PDA

View Full Version : Acetone added straight to your gas?

HHOhoper
09-13-2008, 05:31 PM
My brother just recently told me about some research he's done about adding small amounts of pure acetone straight to your gasoline to improve MPG. He tested it on his eclipse and he saw a 6 MPG increase. I had NEVER heard of this and decided to dig in a little deeper. I found this article that seemed very interesting:

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone

If this can really work, that would be fantastic to run in tandem with HHO as long as there are no draw backs. Where I'm brand new to this concept, I'm curious to know if anyone else has heard of this or has any experience!

Thanks all!

wrxdrvr
09-13-2008, 05:55 PM
I have been putting Acetone in my gas tank for 3+ years experimenting how much works the best, and came to the conclusion that 1 1/2 oz per tank works the best on my car (a WRX impreza). Here are my mileage numbers for the last 6 years, total average MPG per year;

'02; 21.8 MPG No additive in tank
'03; 22.1 MPG No additive in tank
'04; 21.4 MPG No additive in tank
'05; 22.5 MPG Experiment with 4oz Acetone per tank
'06; 22.8 MPG Experiment with 3oz Acetone per tank
'07; 23.8 MPG Experiment with 1 1/2oz Acetone per tank

That works out to 1.3 MPG better fuel mileage per year on average with acetone than without, or 2.4 MPG better from worst year without to best year with acetone... So as far as I'm concerned it does work, 6% to 11% better MPG for 23 cents a tank is pretty good... :)

hydrotinkerer
09-13-2008, 06:15 PM
I have been putting Acetone in my gas tank for 3+ years experimenting how much works the best, and came to the conclusion that 1 1/2 oz per tank works the best on my car (a WRX impreza). Here are my mileage numbers for the last 6 years, total average MPG per year;

That works out to 1.3 MPG better fuel mileage per year on average with acetone than without, or 2.4 MPG better from worst year without to best year with acetone... So as far as I'm concerned it does work, 6% to 11% better MPG for 23 cents a tank is pretty good... :)

Have you ever had any kind of fuel repairs like pump, injectors, fuel lines. A guy told me that acetone in fuel just messes stuff up. I had to ask so I can rub it in. Especially with your chart above.

DaneDHorstead
09-13-2008, 06:22 PM
I have been told that both xylol and acetone both work in similar manor.

I have considered it, but have not yet tried it.

Note that I was told to use 3 oz each (both xylol, and acetone), per every 10 gallons, but If I try it, I would start with a lower concentration.

wrxdrvr
09-13-2008, 06:30 PM
Have you ever had any kind of fuel repairs like pump, injectors, fuel lines. A guy told me that acetone in fuel just messes stuff up. I had to ask so I can rub it in. Especially with your chart above.

Never, no problems whatsoever. Think about it 1 1/2 oz. in 15.5 gallons of gas won't make it that much more corrosive than it already is... My car now has 289,500KMs/181,000Miles, still stock everything as far as the fuel injection/fueling goes. :cool:

hydrotinkerer
09-13-2008, 06:37 PM
Never, no problems whatsoever. Think about it 1 1/2 oz. in 15.5 gallons of gas won't make it that much more corrosive than it already is... My car now has 289,500KMs/181,000Miles, still stock everything as far as the fuel injection/fueling goes. :cool:

Thanks for the info!

HHOhoper
09-13-2008, 06:54 PM

How many gallons of gas does your tank hold. I just went and filled my tank up and added acetone at 2 oz. for every ten gallons of gas. What ratio do you use?

BoyntonStu
09-13-2008, 06:55 PM
Only it tasted lousy and my MPG was not increased.

BoyntonStu

Laughing just thinking about it!

wrxdrvr
09-13-2008, 08:02 PM
How many gallons of gas does your tank hold. I just went and filled my tank up and added acetone at 2 oz. for every ten gallons of gas. What ratio do you use?

60L/15.78 US gallons. I put in 1 1/2 oz. of acetone per tank. Different gas/engine set ups may need different ratios to work.

mytoyotasucks
09-14-2008, 01:18 AM
60L/15.78 US gallons. I put in 1 1/2 oz. of acetone per tank. Different gas/engine set ups may need different ratios to work.

I found that acetone was to haed to keep using, cause it likes to eat plastic, and would eat my funnel.

and i tried it 2 years ago.

just found not worth it. just my .06 cents worth.

D

DaneDHorstead
09-14-2008, 12:51 PM
Stu;

Don't stand to close to a fire, if you fart!

(it's supposed to go in the car, not in the driver).

Stevo
09-14-2008, 01:47 PM
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/9319/searchhz1.jpg

Haywire Haywood
09-14-2008, 05:14 PM
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/9319/searchhz1.jpg

Uh Huh... I see. No I don't. What does that mean?

Ian

Stevo
09-14-2008, 09:01 PM
Uh Huh... I see. No I don't. What does that mean?

Ian

Something along the lines of this:

Only it tasted lousy and my MPG was not increased.

BoyntonStu

Laughing just thinking about it!

Haywire Haywood
09-14-2008, 09:06 PM
Ah... no wait.. I still don't understand... LOL

Ian

P.S. I bought a quart of acetone today to try.

Boltazar
09-14-2008, 09:27 PM
Isn't acetone added to gas by the gas companies. It raises the octaine. I use 2 oz per 10 gal to regular gas. That's 4 oz per tankfull. I use a dry gas container and keep it in my tool box.

wrxdrvr
09-14-2008, 09:31 PM
I think it's Toluene, Xylene, Methanol, Ethanol, Isopropyl Alcohol, Tertiary Butyl Alcohol and MTBE that's added as an octane booster.

Smith03Jetta
09-15-2008, 11:31 AM
I did a test on Acetone before I started testing HHO. I did get a gas mileage boost from using Acetone. The best ratio for my car is about 1.5 ounces per 10 gallons of gasoline. If you use too much you will start to get reduced gas mileage. There is a specific amount that you should use. It's somewhere between 1 and 2 ounces per 10 gallons.

Just be careful and don't get it on your hands or car paint while putting it in your tank.

Roland Jacques
09-15-2008, 03:06 PM
http://www.brightgreen.us/free_tips/fuel_additive_info.pdf

This guy claims 20% plus improvement on MPG, in his car. II believe it is a carburated car.
Im temped to try it. Maybe a half does first.

Roland Jacques
09-15-2008, 03:20 PM
search gas aditives or acetone here lots of info. but the guy who uses it most uses the above forula at half doose.
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/watercar/msearch?query=acetone&pos=30&cnt=10

redneckgearhead34
09-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Mr. Smith,

What was your mpg increase? Just curious dont know if I want to try it or not.

wrxdrvr
09-16-2008, 02:30 PM
I found that acetone was to haed to keep using, cause it likes to eat plastic, and would eat my funnel.

D

Well I find it worth it for sure. For 35 cents/tank of gas I get another 50 Kms/30+ miles per tank. :)
Last year I filled up 73 tanks/year = $25.55 for Acetone for which I drove an EXTRA 3,650 KMs/2,190 Miles. :)

Smith03Jetta
09-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Mr. Smith,

What was your mpg increase? Just curious dont know if I want to try it or not.

I can't remember now. It seemed to have more power and a few extra MPG. I thought I'd try to get this HHO stuff figured out and then maybe go back to adding some acetone. I quit using Acetone because I didn't want my HHO test results to appear skewed any way by a fuel additive like Acetone.

Haywire Haywood
09-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Well, the testing has begun. I put 4oz in my 25 gallon tank today when I filled up. I'll let you know what my mileage turns out to be. Normally I get 15mpg with my 4.6L F150.

Ian

donsimpson12
09-16-2008, 09:13 PM
I've been using it off and on for a while now..

I saw a good boost in MPG for a few tanks and a noticeable increase in power. I have found that almost 2 ounces per 10 gallons in the duramax..

But.. I did notice this...

When the weather turned hotter, I wasn't getting the power or the MPG gains as I was when it was cooler in the spring. I was guessing that the acetone was evaporating at a faster rate when summer hit..

Just something to look for in your testing.

I also found that I got better gains when using for a tank, then taking a break for a tank.. Then using it again.. ??? Don't know the answer to this part though.. ??

Carolinablue
09-16-2008, 09:27 PM
Here is a pretty good site on the use of acetone in gas and the effects on different model vehicles.

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Acetone_as_a_Fuel_Additive

Haywire Haywood
09-17-2008, 05:25 AM
Anyone ever thought about combining the acetone and hydrogen? One of those docs says that acetone has a leaning effect on the engine at higher concentrations (1oz per gallon) and they were intentionally inducing a small exhaust leak upstream of the O2 sensor to get the computer to richen the fuel. They claim crazy numbers when doing that... 100%+ mpg increase due to more power and not having to keep the pedal so close to the floor.

All these sites that claim gov't conspiracy and put out the "they're out to get us" information always smack of BS to me. Anytime I see big claims and "they're hiding it from us" together automatically puts the claims in question.

Ian

Riddler250
09-18-2008, 11:48 AM
What if you added acetone to the cell in very small parts to keep the water from freezing. I wonder if the acetone would improve economy that way?

Smith03Jetta
09-18-2008, 05:28 PM
Since I'm currently trying to fix my NaOH vapor problem that's messing up my aluminum parts, I thought I'd do a test with the Acetone. I'm not running HHO so now would be a perfect time to test the Acetone for MPG results. 1.5oz per 10 gallons.

precaster1@msn.com
09-19-2008, 11:32 AM
Since I'm currently trying to fix my NaOH vapor problem that's messing up my aluminum parts, I thought I'd do a test with the Acetone. I'm not running HHO so now would be a perfect time to test the Acetone for MPG results. 1.5oz per 10 gallons.
Your scaring me, what is your vapor problem?

mytoyotasucks
09-19-2008, 12:49 PM
well if u are using NaHO u will smell the problem, salt has problems, backing soda also.
thats y im switching to KOH (I bought 10 pounds of it).

Smith03Jetta
09-19-2008, 12:52 PM
I mentioned this on my thread but I'll repeat for you:

Both my HHO devices put out a pretty decent volume of gas (1 - 1.5 liters) but any device that puts out that much HHO also puts out some water vapor that contains trace amounts of your Electrolyte. That electrolyte is pulled in past your throttle body and into your intake and into your cylinders. The vapors will eventually settle on the aluminum parts and start to corrode them.

I did not find this out until this week. I had some Non-HHO related car problems. My Brake booster went out. I also had a bad vacuum hose on my fuel pressure regulator. I had a bad Coolant Temp Sensor too. When I tore down my engine to fix these problems I discovered the corroding aluminum parts.

I'm talking specifically about the Throttle body housing. It should have been nice and shiny after I cleaned it but it had lost it's shiny finish and was pitting in certain places, Heavy pitting was occurring near where the plastic air plenum connected to the throttle body. I also had mineral deposits on the side walls that were inhibiting the butterfly valve from freely moving. There's no way this could have occured under normal operating conditions. I've checked...

The only thing under my hood that could have caused it was the Sodium Hydroxide. It eats Aluminum for lunch.

I cleaned my throttle body. It had oil and chemical buildup on it. It was causing my engine to run like crap. After cleaning it and putting it back together my engine started running like new again.

The only problem I've got now is trying to FOOLPROOF my HHO gas output so I don't get any NaOH in my intake. Some people on this forum (Including myself, probably) have stated that the electrolyte will stay in the HHO generator but IT IS NOT TRUE! I've got a damaged throttle body to prove it. It still functions properly but it will eventually quit working if the corrosion gets much worse. I'll be out $500 to replace it.

Now you can do what you will with this information but I would sincerely recommend that EVERYBODY on this forum inspect your throttle body for corrosion, regardless of what electrolyte you are using in your HHO Gen. You may not be able to see the corrosion on your carb or throttle body but you can use throttle body cleaner to clean your throttle body and Carb cleaner to clean your Carb to be able to do an inspection. It is definitely worth the 5 to 10 dollars to clean your throttle body. Cleaning it will definitely make your car run better and use less gas even if you don't have corrosion.

Be extremely careful and gentle while cleaning your throttle body. I recommend removing it from your car to clean it. There are sensitive electronic components/sensors that can be damaged if you drop it or use carb cleaner instead of throttle body cleaner. Trust me on this. Look up instructions on GOOGLE for cleaning your specific type of throttle body. They will come in handy.

The throttle body should be shiny on the inside after cleaning. If it is not, then you've got problems.

This is a warning... Please take heed!

HHOhoper
09-23-2008, 08:14 PM
I just got done testing a tank with acetone. I did 3 oz. per 10g. Didn't notice a difference. Probably should try leaning it.

Dewayne
09-23-2008, 09:09 PM
Sounds like it's time to start test graphite where you can use tap or distilled water with no other additives.

pj91gsx
09-23-2008, 11:26 PM

D

im my case it would eat my gas tank then.:( Would it be worth the money to put it in, 1 1/2 bottles is 9 bucks.

wrxdrvr
09-23-2008, 11:45 PM
im my case it would eat my gas tank then.:( Would it be worth the money to put it in, 1 1/2 bottles is 9 bucks.

It's 1 1/2 oz.. not bottles. And you should be able to buy a gallon for around 20$ or less.

Roland Jacques
09-23-2008, 11:49 PM
I just got done testing a tank with acetone. I did 3 oz. per 10g. Didn't notice a difference. Probably should try leaning it.

I ran 200 miles on my GMC box van 2oz per 10 gallons. I have not noticed any differance ether. Using Crown brand acetone.

pj91gsx
09-23-2008, 11:50 PM
It's 1 1/2 oz.. not bottles. And you should be able to buy a gallon for around 20$ or less.

oh. well, does it help?

What kind of problems does baking soda have^^ where did you get the KOH^^

donsimpson12
09-24-2008, 06:34 AM
I ran 200 miles on my GMC box van 2oz per 10 gallons. I have not noticed any differance ether. Using Crown brand acetone.

Go to a beauty supply store and get pure acetone.. Don't get the colored stuff from Walmart or Kmart..

Only put in 1.5 to 2 oz per 10 gallons..
Use a glass measuring cup..

Too much will cause the opposite effect and it's a fine line between the right and the wrong amount.

If you put in too much, get some more gas and try to lean down the acetone. Or... Start over next week with a smaller amount.

Don

Smith03Jetta
09-24-2008, 08:21 AM
I put acetone in my tank at the last fill-up like I said I would. I've driven about 240 miles so far and I don't really see a benefit in the MPG department yet. My engine is running a lot better now, though, since I cleaned my throttle body. I'm pretty sure the acetone has very little to do with it.

mytoyotasucks
09-24-2008, 03:31 PM
oh. well, does it help?

I got my KOH from a online store that sells soap supplies - had to buy 20 pounds though - they dont sell small quantities - and wont run out.

Haywire Haywood
09-24-2008, 04:55 PM
just got the results from the first tank with acetone. 4 oz in my 25 gal tank.

Last time I checked my mileage I got around 15 mpg with normal driving. This time I got 15.2 mpg and 50 miles of this tank was interstate, I don't usually drive on the interstate as a part of the normal commute. Guess it doesn't work for me.

Ian

wrxdrvr
09-24-2008, 05:23 PM
oh. well, does it help?

Oops, I thought this was about Acetone. :)