummer. I'm sure if I was more electronically inclined this wouldn't of happened. Otherwise I'm very happy so far the way it is.

What unit did you buy that controlled both o2 and map,and where did you locate it?

gizzy
10-07-2008, 10:05 AM
What unit did you buy that controlled both o2 and map,and where did you locate it?

I bought it on ebay. Not sure at the moment who I bought it from. Ebay has so many different devices an claims out there but, you have to read each one of intrest carefully.

gizzy
10-07-2008, 10:10 AM

Here's the product I bought on Ebay.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360092697441&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=160257684078&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m183&_trkparms=algo%3DDR%26its%3DS%252BI%252BSS%26itu%3 DISS%252BUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D4

hg2
10-07-2008, 10:56 AM
Here's the product I bought on Ebay.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360092697441&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=160257684078&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m183&_trkparms=algo%3DDR%26its%3DS%252BI%252BSS%26itu%3 DISS%252BUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D4

After reading the install instructions it states it can do both map and o2.Did you try installing it to control both sensors at the same time.Also how many precat o2s do you have?Did you check the I and O wires if you did try to install it on the map,because it's the opposite of o2s adding voltage will lean o2s but adding to the map will cause the ecm to think the motor's under a load condition and will run rich.The unit you bought(if I read correctly )is only capable of adding voltage up to 500mv unless the I and O are reversed.

gizzy
10-07-2008, 11:18 PM
After reading the install instructions it states it can do both map and o2.Did you try installing it to control both sensors at the same time.Also how many precat o2s do you have?Did you check the I and O wires if you did try to install it on the map,because it's the opposite of o2s adding voltage will lean o2s but adding to the map will cause the ecm to think the motor's under a load condition and will run rich.The unit you bought(if I read correctly )is only capable of adding voltage up to 500mv unless the I and O are reversed.

I see, I miss understood the directions. I did hook both which was a little challenging. Anyhow I have 2 O2 sensors. I major and the other minor. I replaced both and added O2 extenders to both. Anyhow it seems you do know alot on this subject. That's cool cause it's been taking me a while to catch on. I've been doing this hho addiction since late june 08. I have spent some money though. Anyhow, around town I averaged 16-20mpg and hwy 19-20. I took a trip all hwy and recieved 27-28mpg. I thought that was great. But one thing I do like is the extra power and the clean air.

hg2
10-08-2008, 04:41 AM
I see, I miss understood the directions. I did hook both which was a little challenging. Anyhow I have 2 O2 sensors. I major and the other minor. I replaced both and added O2 extenders to both. Anyhow it seems you do know alot on this subject. That's cool cause it's been taking me a while to catch on. I've been doing this hho addiction since late june 08. I have spent some money though. Anyhow, around town I averaged 16-20mpg and hwy 19-20. I took a trip all hwy and recieved 27-28mpg. I thought that was great. But one thing I do like is the extra power and the clean air.

When you say that you have two o2 sensors are they both before two catalytic converters or do you have just one catalyic converter with one o2 before and one after?Because the sensors (or sensors)after the catalytic converter are NOT to be connected to the efie.

gizzy
10-08-2008, 01:07 PM
When you say that you have two o2 sensors are they both before two catalytic converters or do you have just one catalyic converter with one o2 before and one after?Because the sensors (or sensors)after the catalytic converter are NOT to be connected to the efie.

I have one O2 sensor before and one after...Also I have new sensors I installed. Question? What would you suggest with efi and O2 controler?

hg2
10-08-2008, 06:24 PM
I have one O2 sensor before and one after...Also I have new sensors I installed. Question? What would you suggest with efi and O2 controler?

Do you mean map and o2 enhancer?Or just o2,sorry I'm not clear on what you mean.

gizzy
10-09-2008, 09:00 AM
Do you mean map and o2 enhancer?Or just o2,sorry I'm not clear on what you mean.

Sorry, I mean Both the

o2 sensor enhancer or the map sensor enhanc. My controller has both.

hg2
10-09-2008, 09:34 AM
Sorry, I mean Both the

o2 sensor enhancer or the map sensor enhanc. My controller has both.

Always Install the o2 efie on the o2S that's before the converter the one after only tells the ecm how the converter is fuctioning.Have you probed the wires to the pre-cat o2 sensor to locate which is the signal wire.I'm not sure how much leaning the 500mv map en. can do,most map sensors work on a 0-5v range.This may help with tuning because using a map en. is more likely to set codes than the o2 efie.I would start with around 200mv on the o2 efie then drive for a few days and see if you have any improvment in mpg,then you can decide to try the map or increase the o2 efie voltage a bit more.Tuning is difficult if you try to go too fast,I know all too well the anxious feeling you get when you're eager to see mpg gains.

gizzy
10-10-2008, 09:44 AM
Always Install the o2 efie on the o2S that's before the converter the one after only tells the ecm how the converter is fuctioning.Have you probed the wires to the pre-cat o2 sensor to locate which is the signal wire.I'm not sure how much leaning the 500mv map en. can do,most map sensors work on a 0-5v range.This may help with tuning because using a map en. is more likely to set codes than the o2 efie.I would start with around 200mv on the o2 efie then drive for a few days and see if you have any improvment in mpg,then you can decide to try the map or increase the o2 efie voltage a bit more.Tuning is difficult if you try to go too fast,I know all too well the anxious feeling you get when you're eager to see mpg gains.

I'll go back to you but I, also installing a pwm to help keep the heat down. Ok I'll try it again. As far as the wiring I have that correct...

H2OPWR
10-12-2008, 02:22 PM

Lots of carbon came out of my engine when I first hooked everything up. It is not the leaning out of your engine that causes the problem. It is the steam from combusting the HHO cleaning old carbon out of the engine that has built up over the years. Getting the carbon out is a good thing.

gizzy
10-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Lots of carbon came out of my engine when I first hooked everything up. It is not the leaning out of your engine that causes the problem. It is the steam from combusting the HHO cleaning old carbon out of the engine that has built up over the years. Getting the carbon out is a good thing.

Anyhow, do you think I should re-install it?

hg2
10-13-2008, 11:27 AM
Anyhow, do you think I should re-install it?

Yes but this time start with just the O2 efie and start with 200mv(.2v)and slowly bring it up a little a at time driving a day or so between tweaks.If you see the mpg gains you want without setting any codes I'd leave it there.The map en. is more adpt to set codes than the O2 efie,but every vehicle different so if you're not satisfied with your results using O2 efie then install the map en. and lower the voltage on the O2 efie and start over with the tuning process with small tweaks on both with a day or so driving between them.

gizzy
10-13-2008, 01:17 PM
Yes but this time start with just the O2 efie and start with 200mv(.2v)and slowly bring it up a little a at time driving a day or so between tweaks.If you see the mpg gains you want without setting any codes I'd leave it there.The map en. is more adpt to set codes than the O2 efie,but every vehicle different so if you're not satisfied with your results using O2 efie then install the map en. and lower the voltage on the O2 efie and start over with the tuning process with small tweaks on both with a day or so driving between them.

I'm mot electronic savy but, do you check the voltage on my o2 senor between the O2 senor and the computer?

hg2
10-13-2008, 01:46 PM
I'm mot electronic savy but, do you check the voltage on my o2 senor between the O2 senor and the computer?

Check each wire to see which is the signal wire(the one that fluxuates between 0 and 1 vdc).Do this with the black probe on your meter on a good ground and the red to the wires on the o2.Once you've located the signal wire it per the instructions.

gizzy
10-14-2008, 09:20 AM
Check each wire to see which is the signal wire(the one that fluxuates between 0 and 1 vdc).Do this with the black probe on your meter on a good ground and the red to the wires on the o2.Once you've located the signal wire it per the instructions.

Ok thanks. soon as I do this I'll write you back and let you know if it worked for me.