PDA

View Full Version : Ratio of NAOH to distilled water??

jcbarton
09-24-2008, 09:12 AM
What is a good ratio to start with for NAOH and distilled water? I will be using a gallon jug. I have the NAOH that looks like little thin sheets of glass. Maybe 2 teaspoons to one gallon of distilled water to strat, check the amps and increase as necessary??? HELP!! Thanks

donnylynn
09-24-2008, 09:28 AM
There are a lot of variables (generator type, surface area, water temperature, PWM or not, etc) so there is no set answer to your question. Start small. I started with 1/2 teaspoon. Make sure that your final amount is determined at your max operating temperature. Current increases dramatically (at least in my cell) as temp increases.

DaneDHorstead
09-24-2008, 09:52 AM
Are you sure you have NaOH (Sodium Hydroxide), and not KOH (potassium hydroxide)?

While I can't say for certain that your discription of chips, or sheets of glass, do not exist in NaOH, it sounds more like KOH flakes.

jcbarton
09-24-2008, 11:23 AM
I live in costa rica and bought the stuff here. On the bottle is says NAOH in spanish but then in the contents area is says 100% naoh or koh. Tipical latin american contradiction. It seems that I should start with a half teaspoon, you agree? Thanks

Stevo
09-24-2008, 01:04 PM
jcbarton,

Are you using any neutral plates and what is your plate spacing?

I use 5 neutral plates and my spacing is 1/32", so I start with 1tsp/Gallon or approx 800:1 water to NaOH.