PDA

View Full Version : Plates versus wire

Jack Avant
09-23-2008, 12:34 PM
Could someone tell me if you get better production from plates or wire? Thanks Jack

richardb200373
09-23-2008, 01:49 PM
I would say 80 - 90% of the guys here use plates. More surface area for production and it lasts longer. Some use 304 grade, some use 316 grade. 316 I think is better for the long run. It is much more expensive, but worth it . As for size, 18 ga. or 0.050 is pretty common on here. Average plate size is 2.5 x 6" . Use neutral plates so you won't draw so many amps. When I say neutral, I mean these plates are in the middle and not connected to anything to bring it all down to 2 volts or so. Here are a few ideal setups that a lot of the guys here use.
+nnnn-
+nnnnn-
-nnnn+nnnn-
-nnnnn+nnnnn-
+nnnn-nnnn+
+nnnnn-nnnnn+

I would say 2, 4, and 6 are the ones used most. Use all stainless hardware. To connect your "cell" to the bolts that will connect your power wires, use part of your stainless and make a "strap" or "strip" to connect from your cell to your terminal bolt of your cell box or what ever the cell is going to be in. Hope this helps, I was in your position about 2 months ago, just do a lot of reading on here, there are many different ways to do this, just keep reading and try to make the best cell that works for you. It all just depends on how many amps you want, what kind of cooling you have for your water, how much hho you want, lot of different factors. By the way, if you do use plates, www.speedymetals.com has the best prices I have found. If you are just making one for your self, have them cut to your size, or buy a metal shear on ebay or somewhere.

Richard

hydrotinkerer
09-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Could someone tell me if you get better production from plates or wire? Thanks Jack

Plates will always out produce wires and bolts. They also last alot longer when quality built. I have three gens using #1 and #6(off previous thread) all work great. Getting ready to change from #1 to #2 to lower cell voltage.