PDA

View Full Version : New here, pics of 1st generator.

Velocity3x
09-16-2008, 12:04 PM
Hello everyone,
I just joined the forum and thought I'd share my findings. I became interested in HHO about 1 month ago and decided to try my hand at designing and building a generator. The links are jpgs of my 1st unit and they are generated from the working drawings.

The canister holds 2+ liters.
Plate configuration is (12 304 ss plates) +-+-+-+-+-+-
Plate surface area = 557 in2
Plate separation= .100
The top cover is acrylic and all penetrations are O ring sealed.
Case is abs
All screws are 304 ss socket head cap screws.

None of the parts are "off the shelf. All were custom designed and machined for this unit. The unit only cost about $100 to make (if I don't consider the cost of all the CNC machine tools, software and tooling :))

Bench test a few nights ago:
2 liters distilled water/ 5 +/- oz. limon juice concentrate (It was either the limon juice or the Cuervo Gold)
2 hour run time
2 amps
Produced .5 lpm, case remained slight above the room temp of 74 degrees.

2 liters distilled water/ 5 oz. limon juice concentrate
2 hour run time
7 amps
Produced 1.0 lpm, case temp rose to 94 degrees. Terminals remained stone cold.

Tests above 7amps seem to produce little if anymore gas. Gas production on cold startup was immediate.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r240/velocity3x/assem3.jpg?t=1221578730

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r240/velocity3x/assem2.jpg?t=1221580264

Good luck to everyone in their efforts.

justaguy
09-16-2008, 08:35 PM
1 lpm at 7amps with no heat, great job.

mario brito
09-16-2008, 08:52 PM
1 LPM @ 7Amps, with no neutrals and no heat ? How the hell did you do that ? :confused:

What was the voltage input ?

Could you post some pictures of the actual cell ?

The only difference I can tell from you cell and others is the lemon juice...

Even Mr. Smith's cell takes more then twice the Amps to produce 1LPM.

I really don't understand. I'm going to try lemon juice on my cell and report back.

Thanks

mario brito
09-16-2008, 09:07 PM
According to this MMW calculator, your cell's efficiency is 11.90 MMW !!!!!

Assuming you're using a 12V power supply.

http://www.watervan.co.uk/tools.php

Is this possible ?

Thanks

sumdude
09-16-2008, 09:26 PM
wow i'll believe that when i see a video. 1 L at 7 amps assuming its not a crazy hookup like stan meyer................................. :rolleyes:

Velocity3x
09-16-2008, 09:41 PM
Mario,
I forgot to mention that the plates are .078 and I used 12v. I added small amount of limon juice and gradually added more to obtain a hearty, conductive broth. After running many hours, I opened the unit and it was pristine inside so, limon juice seems ok. I'll post some actual pics next week. I dropped the acrylic cover and cracked it and I make a new one in a few days. As for how I did it or why it works I couldn't tell you....... I just set out to make something that looked good! I have no idea what is considered to be "Good Production" as I'm very new to this.

justaguy
09-16-2008, 10:43 PM
Just curious, how did you do the liter test?

Velocity3x
09-16-2008, 11:26 PM
I filled a .586ml bottle with water and inverted it in a bucket of water. I inserted the hose in the bottle while it was inverted and began the timer. The bottle filled in 34-35 seconds. How much gas should a unit with 12 large plates put out? I'm really disappointed as I've seen ads on e-bay claiming anywhere from 1.5 to 4 lpm for their units and some doing it with only 2 plates. Any help or advise you could give me would be most appreciate.

mario brito
09-17-2008, 08:07 AM
I filled a .586ml bottle with water and inverted it in a bucket of water. I inserted the hose in the bottle while it was inverted and began the timer. The bottle filled in 34-35 seconds. How much gas should a unit with 12 large plates put out? I'm really disappointed as I've seen ads on e-bay claiming anywhere from 1.5 to 4 lpm for their units and some doing it with only 2 plates. Any help or advise you could give me would be most appreciate.

Don't be disappointed. They're runnig way more Amps ! If your numbers are correct, your cell is much more efficient.

Thanks

justaguy
09-17-2008, 08:27 PM
Don't change anything, you have what most are trying to do, low amps and low heat with good lpm. You can increase your amps and get more lpm but the heat will rise with it. You still have room for increase though.

As the saying goes, if it ain't broke don't fix it. If you want more hho build a second or even third generator exactly like this one and hook them up in series.

Velocity3x
09-17-2008, 09:21 PM
Thanks for your encouraging words, Mario & Justaguy. The way my unit runs is purely an accident. I wanted to build a clean, well built design that would produce BUCKETS of HHO! The word "efficiency" never entered my mind until it was mentioned earlier in this thread. I just wanted Buckets of gas per minuet and never gave thought to anything else. I don't know enough about HHO and generators to know what is good or bad. Based on claims that I've seen on ebay, I felt that my unit was a dismal failure when it only produced 1lpm during initial testing. I was ready to scrap it out and move on to a new project. Now I'm thinking I'll stick with it and try improving it if possible. I used the limon juice concentrate only because I began testing late at night and it was the only thing in my shop that would work. I'll try increasing the dosage and see what changes occur.
Thanks again for your words.