PDA

View Full Version : Accidents

ridelong
09-30-2008, 04:55 PM
All,
I have been running HHO of some form for over 6 months. I realize how explosive it is and treat it so.

I originally connected the generator to my parking lights during the experimental phase. I finished up the design and testing of the final controller design (see temperature feedback pwm) on thursday.

Last friday I was showing the generator to a guy I work with. I forgot to turn the parking lights off. I went to the parking lot 2 hours later and discovered the generator had been on for two hours.

I immediately turned the gen off, disconnected the pcv line and blew and inhaled into the intake manifold for about 10 minutes. Then I let the truck sit for 2 hours.

I went to start the truck and BOOM. See picture for results. BTW, an intake manifold for a 2003 Ford Ranger is $200. Oh yea, a MAP sensor is $60.

http://www.mikecramer.com/images/intake1.jpg

Farmercal
09-30-2008, 05:29 PM
That's why I power a booster with something that is ONLY on when the ignition is in the ON position. Perhaps you should have taken your plugs out and let it air out that way.

resago
09-30-2008, 05:56 PM
get one of those vacuum switches so its only on when the engine is turning.

ridelong
09-30-2008, 05:56 PM
Should of pulled plug wires and had someone push me in 4th gear for 20 feet or so, I have 20-20 hindsight.

ridelong
09-30-2008, 05:59 PM
It's fixed with the final design. The power relay coil is wired to the fuel pump relay, so hho only when the fuel pump is running.

Installed the final design sunday. See tempreature feedback pwm thread.

jimbo40
09-30-2008, 06:29 PM
Wow,
that is scary. if someone was standing there they could have been hurt pretty bad if a peice of the shrapnal had hit them in the juggler vein or somewhere vital.
Thank God nobody got hurt.

Dewayne
09-30-2008, 07:09 PM
OOPS !!!! :eek::eek:

Smith03Jetta
10-01-2008, 09:00 AM
I really want to see that photo but the link is not working.

pj91gsx
10-01-2008, 09:31 AM
picture is not working btw. That is a scary thought, I dont have mine wired to the ignition yet, but I dont have it in at the moment either, I think the only way to get the hydrogen out is to disconnect the fuel injectors plugs and plug wires so the engine will suck in the hydrogen and push it out, but the motor will not crank.

Smith03Jetta
10-01-2008, 10:48 AM
Not true, all you have to do is disconnect the air plenum with a pair of pliers. Open the throttle body butterfly by pressing on the accelerator petal and let it air out. If pressing on the accelerator petal does not open your throttle body with the key turned off, you should press very gently with your finger on the actual butterfly valve. Be careful not to damage the servo motor that controls the butterfly valve by pressing too quickly.

Hydrogen is lighter than the surrounding air. It will rise out of the air intake if it has a large enough outlet.

I would also open up the air filter cover and let that air out too.

Keeping a small tool kit with a pair of pliers and a couple screwdrivers in your car is a good idea anyway.

Smith03Jetta
10-01-2008, 10:53 AM
I'm posting his photo because some browsers are unable to get to the photo...

Based on this photo, I'm guessing it was the MAF or MAP sensor that ignited the HHO. I really don't understand how a spark plug can possibly ignite the hydrogen inside the intake manifold. It's just impossible. Intake valves are CLOSED when the spark plug fires... It's that simple... The only way this could have happened with a spark plug would be a backfire out the intake. That's not likely because this is a fuel injected vehicle. Backfires are not common on EFI vehicles unless you've got your ignition timing REALLY screwed up or you have an intake valve that's stuck open. If you had a stuck intake valve and were getting backfires you would have known about it earlier and would probably have a damaged Throttle body. Now that I'm thinking about it you probably have a damaged throttle body anyway because of this explosion.

If my theory is correct: The MAF/MAP sensor ignited the HHO, then all you really have to do (if you know you have HHO in your intake) is to disconnect the MAF/MAS sensors and crank up your engine and let it run for a few seconds. It will run like crap but it will flush out all the gas in your intake manifold. It might even idle really high for a moment or two while the engine uses up the high volume of HHO gas. You will know when the HHO is used up because the engine idle will return to normal. You can then turn off the engine, plug your MAF/MAP sensor wires back in. You will then need to disconnect your battery wires and touch them together for at least 15 seconds. This will clear your error codes in your ECU caused by disconnected MAF/MAP sensors. Take my advice with a grain of salt. I believe this should work but ultimately it's your money...

The best use of your money would be to wire it correctly the first time.

Here it is...

redneckgearhead34
10-01-2008, 11:16 AM
Holy crap That would have scared the crap out of me. Just be more careful next time

hydrotinkerer
10-01-2008, 12:18 PM
I wonder if you floor board the acc. pedal it would have given the flame and pressure a place to go. Probably blown air filter out. Might not have done that much damage. I don't want to test it. My wife just last night left the gen in the truck on for 12hrs. Won't do that again.

Smith03Jetta
10-01-2008, 12:51 PM
If the throttle body/carburetor valve had been open when the ignition was turned on, the flame would have blown back into the air plenum and probably popped the air plenum off the intake manifold. It may have even cracked the plastic housing. Still cheaper and easier to replace than an intake manifold.

Jaxom
10-01-2008, 01:38 PM
If you know enough about your engine to be able to locate the crankshaft sensor, you can simply disconnect it and then spin the engine over with the throttle depressed. With no CKP signal, the computer does not know the engine is turning and will not tell the injectors or the coils to fire, therefore allowing "clean" air to be pumped through the engine with no risk of ignition.

Dewayne
10-01-2008, 03:36 PM
Why not spend $20 on a relay and wire it so it is impossible for this to happen (leaving the genny on.)
A lot cheaper than a manifold or a law suite if someone had been looking under the hood
when it exploded.

THINK SAFETY PEOPLE --- DAH is everyone blonde

hydrotinkerer
10-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Why not spend $20 on a relay and wire it so it is impossible for this to happen (leaving the genny on.)
A lot cheaper than a manifold or a law suite if someone had been looking under the hood
when it exploded.

THINK SAFETY PEOPLE --- DAH is everyone blonde

It's one of those temporary deals that just got delayed. At least in my case. I'll hook up my relay now.

ridelong
10-03-2008, 04:50 PM
hydrotinkerer,
Me too, this was only temporary till the final design was finished.
Thats one reason why I posted it, so other "temporary" setups will get taken care of.

hydrotinkerer
10-03-2008, 08:56 PM
hydrotinkerer,
Me too, this was only temporary till the final design was finished.
Thats one reason why I posted it, so other "temporary" setups will get taken care of.

I agree, Got my relay and switch TODAY.