PDA

View Full Version : i want to build my own HHO kit, but i dont know where to begin?

THEhomelessONE
09-22-2008, 11:22 PM
im new to all this, i get an average of 5-8 MPG, and i cant afford another car right now, and i dont want to buy some $200 kit off ebay that probably only cost $40 to make

im a bit lost because there are so many different designs, which do you guys think is best but still reasonable? dont want some huge 5 gallon tank under my hood or anything lol

dont want to spend more than $50 either?

its an 85 bmw 735i 3.4l inline 6

let me know what you guys recommend, thanks

mytoyotasucks
09-22-2008, 11:36 PM
well start with some ss plates - two will get u going but will produce some heat.
and theres diff containers that can be used - filter case - pvc -abs and more.

than u will need a catalyst.

THEhomelessONE
09-23-2008, 12:18 AM
is there a design you can send me like the smackbooster?
i read that there were some heating problems with the smack one

i dont know what ss plates or a catalyst are lol sorry
i know what a catalytic converter is? :P

pj91gsx
09-23-2008, 12:23 AM

I dont know why you mentioned catalytic converter.:confused: lol. But yea, the idea is to use stainless steel. I got SS light switch plates at lowes hardware. The catalyst, speeds up the reaction, is also called the electroylte.

THEhomelessONE
09-23-2008, 12:32 AM
i dont know why you used a bottle of blueberry drank in your setup, but you dont see me asking lol

ohh i got it now, the electrolyte is like the potassium hydroxide right?

do you know of a link you can send me that shows me how to build one step by step and what parts id need? i dont want to pay $80 for a book lol

EltonBrandd
09-23-2008, 12:33 AM
im new to all this, i get an average of 5-8 MPG, and i cant afford another car right now, and i dont want to buy some $200 kit off ebay that probably only cost $40 to make

im a bit lost because there are so many different designs, which do you guys think is best but still reasonable? dont want some huge 5 gallon tank under my hood or anything lol

I recomend a compression and leakage test on your engine first.

5-8mpg is a pretty good clue that something is very wrong. I have a 1989 Mercedes 300SEL with a straight six and even when I push it hard I'm still getting at least 13mpg.

How often have you service your car?

I know you have to adjust the valves fairly often on that engine. A generator wont do much for you if your engine is poorly maintained or worn out.

THEhomelessONE
09-23-2008, 12:40 AM
valves adjusted about 1k ago? i think i may need a new headgasket, it seems to be leaking a bit towards the front two cylinders, but i also need a water pump, so i dont know which one it is, new spark plugs/wires/distributor/coil, air filter, oil change, all within 4k miles

my transmission is also slipping, so i have to go from gear to gear in the auto, and i have to shift at around 2.5-3k instead of the usual 1.5k

but it still shouldnt get such shitty gas mileage when your merc is getting 13 when your on it lol, mine gets 2 when im on it

its not worn out, only 160k on it, nothing for these low compression motors, (8.0:1)

THEhomelessONE
09-23-2008, 12:41 AM
it seems like i have to press the gas a bit much for it to accelerate, i dont think this is normal...

to keep at a constant speed like 35, i have to hold it down about just over an inch? rpms at 1200

could a headgasket cause this?

Q-Hack!
09-23-2008, 12:53 AM
If I were you I would get that transmission fixed before you start playing with HHO. You may very well be loosing more in the long run if you don't.

EltonBrandd
09-23-2008, 12:57 AM
The head gaskets are known to leak oil externally on BMW and MBZ.
If its leaking internally, coolant in to the oil, it would be overheating and the oil would look like a milkshake.
It sounds like its running in open loop. If you don't know what that is look it up on wikipedia. Basically your engine management system is stumped and cant figure out what air fuel mixture to use so its going to a default mode and dumping fuel in to the cylinders. This should cause a check engine light soon.

mytoyotasucks
09-23-2008, 01:32 AM

http://www.hhoforums.com/showthread.php?t=1439

THEhomelessONE
09-23-2008, 10:02 AM
The head gaskets are known to leak oil externally on BMW and MBZ.
If its leaking internally, coolant in to the oil, it would be overheating and the oil would look like a milkshake.
It sounds like its running in open loop. If you don't know what that is look it up on wikipedia. Basically your engine management system is stumped and cant figure out what air fuel mixture to use so its going to a default mode and dumping fuel in to the cylinders. This should cause a check engine light soon.

its not oil, just coolant, my car has been burning oil lately, never done that before, and theres no coolant in the oil, it does get a little on the hot side once in a while

im getting no check engine lights, all green when i turn it on, and its been like this for months

what would cause it to go into open loop?

it does stink like gas all the time lol

EltonBrandd
09-23-2008, 10:32 AM
You might have a fuel leak.
Sniff around while the engine is running.

DaneDHorstead
09-23-2008, 11:07 AM

Homeless;

Building a HHO generator that will give you advantageous MPG, under $50.00, is an unrealistic goal.

With you car in it's current condition, you will spend that much alone, just running back and forth to Lowes/Home Depot.

With car values what they currently are, I would consider picking up a trade in, that is in much better condition, before wasting money on something that curently get 5 MPG, or less.

I don't know your finances, and don't want to. But it seems to me, like you'r trying to revive a dead horse.

Dealers, have lots brimming over with SUVs that they would take little, to nothing, for (and you could sleep in the back, too).

If you currently get 5 Mpg, and even if you were to increase it by 50%, your only getting 7.5 MPG, and the car might not last till the end of the week, even with the booster.

It's absolutely none of my business, but you have to have something worth fixing, to make a worthwhile improvement with.

One and a half times nothing, is still nothing!

I have purchased several Grand Cherokee Jeeps, form e-bay (licensed car dealers), and I have yet to spend over two grand, for one. But, try to buy local, and save shipping cost.

THEhomelessONE
09-23-2008, 04:54 PM
can brass or copper be used instead of stainless? just curious

and im pretty sure its only getting milage like this because of the tranny and head gasket, before it would get around 16-18 city and 20-24 hwy, and before wasnt even last year, i have the tranny and head gasket sitting in my uncles shop, im just waiting until he has some time to fix it

it only has 160k on it, mostly freeway, im not gonna let her go yet

lol ok well i guess $50 wont be enough, ill spend more if i have to

i have to wait a year until i go to college before i can get another car

hydrotinkerer
09-23-2008, 08:58 PM
can brass or copper be used instead of stainless? just curious

and im pretty sure its only getting milage like this because of the tranny and head gasket, before it would get around 16-18 city and 20-24 hwy, and before wasnt even last year, i have the tranny and head gasket sitting in my uncles shop, im just waiting until he has some time to fix it

it only has 160k on it, mostly freeway, im not gonna let her go yet

lol ok well i guess $50 wont be enough, ill spend more if i have to

i have to wait a year until i go to college before i can get another car

You can only use ss in a gen. Brass and copper both corrode when exposed to the catalyst. ss and plastic in the generator.

THEhomelessONE
09-23-2008, 09:15 PM
alright thanks

my fuel line is looking pretty shitty, but i dont see any spills where i park?
and i cant see any wet spots under the car other than around the water pump area, and its coolant, i need to check whether the smell is noticable when the car is on the ON position or actually running, im going to laugh if i got shitty MPG because of a fuel line

pj91gsx
09-25-2008, 07:46 PM
gas leaks can get you. My brother had a pin hole in a fuel line off the gas tank, he still got 27 mpgs in his e36 L6. Especially check your fuel filter. Also if you fuel filter is old its probably wasting gas by making the motor work harder than it needs to be while it is running to lean and crappy.

THEhomelessONE
09-25-2008, 09:35 PM
yea ive never replaced my fuel filter either, but isnt leaner going to mean less fuel consumption lol, id rather have better MPG right now than power

pj91gsx
09-25-2008, 10:08 PM
yea ive never replaced my fuel filter either, but isnt leaner going to mean less fuel consumption lol, id rather have better MPG right now than power

yes it does mean less gas, but also means it runs crappy. so you will spend more time accelerating. how many miles?

THEhomelessONE
09-25-2008, 10:37 PM
well ill be happy with atleast 16 city and 20-25 hwy

my dads sequoia gets 16 city and 22hwy, and accelerates twice as fast as me lol, so i should be getting better gas with a smaller engine (4.7 vs 3.4) and less weight, (3900 vs 5000)

pj91gsx
09-25-2008, 10:47 PM
if it was me and I had the tools, I would do a compression test and see the condition of the engine. Maybe get a 325i like mine, it easily gets 20 driving it fast and 25+ depending on the roads and how it is driven. keep in mind that if you want really good mpgs get a 6 speed or change your driving habits.

THEhomelessONE
09-25-2008, 10:53 PM
im just going to get a truck for my next car, diesel, hopefully this winter break so i can run biodiesel, my uncle makes the stuff at his shop so ill get free gas basically lol and they are like tanks, good for over 400k miles, ill be driving her easy

only other car im going to get anytime soon is an e30 for a project car next year, ls1 swap

hey when your on it dont you only get like 5 mpg?

pj91gsx
09-25-2008, 10:59 PM
hey when your on it dont you only get like 5 mpg?

lol. most likely, but I dont get on it much at all. I want to take care of this car as much as possible. Im pretty sure im going to have it a long time, I do all the maintainence myself so it not spending too many extra bucks. I like the biodiesel idea, diesel motors last a long time. I have a friend that filled gas in a deisel truck and then went a bought deisel because it ran bad, and It still runs. It still does use a lot of gas but you can throw a hydrogen booster on it too.

THEhomelessONE
09-25-2008, 11:11 PM
lol booster on a diesel aha, like 50mpg in the city, its a 6 speed too :P

i CANT get on it, i miss it soo much, hearing those cylinders spinning at 6800 rpm, smoking hondas everywhere in my boat lol

aha wow, gas in a diesel, its like my motor running on 91 but with a comp ratio of 19.5:1!
proves they can take a beating, and thats why i need one lol

pj91gsx
09-25-2008, 11:23 PM
lol booster on a diesel aha, like 50mpg in the city, its a 6 speed too :P

i CANT get on it, i miss it soo much, hearing those cylinders spinning at 6800 rpm, smoking hondas everywhere in my boat lol

aha wow, gas in a diesel, its like my motor running on 91 but with a comp ratio of 19.5:1!
proves they can take a beating, and thats why i need one lol

get a cummins turbo, I always wanted one of them, but i guess, you probably dont need the power.

THEhomelessONE
09-25-2008, 11:27 PM
thats my first choice, i think its hella raw that they use 6 cyl instead of 8

second choice is an f250 with a 7.3L

but the cummins is also a good few thousand more, i want the newer looking ones, after 02 i think? i dont want to spend more than 15k