PDA

View Full Version : 2003 FORD FOCUS, HH0, MAF ENHANCER, still no mpg increase ??

focus_hho
09-14-2008, 11:07 PM
I have installed an HHO generator and MAF enhancer on a 2003 Ford Focus ZTW wagon with 2.0 (VIN 3) DOHC engine. I normally avg 30-32 mpg. Using water4gas designed cell, started with electrolyte solution of sodium hydroxide (Raobic drain cleaner), using DI water produced at a water treatment plant for boiler use. After 200 mile test run, my milage actually went down 1-2 mpg.

With one-half teaspoon I get 6.3 amps, with three quarters teaspoon I get 9 amps, so I’m confident my cell is producing gas. Inserted tube from generator in bucket of water and see about 1 bubble per 2-3 seconds coming out. Injecting gas in vacuum port in intake manifold just below butterfly.

I have installed the MAF enhancer (water4gas design) which is a fixed resistor (33K) with 50K potentiometer. I have a Car Code OBD interface, so I am able to pull data out of computer. When I increase the pot setting, the MAF voltage drops from about 0.8vdc (engine warm, idle speed) to around 0.6 where it starts to run rough/ping, then I back off slightly.

My understanding is that when I decrease the MAF voltage going to ECU, that says less mass air flow through engine and ECU will consequently try to “lean” out A/F ratio. I monitor short term fuel trim values and when I lower MAF voltage the trim values go upward from 0-5% to 25-30% positive. My understanding here is that positive percentage values on trim mean it is “enriching” A/F ratio while negative means “leaning” A/F ratio. It appears that I am not going in the right direction to “lean” out engine? Also my check engine light comes on with P0171(?) code for “system too lean”.

I’ve noticed the fuel trim numbers will go to 0 sometimes during test run when check engine light is on. Am I going too far with enhancer and my ECU is using default fuel trims due to P0171 code? Why are my fuel trims going positive?

I’m contemplating changing the injection point to air intake between MAF sensor and butterfly but don’t think this will help much.

Another problem is the electolyte solution turns to brown muddy mixture and is about 50% consumed after about 120 miles. I had read that I should expect 700-900 miles out of quart of solution?

Any tips/advice greatly appreciated.

Stevo
09-14-2008, 11:21 PM
Water4gas uses cheaper stainless. I didn't know you could modify your MAF as I thought you could only modify your MAP easily. MAF sensors are pretty complicated and I'm not sure an "enhancer" will help. Try 316L stainless and you will not see that brown crap in your water. I had a 2000 Ford Contour once upon a time and couldn't adjust anything except for the Intake Air Temperature sensor. Try that. Good luck, you are up against some pretty advanced technology under the hood (e.g. no distributor, probably drive by wire ect.).

Roland Jacques
09-15-2008, 08:49 AM
1 bubble per 2-3 seconds is nothing, that may take an hour to produce 1litter of HHO. 0.75 to 1.0 Litters per MINITE is a good starting point IMO.

I also understand that you should not try to enhance the MAF for most cars, MAP and or O2 sensors is what you need to get right.

focus_hho
09-15-2008, 12:00 PM
Yes, the cheaper 304 may be causing the sludge problem. I'm building my own cell this time using SS plates. As far as the MAF goes, I'm still trying to find someone who has adjusted it with any success. My Ford only uses MAF, it has no MAP sensor.

Anybody have experience with modifying the O2 sensor, expecially with Ford applications with MAF sensor only? I understand it's a switching DC output and would be somewhat tricky to adjust, but not impossible.

RMForbes
09-15-2008, 02:49 PM
The adjustment has to be done to the EPROM chip in the ECU not on the sensor itself. There are ODBII scanners available on the market that will allow you to reprogram the chip. You will need to do your homework as to which parameters need to adjusted and which scanners can perform this application for you.

scubasteve1043
09-15-2008, 09:32 PM
Hi focus hho, I have an o2 focus and I tried the water4gas on mine and had the same results as you, worse milage. I didn't get any bubbles from mine in a bottle of water but I could see it generating plenty of bubbles from the cell. If you have any pics of your new setup I would like to see, especially where you put your generator in the car b/c theres not much room. I'm working on building a new generator also, I built a 12 plate cell using the smacks booster design but I'm waiting on the new housing for it to come in the mail. Anyways keep me informed how its going with your focus.

bergs23
01-13-2010, 01:47 AM
Any updates on Ford Focus 03 MGP increases?

bergs23
01-14-2010, 01:56 AM
I'm new to this stuff and I wanted to see if i could make the wet cell design, just for fun. So my design is 2"X4" -||||||+ spaced about 2mm apart and the only side that really bubles up is the negative side, only tiny bubles. The mixture is 1 gal with 2 tsp of NAOH (stuff from lowes) any reason why there are no bubles?

bergs23
01-14-2010, 03:19 PM
by the way how big and how are the equalizing holes aligned? how are the holes for the exit fitting aligned that has a lot to do with voltage leaks.

my holes to align the plates is 1/4 size drill bit, and the hole for the attached wire is 8-32 size bolt hole. which is insulated up to the plate, does that make sense? i would post a picture but can't find my battery charger for my camera :(