PDA

View Full Version : Bubbles what size is better???????????

mytoyotasucks
09-10-2008, 12:47 PM
As the title asks, is it better to have big bubbles or smaller ones??

and im talking small ones that dont create bubbles that pop
and bigger bubbles like if u blew into a straw in water.

and the reason im asking is because i started using a diff chemical and it creates bigger bubbles, but doesnt look like it produces as much, but has a bigger amp draw also..

need info

thanx D

mytoyotasucks
09-10-2008, 01:07 PM
here a vid whith bigger bubbles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TB-whHigVo

and smaller bubbles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTdnsH-GSPE

Q-Hack!
09-10-2008, 09:49 PM
I think as long as you are not foaming up, you are good to go with whatever size comes up.

hydrotinkerer
09-10-2008, 10:16 PM
A bubble is a bubble, You still have to measure the gas output to be sure of what your cell is putting out.

pistolpete
09-11-2008, 01:38 AM
the bubble im generating are small ones, but when i use the bubbler i dont see any bubbles at all. and when i look at my generator i see a lots of smalls bubbles (like a can of sprite shaken continuously) and there is white smoke coming out from the output valve which i think is gas

i have a pipe generator with 9' height and configured as + n -,im using a water filter as casing. lye ratio is 1/4 tsp to 1liter distilled water.

i cannot come up with measurement of the output, because i dont see any bubbles at the bubbler

need inputs...

Q-Hack!
09-11-2008, 02:13 AM
I had this problem with one of my early generators. Turned out the output wasn't enough to push through the level of water that I had my upside-down measurement bottle in. Once I brought the end of the hose closer to the surface I was getting a very slow gas production.

pistolpete
09-11-2008, 02:39 AM
thanks for the reply, can you give me inputs on how to solve this problem?

does a very small leak of air affect the generation of bubbles to the bubbler? or should i put more lye? because when i did, the plain fine bubbles became big popping bubbles but the generator became hot in a few seconds. i can barely hold the rods.

Chris65
09-11-2008, 07:47 AM
thanks for the reply, can you give me inputs on how to solve this problem?

does a very small leak of air affect the generation of bubbles to the bubbler? or should i put more lye? because when i did, the plain fine bubbles became big popping bubbles but the generator became hot in a few seconds. i can barely hold the rods.

Yes a small leak will greatly affect the amount of flow through the bubbler. My first canister had several small leaks in it and it actually caused my unit not to push any gas through the bubbler.

There are several ways to check for leaks, but the best way, if you have a compressed air source, is to seal your canister completely, apply about 5 psi air pressure to the canister through one of the fittings, and look for air bubbles. I was shocked to see how much my first canister leaked!:mad: The other way I have used is to put a solution of dish soap and water in a small spray bottle and spray around all of the seams and joints of your canister. If you have a leak you will see bubbles form in the soap water solution.

VanHalen
09-11-2008, 03:19 PM
I had this problem with one of my early generators. Turned out the output wasn't enough to push through the level of water that I had my upside-down measurement bottle in. Once I brought the end of the hose closer to the surface I was getting a very slow gas production.

I had the same problem, but I was using a W4G 2cell design. I'm building a plated design with about 8-10 2 by 6 316 ss plates. I figure on using perferated nuetrals with solid + and -. After I do this, assuming I seal the container right, using potash the bubbles and pressure should be enough to see bubbles out of the bubbler right?