PDA

View Full Version : stainless quality?

fishkiller72
09-16-2008, 12:28 AM
I work at an R.V. service center and we use a lot of stainless trim and moulding. I was thinking of using some for an HHO generator. How can you determine the grade of the stainless(306,316,etc)?

richardb200373
09-16-2008, 04:30 PM
Not sure how you can find that out except looking at some paper work that came with it. I would suggest buying a small piece so you know exactly what you are working with. You can buy smaller pieces instead of a whole sheet from this place called www.sliceofstainless.com . I would recommend 0.050, 18 ga. I tried 0.025, works ok, but bends up a bunch if you cut it with shears. I have seen other guys on here talking about cutting with a dremmel tool or an air cut off tool, I'm actualy going to buy a cut off tool and go with the 18 ga. my self. Also, use a drill press, a regular drill at high speed with burn up your bits in nothing flat, I burned quite a few up, enough to pay for a small drill press probably. I would suggest doing everything the right way the first time with no short cuts, ends up being less expensive in the long run if you realy want to build one of these things.

Q-Hack!
09-16-2008, 05:07 PM
I do know that some of your lower grades of stainless steel are magnetic. Past that, I think it is almost impossible to tell for sure.

mytoyotasucks
09-16-2008, 10:16 PM
316 for positive, 304 for neutrals, and negatives can be either 316 or 304, just remember that 304 will slowly disolve over time on a positive.

this is from what i have read.

H2OPWR
09-21-2008, 02:22 PM
It is doubtful that stainless that is used on anything for appearance is 316L. The higher chromium and Nickel and lower carbon in 316L makes it much more expensive and really does nothing for the appearance of the finished. Most 316L stainless is used where exposure to harsh conditions is a reality. As for drilling use a drill press and a drill vice to hold your work. Use only high quality cobalt bits, lots of thread cutting oil and go slow. No more than 600 rpm. Let the bit do the work with low pressure. Your bit will last forever this way.