PDA

View Full Version : Turbo diesel

jas11n
10-06-2008, 06:45 AM
Hi Guy's, new user here. My names Jason and I'm from the UK.
Need to ask you knowledgeable guys a quick question.

I did a quick search but only found one similar question, but the answer was a little unclear.
I have a 1993 Audi 80 1.9 TDi, this model you'll not be familiar with as it was never sold in the USA. It's a 90hp, four cylinder 1896cc common rail diesel with a Garrett T2 turbocharger producing 1 bar (14.5 psi) of boost, that's 1 bar above atmospheric, so 2 bar (29 psi) absolute.

I'm in the middle of fitting a smacks style HHO cell, but am uncertain of where to pipe the produced gas into the intake.
Current thinking in my head says if I try and pipe the HHO into the intake "post" turbocharger, I'm going to be trying to force a gas under less pressure, into a hose that's under higher pressure.
Will I be better off piping the HHO into the airbox?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Jase..
:)

hydrotinkerer
10-06-2008, 10:14 AM
Hi Guy's, new user here. My names Jason and I'm from the UK.
Need to ask you knowledgeable guys a quick question.

I did a quick search but only found one similar question, but the answer was a little unclear.
I have a 1993 Audi 80 1.9 TDi, this model you'll not be familiar with as it was never sold in the USA. It's a 90hp, four cylinder 1896cc common rail diesel with a Garrett T2 turbocharger producing 1 bar (14.5 psi) of boost, that's 1 bar above atmospheric, so 2 bar (29 psi) absolute.

I'm in the middle of fitting a smacks style HHO cell, but am uncertain of where to pipe the produced gas into the intake.
Current thinking in my head says if I try and pipe the HHO into the intake "post" turbocharger, I'm going to be trying to force a gas under less pressure, into a hose that's under higher pressure.
Will I be better off piping the HHO into the airbox?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Jase..
:)

On my diesel I piped it in pre turbo, So I don't have to overcome turbo boost pressure.

jas11n
10-24-2008, 05:14 PM
Nearly done. Just got to finish running a couple of wires to the interior for the ammeter and the PWM, and it'll be ready for testing.

I piped into the airbox, pre turbocharger.

Taken a lot of great advice from here, so thanks guys.

Jase..

http://www.audifans.net/modules/gallery/albums/album08/HHO_install_022.jpg

http://www.audifans.net/modules/gallery/albums/album08/HHO_install_023.jpg

http://www.audifans.net/modules/gallery/albums/album08/HHO_install_007.jpg

http://www.audifans.net/modules/gallery/albums/album08/HHO_install_014.jpg

hydrotinkerer
10-24-2008, 09:56 PM
Very nice clean setup. What does your gen. put out and at what amp draw.

Riddler250
10-24-2008, 10:13 PM
Very nice clean setup. What does your gen. put out and at what amp draw.

it almost looks like it is supposed to be there. Good Job Nice work

Painless
10-24-2008, 10:23 PM
Is that a fuel filter you have on the HHO hose before the airbox?

cully
10-25-2008, 04:00 AM
nice set up ! looks like a kit that selling on Ebay UK in
a right hand drive car !! I'm guessing your in the UK,
where are you based ?

jas11n
10-25-2008, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the comments guys.

Is that a fuel filter you have on the HHO hose before the airbox?

It is. Reason for it was that I'd read on here about electrolyte fumes getting into the engine and effecting aluminium parts. I thought it may just help to catch any fumes that manage to get through the bubbler.
May work, may not. Can't do any harm though.

nice set up ! looks like a kit that selling on Ebay UK in
a right hand drive car !! I'm guessing your in the UK,
where are you based ?

Yes, I'm in the UK mate.
The cell casing and the bubbler was indeed bought from a chap selling on ebay UK. I made the plates from smacks online info.

I have just finished it today, so not yet had time to measure it's output.
It does create some gas though. Cold draw is 5amps. Once warmed it sits at about 86ÂșC and draws 20amps.

A vid on youtube >>> "HERE" (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VWm181umuoM)

flyingd
01-01-2009, 06:06 PM
what results do you have?

jriggs_18
01-02-2009, 10:47 AM
Since it is a CR fuel system im guessing it has pilot injection, are you seeing anything positive with the system. I have an idea on how to go post turbo but im not sure that it would be worth the time just to get it on the positive pressure side.

Do you have any trace of electrolyte in your turbo?

It can cause problems if you do, I have living proof of it, are you using KOH or NaOH?

flyingdoc
03-24-2009, 08:29 PM
hi,bin trying 2 get a result on my turbo diesel no gain yet,has no effect 50mm frm turbo,tried jus b4 air filter no gain,gonna try it on airfilter box,let me know if you have a result!bin trying 2 sus this 4 ages,my system works brilliant on non turbo diesel ,TD seems 2 b a problem child.Flyingdoc.ps good luck.

OUScooby
03-24-2009, 08:49 PM
I've also been wondering where to tap in a forced induction car with my WRX. Pre-turbo seems the easiest so you don't have to overcome the boost, but my big worry with tapping pre-turbo is something going wrong and water being pumped into the turbo. What failsafes did you put in place to prevent this?

As far as tapping post turbo I thought the intercooler might be best, as this is the most common place for meth-injection, could a meth injection type setup work with HHO in a forced induction car?