PDA

View Full Version : Effect of electrolyte on stray current

overtaker
09-12-2008, 11:15 PM
I think current wants to take the easiest path back to the source. If a system was built that required very little electrolyte, would you have far less stray current because it would be " easier " to just jump over to the next plate?

BoyntonStu
09-12-2008, 11:41 PM
I think current wants to take the easiest path back to the source. If a system was built that required very little electrolyte, would you have far less stray current because it would be " easier " to just jump over to the next plate?

Low electrolyte concentrations make it harder for electricity to flow.

Current must flow through the electrolyte to go from one plate to another.

BoyntonStu

overtaker
09-13-2008, 12:07 AM
Thanks Stu but my question was more aimed at the unwanted stray current that produces little output. Are cells more efficient ( lpm vs. amps.) that have little electrolyte? :)

1973dodger
09-13-2008, 12:29 AM
Overtaker,

This may speak to the reasoning behind the Boyce design. There is no excess electrolite being charged which is not between the plates, which would amount to wasted current, but will require more periodic filling. As to less electrolyte used, your therory is correct, in that less current would be used, but at the sacrafice of production. There is no replacement for watts used. Notice I say watts, not amps. It is my belief, high voltage low current will do the same work as low voltage high current, given the watts remain the same. However I should say, I have not tested this theroy, so it is only an opinion at this point. Sorry:D:D

1973dodger

BoyntonStu
09-13-2008, 08:38 AM
Thanks Stu but my question was more aimed at the unwanted stray current that produces little output. Are cells more efficient ( lpm vs. amps.) that have little electrolyte? :)

28% KOH has been shown to be the most efficient concentration.

That is what NASA uses for life-or-death oxygen generation.

Search no more.

BoyntonStu

overtaker
09-13-2008, 10:43 AM
Dodger, You had to do that didn't you. :) Stu, I understand the 28%. Let me ask it this way. If you were to build a separate bath series cell ,only the partition walls were say 4" above the plates and the water was filled 2" above that, how would the efficiency differ with a little or lot of electrolyte? With a little electrolyte I would imagine the stray current up and over the 4" high partition walls would be much less but I'm not sure. Thanks again for the replies.

BoyntonStu
09-13-2008, 10:47 AM
Dodger, You had to do that didn't you. :) Stu, I understand the 28%. Let me ask it this way. If you were to build a separate bath series cell ,only the partition walls were say 4" above the plates and the water was filled 2" above that, how would the efficiency differ with a little or lot of electrolyte? With a little electrolyte I would imagine the stray current up and over the 4" high partition walls would be much less but I'm not sure. Thanks again for the replies.

OK

Yes you are correct and that is the exact reason why folks wrap their wet cells.

See Zero's videos on YouTube.

He explains it all.

Start here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT-xja3M6Cg

BoyntonStu