PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Dry cell experts

Kieran
10-01-2008, 12:55 AM
So I have decided to make my first dry cell and need some help understanding some of the concept it.

First I would like a better understanding of of the reservoir/bubbler works and what the use of the return nozzle is for. I have a general understanding but it would be nice to get a good explanation.

Another question is where I should drill my holes. I understand that there are two holes in the plates one for airflow and one for water circulation. Though I heard that you my not want to place the water circulation holes in a straight line. I would like a good explanation on that as well if possible.

I think I have some others as well but their not popping into my head at the moment. So I will ask them later :)

If anyone could answer these questions I would be very grateful I'm dying to know.

hygear
10-01-2008, 08:08 AM
So I have decided to make my first dry cell and need some help understanding some of the concept it.

First I would like a better understanding of of the reservoir/bubbler works and what the use of the return nozzle is for. I have a general understanding but it would be nice to get a good explanation.

Another question is where I should drill my holes. I understand that there are two holes in the plates one for airflow and one for water circulation. Though I heard that you my not want to place the water circulation holes in a straight line. I would like a good explanation on that as well if possible.

I think I have some others as well but their not popping into my head at the moment. So I will ask them later :)

If anyone could answer these questions I would be very grateful I'm dying to know.

Okay before I start remember this is what works for me and you may chose to design yours different.

First the resivior and steamtrap/ bubbler on my system are two separate components.The gravity feed resivoir tank is mounted next to the generator,and the full mark is level with the desired level of electrolyte in the generator.Coming from the steamtrap bubbler I have a tube running from it to the resivoir so that any electrolyte burped out of the generator is recycled back and reused.I have a plastic gas valve I got from a lawnmower shop before the resivoir that is left cracked open just enough to let the fluid flow back as it accumalates.The inlet to the generator is located at the bottom in front of the first plate and installed a drain plug for future servicing next to it.

Second question the holes here are the plans I used for my generator.
http://www.umpquaenergy.com/hydrogengenerator/tero_cell.pdf (http://www.umpquaenergy.com/hydrogengenerator/tero_cell.pdf)

It doesn't show the equalization holes but explains where to drill them,they are drilled on opposite sides alternating and not in line with one another.
Note: If you plan on building this generator use only 7 plates, 8 plates don't give good production.

Also I have a second bubbler installed before the motor intake,so that no electrolyte can enter the intake.

Hope this gets you started.

HHONissan
10-02-2008, 08:10 PM
I have also built a TERO cell, slightly different. I used 9 plates ("6.5 x "6) +nnn-nnn+ essentially two 5 plate cells with the negative plate working for both cells. seems to work better for me than the original TERO plans. I am getting good production and low amp draw with this setup.

Using 1 tbs baking soda (ordered potasium hydroxide but dont have yet)
11v (using battery charger)
14A max draw with cell warm (does not get hot, ever)
1.15 lpm production

I have a resevoir / bubbler combo (total limit of 1.5 liters) so all electrolyte that is spit out (and there is alot) is automatically recycled and a second bubbler
just in case. I have not installed in my truck because i am still deciding the best route to take to fool my computer. 2005 Nissan Frontier

Still a work in progress. Hope this helps, i think a dry cell is the best way to go as far as production efficiency.

JonDoh
10-04-2008, 03:51 AM
I used 9 plates ("6.5 x "6) +nnn-nnn+ essentially two 5 plate cells with the negative plate working for both cells. seems to work better for me than the original TERO plans. I am getting good production and low amp draw with this setup.

Using 1 tbs baking soda (ordered potasium hydroxide but dont have yet)
11v (using battery charger)
14A max draw with cell warm (does not get hot, ever)
1.15 lpm production

Hmmmm??? I just built the same thing.....

3x4 Lowes plates
+nnn-nnn+
1/16" Neoprene washers that are prob 1/32" squooshed
12 tsp soda, 1/2 cup Vinegar, 1 gal water
14.58v
12A peak - continuous 10A (cheap gauge)
110 degrees peak - average 100 degrees
1.5 LPM

Keiran........ You gotta do it!

I trashed all my containers, PVC, jars, etc!!

Keeping the holes lined up works well for me. Lowes plates already have two holes.... one top the other bottom. I aligned my barbs to those holes.