PDA

View Full Version : Help with rust and such

VanHalen
09-14-2008, 11:45 PM
O K building my first generator here, and picked up some regular steel bolts, nuts, brackets, and washers to use at Home Depot. I ran a test run of it for about 5 minutes, and saw the bolts and such were rusting already(Not the plates they are 316ss). The kicker, I was using baking soda, although I have potash. I know baking soda is very corrosive, so if I used Potash(KOH) is it going to eat the bolts away like baking soda?

mytoyotasucks
09-15-2008, 12:11 AM
O K building my first generator here, and picked up some regular steel bolts, nuts, brackets, and washers to use at Home Depot. I ran a test run of it for about 5 minutes, and saw the bolts and such were rusting already(Not the plates they are 316ss). The kicker, I was using baking soda, although I have potash. I know baking soda is very corrosive, so if I used Potash(KOH) is it going to eat the bolts away like baking soda?

u need to use SS bolts and nuts, they dont cost alot more, and are worth it, im looking for a better wire connector.

hydrotinkerer
09-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Everything inside the cell has to be plastic or stainless.

VanHalen
09-15-2008, 12:00 PM
O K thanks. Guess Ill check out ace hardware. Do they make stainless steel brackets, or does anyone have an idea to suspend my cells from my lid?

mytoyotasucks
09-15-2008, 12:16 PM
O K thanks. Guess Ill check out ace hardware. Do they make stainless steel brackets, or does anyone have an idea to suspend my cells from my lid?

most use SS strap or thread rod, right now since im still experimenting, im using 12 gauge silicon covered wire. Im still going to test if SS strap or thread rod is better.

donnylynn
09-15-2008, 01:18 PM
VanHalen
At the time that I was having my plates cut, there was a small area left over so I had it cut into 1/2' wide strips that I used to make brackets to suspend my plate assembly with. See the link in my signature for pix.

VanHalen
09-15-2008, 03:40 PM
VanHalen
At the time that I was having my plates cut, there was a small area left over so I had it cut into 1/2' wide strips that I used to make brackets to suspend my plate assembly with. See the link in my signature for pix.

Hey Donny thanks thats exactly was I was looking for.