PDA

View Full Version : Driving lights and MPG

smartHHO
09-26-2008, 11:30 AM
I have been looking on the forums today, but does anyone that wrote the info on Driving lights on lowering MPG, can you put up a link. I have been in discussion with the ppl in the smart forums, and they say driving lights do not decrease MPG when on. Thus the so called FOG lights on a Smart car. Which, either way, FOG lights are in same spot as Driving lights and do take same amount of juice as driving lights.

Thanks.

Smith03Jetta
09-26-2008, 12:32 PM
Here's the answer. Disconnecting the Tagfahrlight (Daytime Running lights) will improve your gas mileage .5 mpg. I have a post about it:

http://www.hhoforums.com/showthread.php?p=695&highlight=daytime#post695

My estimation of gas mileage effect is based on the number of amps the Tagfahrlight draws when running all the time. Every 10 amps of electricity used in a 12 volt car system will reduce your gas mileage about .4 mpg. DRL amp draw is somewhere about 12 to 13 amps. I've got it documented somewhere that a 20 amp HHO system will reduce your gas mileage by .8 mpg. All you have to do is get better than .8 mpg increase from HHO to start saving money on gasoline.

I hope this helps...

HiTechRedNeck73
09-26-2008, 01:44 PM
now I do agree that power usage in the car affects mpg... but every vehicle has a different mpg loss for that power.

example: a 4cyl honda can gain more mpg than an 8cyl suv by disabling the DRL... so depending on your vehicle, you will see different results...

in fact, that reminds me of a funny story about a guy that was complaining about fuel economy to me... I offered to see what I could do for his car... he had a chevy astro van (v6) that was running pretty good, but the 4000 watt :eek: sound system in the back was killing him at the pump... for weight and power load on the alternator...

to say the least, he didn't like my suggestions for correcting the problem... :D

oh well, some people just don't get it...

Tourqy Pig
09-26-2008, 08:55 PM
I keep close tabs on my MPG cause I try to shoot for the highest using different driving techniques. I disabled my DR Lights only cause I dislike not being able to have the option to turn them off. There was absolutly no difference in my MPG. I have the 1.4 liter 106HP Yaris

(I did get 50MPG cutting off the engine going down hills though)

Halden
07-20-2011, 02:10 PM
It depends on the nature of the forum, You will find out the comment that are related to the forums. So how can we comment which you mentioned regarding cars comments.

BioFarmer93
07-20-2011, 04:20 PM
It depends on the nature of the forum, You will find out the comment that are related to the forums. So how can we comment which you mentioned regarding cars comments.

Halden,
I quoted this because I recognize all of the words used in it, I just don't understand what you mean by it.. I was following the thread just fine until the above post... Can you clarify?