PDA

View Full Version : Pool store cell

countryboy18
09-07-2008, 05:05 PM
i was in the pool store and saw the greatest invention a cell that make chlorine from salt water. you just add salt to the pool and plug the cell in to 120 outlet and it makes the chlorine and it goes into the pool. he said it had stainless steel plates with a coating over it to make it last longer. google SALT SYSTEMS.

EltonBrandd
09-07-2008, 05:24 PM
Yea, these systems have been around many years. It takes the salt and converts it to Hypochlorous acid and sodium hydroxide.

Q-Hack!
09-07-2008, 05:38 PM
There is a lot of controversy about the use of these systems. They ruin pool pumps and some have even reported the salt eating away at the stone surface of the pool itself. The one that gets me is that if it is using Stainless Steel parts in the electrolysis process then you leach out the Hexavalent Chromium... Main stream media hasn't addressed this issue yet.

countryboy18
09-07-2008, 09:54 PM
so it not something i should go out and put in my pool. the guy says people love them but the have a high start up cost. i was thinking if we learn could something from there plate designs?

Farmercal
09-09-2008, 10:42 AM
There is a lot of controversy about the use of these systems. They ruin pool pumps and some have even reported the salt eating away at the stone surface of the pool itself. The one that gets me is that if it is using Stainless Steel parts in the electrolysis process then you leach out the Hexavalent Chromium... Main stream media hasn't addressed this issue yet.If they leached Hexavalent Chromium, don't you think the EPA would be all over it? They are into every other by-product produced in America.

sp1r0
09-09-2008, 10:57 AM
I've heard about this hexavalent chromium as well, but as someone else stated in another thread, this is the very stuff that keeps the stainless steel from rusting. So if it was leeching out, then the metal would start to rust, and I've not seen it. This whole scare started over a movie called erin brokovich which was supposedly based on true facts from an electric company dumping this stuff and polluting a towns water system. I've not seen the movie but maybe they address how the stuff was produced but I doubt it.

Q-Hack!
09-09-2008, 01:22 PM
When you chrome plate an item, you use electrolysis to do so. Usually it is in a mild acid to speed up the process, and they use pure Chromium as the source to leach off of. But, the concept is the same with stainless steel. It contains chromium which can be leached out. The EPA may not consider it enough to be a threat since it is in several thousand gallons of water. More than likely though is that they haven't studied it yet.

sp1r0
09-09-2008, 02:43 PM
I don't believe it is just "plated". Chromium makes up a percentage of the total mix of the metal. So maybe the small amount leached out is just the chromium on the outermost layer.