PDA

View Full Version : 40 mil PVC gasket

BoyntonStu
09-10-2008, 10:57 AM
This is the material that I use for sealing gaskets.

Available at HD/Lowes for $5/ft x 48".

Do you believe that 0.040" is too close for spacings?

BoyntonStu

P.S. Coming soon the Metamucilometer

Stevo
09-10-2008, 12:02 PM
Nope, it's perfectly fine. The cell I built uses .03125 gaps and works great. You might find that you get good production with less current since there is less gap. Bubbles will be smaller and thus seem to burst easier.

BoyntonStu
09-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Stevo,

That cell looks very precise.

A beginner? No way.

Do you know the LPM and MMW?

Have you tested any liquid tape type products for wrapping?

Thanks,

BoyntonStu

Haywire Haywood
09-10-2008, 08:23 PM
040 is the gap on ZeroFossilFuel's VSP... something or other cell. He uses zip ties to establish spacing.

Ian

Stevo
09-11-2008, 09:23 AM
Stevo,

That cell looks very precise.

A beginner? No way.

Do you know the LPM and MMW?

Have you tested any liquid tape type products for wrapping?

Thanks,

BoyntonStu

Thanks BoyntonStu. I have tried these things for wrapping with no luck:

3M 700 (195 *F) Electrical Tape - Reverse wrapped meaning that no adhesive touches metal only adhesive to adhesive.
Rubber Splicing tape from Home Depot
Tommy Tape silicone no adhesive self fusing tape
Liquid tape

All of the above come apart after being exposed to as little as 800:1 water to NaOH. My next and hopefully final attempt is with PVC shrink wrap or better yet precisely cut pieces of polycarbonate separating the two center negative plates and creating a sort of open casket while effectively sealing off the sides. I will be using IPS weld-on #16 for the poly and clear Goop Marine adhesive to help seal off any tiny gaps on the sides.

As a side note:

I am using 2 pieces of 5/16" OD chemical/electrical resistant PTFE hosing for the inside bolt runners so that I can use 2 #10 stainless steel bolts for overall cell rigidity. For my washers, I actually use 26 - 1/32" electrical grade/chemical resistant PTFE. All of this allows my spacing to be 1/32" between plates. I am still building my generator housing as the last one I built didn't hold together so well, thus the need for IPS weld-on #16 this time. I will surely post video and pics once I do finish my housing and can take some sort of measurement. I just bought a 15" X 71 1/4" piece of Lexon for $25 plus shipping and received free cuts so at least half of my work is already complete.