PDA

View Full Version : Experiment #1: Brazing steel to SS

BoyntonStu
09-09-2008, 01:50 PM
I have been thinking of ways to connect tubes to the end plates of a 'sealed' cell.

What should we call a cell that is not dry and not sealed?

Anyways, using propane/oxygen and an ordinary bronze brazing rod and a little extra flux, I was able to braze a 1/4 -20 steel bolt to the side of a SS pot. (What else?)

It is a very strong bond.

Shown is without cleanup, etc.

I am worried about having anything else in the soup but SS however how slight.

Perhaps a lacquer coating or other dip would passivate worrisome materials?

Put this post in you FWIW department.

BoyntonStu

sp1r0
09-09-2008, 02:45 PM
Ever tried an HHO torch? There are tutorials on youtube.

BoyntonStu
09-09-2008, 04:20 PM
Ever tried an HHO torch? There are tutorials on youtube.

sp1ro,

Thanks.

I would appreciate it if you would share your expertise in brazing to SS using a HHO torch.

Why is it superior to propane/oxygen?

Thanks again in advance for sharing your expertise.

BoyntonStu

sp1r0
09-09-2008, 04:39 PM
I never tried it, I just suggested it. Only expertise I have is in MIG welding. I just rec'd it because they say the HHO torch gets the hottest. You may be able to use SS alone. Last week I was watching some videos made by a guy called rain4fuel. He shows step by step how to make one and another video shows him using it melting granite and all sorts of other stuff.

Painless
09-09-2008, 06:14 PM
I'm no expert in anything to do with welding, but I thought I would throw this into the conversation:

While I was experimenting with one of my close gap open bath designs, I lowered an ss bolt into the water to try and fish out a piece of splicing tape that had come loose. My electrolyzer was switched on and I, by mistake, touched the bolt across the side of a complete parallel set of plates, effectively shorting them out. There was a loud fizzling and the bolt stuck hard to the sides of the plates, I had to remove the plate set and forcefully pull the bolt off.

The reason I mention this is because there exists, if I remember correctly, a method of welding that is simply based upon a high current being passed through the two items to be welded.

Could this be of use here?