PDA

View Full Version : Potentiometers

jmartin915
09-09-2008, 11:11 PM
Has anyone tried using a potentiometer in a signal line to decrease/increase values to the ECU?

Cadillac
09-10-2008, 09:25 PM
That is the idea behind MAF/MAP sensor enhancers.

I know of some people that have did the same to there IAT sensor as well.

jmartin915
09-10-2008, 10:44 PM
A friend of mine works for a company installing an actual kit that can be found at www.fuelmileagepro.com...anywho he told me to throw out the optimizer and go with potentiometers and don't worry about the O2 sensors in my GMC Sierra. So that would mean I would have the MAP/MAF and the IAT left? Am I on the right path?

Cadillac
09-11-2008, 01:25 AM
I am assuming your Sierra is a gasoline version based on your comments.

Is it? What is the year and engine option?

If so I am not really sure what to tell you as in my knowledge your Sierra has both a MAF and MAP which is some what abnormal in the world of cars.

GM has did this before in some 60* V6s to my knowledge. In say one of their 3.8L versions both are used. The MAF is used for primary air to fuel calculations. The MAP is used as a recheck and a moniter over the EGR (exhaust gas recirculator) system. If you had a car like this I would think you could still tamper with the MAF and recieve some positive MPG with minimual troubles.

In most of the Sierras I have seen they have TBI (throttle body injection). I am not sure as what the MAP sensors response might be.

Sinking up the MAP and MAF would probably be kind of hard.

I personally would not recommend messing with the IAT (intake air temperature) sensor. You most likely see no real gains
from this.

MAFs already have potentiometers in them. So yes you are on the right track in terms of thinking. Adjusting the MAP/MAF will effectively change the air to fuel ratio in the car, if done successfully. Most cars/trucks are generally capable of running leaner then stock settings without any HHO. So if this is done smartly you can save some money and not injure vehicle to much over the long haul.

To be totally honest with you unless someone has already experimented with this truck in terms of which sensor to manipulate first you are probably going to have to mess around with them yourself. I would recommend starting with the MAF.

jmartin915
09-11-2008, 08:44 PM
Thank you for the helpful advise. I will pick up a manual before I start installing. A friend of mine does this for a living and I have watched 60 hours of DVDs from his class and will have a mechanic help wire it up and do the adjustments so...keep the fingers crossed.

Thanks again,
Jamie