PDA

View Full Version : Liquid tape or tool dip material recommendation?

BoyntonStu
09-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Liquid tape or tool dip material recommendation?

Instead of going down a dead end path, I thought that I should ask if anyone could recommend a liquid tape or tool dip material.

Have you used a product in a cell for a time long enough to determine how well it stands up to the electrolyte and the heat.

What product do you recommend, and where is it available?

Thanks,

BoyntonStu

hydrotinkerer
09-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Liquid tape or tool dip material recommendation?

Instead of going down a dead end path, I thought that I should ask if anyone could recommend a liquid tape or tool dip material.

Have you used a product in a cell for a time long enough to determine how well it stands up to the electrolyte and the heat.

What product do you recommend, and where is it available?

Thanks,

BoyntonStu

Neither, Liquid tape in my cell didn't stick for very long. You can't control how deep the tool dip runs between the plates of a cell. I just used spice tape from lowes. It is a non adhesive tape that only sticks to itself.

scrode
09-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Liquid tape didn't last in my cell either, have since changed the connection type so as not having any need for it.

Q-Hack!
09-10-2008, 09:35 PM
I gave the Plasti Dip (tool dip) a try and failed. So far the 3M marine silicone goop is the best thing I have found.

BoyntonStu
09-10-2008, 09:54 PM
There are many liquid rubber products out there that were not designed for electronics.

Many are designed for mold making.

(Nor were switch plate covers)

I wonder how well they work.

Zero used marine goop and he liked it.

I am looking for a product that would flow like a liquid.

BoyntonStu

Q-Hack!
09-10-2008, 10:02 PM
What about Permatex? They make several types of rubber and silicon gaskets in a can. Anybody tried using anything in there line-up?

Checkmate240ZT
09-10-2008, 10:23 PM
I have tried several types of paint to isolate the plate surfaces and nothing worked with the KOH that I'm using. Also tried the spray tape, no good. Tried some spray gasket adhesive from permatex but that would not dry even after seven days. Used some GE silicone and that worked the best and my latest cell I used it to seal everything and it is still hanging in there.

BoyntonStu
09-11-2008, 08:24 AM
I have tried several types of paint to isolate the plate surfaces and nothing worked with the KOH that I'm using. Also tried the spray tape, no good. Tried some spray gasket adhesive from permatex but that would not dry even after seven days. Used some GE silicone and that worked the best and my latest cell I used it to seal everything and it is still hanging in there.

Interesting.

I am glad that the GE Silicone works for you.

Many have reported failure using silicone.

It breaks down in their cells.

Perhaps the brand really matters.

How long have you been running with the GE silicone?

Has anything else worked for you?

BoyntonStu

Checkmate240ZT
09-11-2008, 01:44 PM
I had put the silicone on the back of a couple of plates along with the spray tape on a couple and paint on some others trying to get something to work. Put all of them into a cell and gave it a shot. Everything started to dissolve and started to peel off except the silicone. I tried the silicone plates in a cell for only 4-6 hours of playing around but when the others failed the silicone seamed to work. I have had my new cell assembled for a couple of weeks and all the joints seam to be holding up well on the polycarbonate. The cell does not produce much heat so maybe that is a factor with other people.

bigapple
09-12-2008, 02:20 PM
ive used permatex high temp gasket sealer/maker in the red and black tubes u find in any auto parts section. they withstand very well. i tried the blue and the clear also and it seems that the black and red are the best rtv silicones. im also currently testing spray-on polyurethane by minwax that works well on metal. we'll see if it can withstand the harsh conditions of the electrolyte bath

precaster1@msn.com
09-12-2008, 06:46 PM
Try Smooth-On rubber products.