PDA

View Full Version : $5 a gallon in the southeast

Cadillac
09-12-2008, 05:51 PM
I must say gas started the day at $3.58 a gallon for regular at the beginning of the day. It is currently $4.99. Glad I got my system working good. Thanks in part to this site.

I realize that this hurricane in not effecting everybody in the US. Please people quite hording the gas. Just because gas prices are expected to stay this way does not mean you all have to line up to fill up the car/truck. That makes the prices go up more. Currently there are several gas stations completely out of gas in my area because of the hording. Some are putting money amount restrictions so they don't run out.

QUITE HORDING THE GAS IT ONLY MAKES IT HARDER ON YOURSELF AND EVERYONE ELSE.

sm0kin
09-12-2008, 09:24 PM
every gas station all day their were lines and lines of people. My wife filled up this morning and put $130 in my suburban. DAMN YOU IKE, DAMN YOU...

Haywire Haywood
09-12-2008, 09:43 PM
What I don't understand is why the price of gas is going up at all. Up to now, nothing has happened and there is no shortage or interruption of supply. This is all bull just anticipating what MIGHT happen. The state of KY has declared a State of Emergency just so they can prosecute anyone price gouging gas, groceries and building supplies.

It's frikkin ridiculous.
Ian

HHOinKY
09-13-2008, 04:44 AM
What I don't understand is why the price of gas is going up at all. Up to now, nothing has happened and there is no shortage or interruption of supply. This is all bull just anticipating what MIGHT happen. The state of KY has declared a State of Emergency just so they can prosecute anyone price gouging gas, groceries and building supplies.

It's frikkin ridiculous.
Ian

I live in KY, and everyone I've talked to thinks it's ridiculous. Gas is $3.99 here is Louisville.

Chris65
09-13-2008, 06:12 AM
It is typical price gouging by the oil companies. The one thing that always hacked me off is when the crude prices go up. The gas stations raise their prices instantly, even though the gas in their holding tanks was made with the cheaper oil. Then when the price of crude goes back down, they hold the gas prices for a few days and tell you that the gas in the holding tanks was made with the more expensive crude.

In my opinion, the whole oil and gas industry consists of bottom feeding parasites.

cully
09-13-2008, 09:49 AM
i wish i only paid $4.99 for a gallon
or $1.32 ltr = £0.76p ltr
(1 US gallon = 3.78541178 litres)

here in the uk we pay £5.46 = $9.56 a gallon
or $2.10 ltr = £1.20 ltr
(1 UK gallon = 4.55 litres)

Jaxom
09-13-2008, 09:57 AM
Cadillac you are not alone. Here in Tuscaloosa, approximately 40% of the gas stations are completely out of fuel, but it's not just due to people hoarding. One of my customers drives a truck for one of the local fuel distributors (delivering to gas stations) and he said over a week ago that his company had restricted deliveries to about half the normal rate due to a supply shortage. This is not an overnight thing, it's just that the general population (at least in my area) didn't find out about it until yesterday when the gas stations started limiting fuel sales to 10 gallons per customer and all hell broke loose.

BTW where are you located?

wrxdrvr
09-13-2008, 10:14 AM
$4.99 sounds good to me too. :) here in Canada, in BC where I live it's $1.48/L = $5.62/US gallon, for premium it's $ 1.63L = $6.19/US gallon. :(

justaguy
09-13-2008, 06:40 PM
Its not only the oil companies, its the gas stations too. At one station they had long lines waiting and the freaking owner went out and raised the price 50 cents per gallon. Everyone lined up should have backed up and left, that would been funny. :)

hydrotinkerer
09-13-2008, 07:09 PM
We had long gas lines for the last two days. I just went and got gas(no lines)and paid 3.49 a gallon. The wierd thing is I'm 180 miles north of Houston.

justaguy
09-13-2008, 07:20 PM
The same thing happened 2 or 3 years ago during a hurricane. The rumor was that there was going to be a shortage of gas. Everybody lined up at all the stations running most of the stations out for the day. The next day everything was back to normal. People panic too easy making things much worse than they are.

SamB52
09-13-2008, 08:04 PM
If you really want to blame someone, blame the futures market system. I owned a restaurant/gas station for 20 years and it was nearly impossible to make money on gasoline.

For example if I had a 10K gallon tank that needed filling, and gas was retailing for $3 a gallon, it would cost me $2.94 per gallon. (2% profit margin) So that tank would cost me $29,400 to fill. If I sold every oz of it I would have $30,000 to buy the new load of gas...

If the wholesalers went up overnight like they have in B'ham this week, I couldn't fill the tank. If the wholesale price went up a buck it would now take $39,400 to fill. If I was lucky I could jack my margin up to $.08 per gallon at the most. Then the next week when the price dropped back I had gas in the ground that cost me more wholesale than I could sell it for retail. (I literally made more selling a Coke and a brownie than I did selling a tank of gas.)

So I sympathize for that dude that went out and raised the price 50 cents while people were in line, even though I don't like it any more than you guys. He surely thought he was about to have to pay at least 50c more per gallon to replace his inventory.

When I sold the gas station guess what I did for a living for over a year.
Traded oil futures. And it was a heck of a lot easier than retail gas sales. But it sucks as a living, because you aren't adding value to anything or helping anyone. Now I love the poor people trying to make a living providing goods and services, and hate the bast#*#*s up on the computers trading futures contracts. They make money whichever way the price goes, up or down, and laugh at the pumps, because they made $500,000 bettting on a hurricane's effect on the gas supply chain.

I wish the world would go back to cost plus, and get rid of speculative markets altogether.

Yeah, i know...rant rant rant. Sorry. But I feel better getting it off my chest:D

justaguy
09-14-2008, 12:48 AM
Great post Sam.

mytoyotasucks
09-14-2008, 01:13 AM
$4.99 sounds good to me too. :) here in Canada, in BC where I live it's $1.48/L = $5.62/US gallon, for premium it's $ 1.63L = $6.19/US gallon. :(

I was wondering if there was anybody from Canada in this forum.

Im in Alberta, and fuel is 1.419, and one is selling at 1.359.

Bossman
09-14-2008, 11:36 AM
Some stations north of Atlanta went to $5.20 a gallon & ran out. Average around here is $4.99:mad:

Drill baby Drill !!!!

justaguy
09-14-2008, 01:53 PM
If the hurricane did have anything to do with the gas running short, isn't that what the reserves are for? We have a Swifty station here that always are lined up with customers. They jacked their prices up to 4.29 while everyone else stayed at 3.99. The last two days nobody has stopped at swifty, lol. Serves them right.

Cadillac
09-14-2008, 06:29 PM
BTW where are you located?

I am in Tennessee.

For the most part all of the gas stations that where out where going up again by the next day. A small local BP near my house is still out of gas. They put little carboard pieces over each of the pumps with frowning faces on them.

I guess what I find so odd is that all the gas stations had different prices. I found later on after I posted this that some gas stations where selling gas for $3.99, $4.19, $4.49 and $4.99 all at the same time of day. Something seems really weird to me that one can afford to handle the $3.99 while others are a full dollar over that. Odd on one of because some of these gas stations get their gas from the same place even though they have different names.

In my state at least the EPA has lifted a ban on some of their restrictions on clean gas. Still no price drop. It has actually gotten over $5 in Knoxville (the largest city around me).

In the paper it said that there was some sort of state comission that was looking into the response of the local gas stations. Like I said the price differances are really off. I personally think some of these places are price gouging. All of them are doing it now.