PDA

View Full Version : Conditioning a cell

Atm0spher
09-18-2008, 02:28 PM
i have heard alot about conditioning cells but what exactly is conditioning a cell. maybe someone will be able to clear that up.

precaster1@msn.com
09-18-2008, 07:33 PM
I want to know too. Maybe they're being stuckup, kidding, we get answers soon.

Painless
09-18-2008, 07:46 PM
Conditioning a cell involves running it constantly at a low current in order to remove all the impurities from the plates. This can take up to a week.

Basically, drain the electrolyte through a coffee filter once a day to remove all the extractions. Do this daily until the electrolyte no longer requires filtering.

gizzy
09-18-2008, 07:51 PM
I want to know too. Maybe they're being stuckup, kidding, we get answers soon.
I'm not exactly sure what your exactly refering to but, what I read and or seen is when you add your electrolite, You run it for a while. Drain it off in a bucket. Get a cup and skim it off. You do this a few times and it'll clear up the residue on the bottom of your cell. So you put it back in. Run a couple days, drain it and skim it off again and you'll see what I'm refering to. Don't shake up th bucket though. Also they may be refering to when you make a cell to sand it and then be sure to wipe then with alchol. This maybe what ther'er talking about.

precaster1@msn.com
09-18-2008, 07:51 PM
Like how low of a current?

Painless
09-18-2008, 07:59 PM
3 or 4 amps should be sufficient.

BoyntonStu
09-18-2008, 08:59 PM
"maybe someone will be able to clear that up."

Exactly!

BoyntonStu

justaguy
09-18-2008, 09:07 PM
One way to condition your cell is to mix a very strong KOH electrolyte and let your cell soak for about 3 days without connecting the current to it.

Roland Jacques
09-18-2008, 10:53 PM
This may help
http://www.bssa.org.uk/topics.php?article=68

If done right it can make a differance from what i hear.

HYDROTEKPRO
09-18-2008, 11:12 PM
If this process is actually valid and worthwhile (Does anybody really have any observable, factual proof?:confused:), wouldn't this also be accomplished by just draining, rinsing and refilling the cell 3 to 4 weeks after the installation?

EltonBrandd
09-19-2008, 12:12 AM
If this process is actually valid and worthwhile (Does anybody really have any observable, factual proof?:confused:), wouldn't this also be accomplished by just draining, rinsing and refilling the cell 3 to 4 weeks after the installation?

Well said. I conditioned my cell for about 2 months now. Build it and run it, change the electrolyte after the first month and bang!! Its been conditioning itself under your hood the entire time you've been driving!