PDA

View Full Version : Safety question about Hexavalent Chromium

donnylynn
09-14-2008, 09:22 PM
I have to wonder if we might be putting ourselves at risk. I have been experimenting with a cell in my garage. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had minor problems with leaks. On occasion, I have gotton electrolyte on my hands. I am careful to never put my hands near my mouth and I always wash them thoroughly when I am finished. I am also carefull not to breath any vapors from the cell. There have been a couple of times about an hour or so after I quit work that I have noticed a metallic taste in my mouth. This got me to wondering so I did a web search and found this. Notice the comments about skin absorption.

http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/files/NTPHexaVChrmFactR5.pdf

http://www.springerlink.com/content/w533313830475621/fulltext.pdf?page=1

Bottom line, am I tasting the NaOH, the Cr, or do I have an overactive imagination?

Q-Hack!
09-14-2008, 09:39 PM
Interesting... I am not sure that anybody has actually tested the electrolyte solution to find out just how much Cr(VI) is in solution. I suspect that the longer you use a cell the more you leach out. So, if you are still using the same electrolyte from 6 months ago, that would be worse than if you just put new electrolyte in yesterday. As to why you are tasting it??? Sounds like you are using reasonable precautions when handling the electrolyte, so I don't know.

Have you started taking any new medications lately? I know that I was once on a pill that left a metallic taste in my mouth.

donnylynn
09-14-2008, 09:43 PM
No new meds. The electrolyte solution only has about 20 hours or less of "powered on" time. I'm still in the early stages of experimentation.

Probably a good idea to get me some rubber gloves, just as a precaution.

John79
09-14-2008, 10:08 PM
If Hexavalent Chromium is in the plates your using its also in the electrolyte. But I believe its only in trace amounts and as long as you don't drink the water you should be ok. Rubber gloves are also a good idea if your that worried about it.

Q-Hack!
09-14-2008, 10:37 PM
Breathing the fumes from welding stainless steel... BAD!

Drinking water that contains Cr(VI)... BAD!

Getting a little electrolyte on you... Probably ok, as long as you wash it off. also depending on concentration of same. :eek:

Smith03Jetta
09-15-2008, 11:26 AM
I would suggest that if you are concerned about Hex Chromium you should build a second Electrolyzer. This electrolyzer only needs two electrodes. They should be made of Iron. Put your waste water in the electrolyzer and let it run. The Iron will catalyze the Hex Chromium and turn it into Trivalent Chromium which is not dangerous. The water should then be safe to pour down the septic system.

The Iron electrodes will eventually be used up in the electrolyzer.

Here's a rule of thumb for you. Treat is just like you would if you were taking a vacation to Mexico... Don't drink the Water!

justaguy
09-15-2008, 10:03 PM
I don't know if this is your case but a couple weeks ago a coworker said his wife complained of metallic taste in her mouth. My daughter is a nurse practioner and I asked her what would cause that. She said it could be certain meds like antibiotics or also a lack of certain nutrients in your body.

After I told him what my daughter said, it turns out that his wife had been dieting, so in her case was probably lack of nutrients. It could be something like this for the reason you have this taste.

Stevo
09-15-2008, 10:59 PM
I would suggest that if you are concerned about Hex Chromium you should build a second Electrolyzer. This electrolyzer only needs two electrodes. They should be made of Iron. Put your waste water in the electrolyzer and let it run. The Iron will catalyze the Hex Chromium and turn it into Trivalent Chromium which is not dangerous. The water should then be safe to pour down the septic system.

The Iron electrodes will eventually be used up in the electrolyzer.

Here's a rule of thumb for you. Treat is just like you would if you were taking a vacation to Mexico... Don't drink the Water!

Wow, good to know. I am assuming you have tried this and it works well? Do you have any links or resources on CrVI catalyzing? I'm searching, but not finding much that makes sense to me.

Smith03Jetta
09-16-2008, 12:56 PM
I posted some waste disposal information on this a while back. I can't remember where it is but it is on this forum. Search for Hexavalent Chromium.

Another thing that can cause a metallic taste in your mouth is gum disease or a loose tooth. If blood gets in your mouth it can give off a metallic taste.

Stevo
09-17-2008, 09:39 AM
Found it:

http://www.hhoforums.com/showpost.php?p=2611&postcount=19

Good information that I think everyone needs to know about waste disposal if building these cells. Thanks!

I also found another useful link here:

http://www.finishing.com/122/15.shtml

Haywire Haywood
09-29-2008, 09:14 AM
Have a look here. http://www.finishing.com/122/15.shtml it appears that unless you have a sludge of some kind settle out of your solution that you've just cleared the water and not converted the chrome.

Ian