PDA

View Full Version : Power your HHO gen. with the car's waste heat...

Omega
09-05-2008, 09:04 PM
I came across this video on YouTube and thought that it might be interesting. The video approaches the concept of powering your HHO generator with the cars waste heat. I haven't tried it, but it seems to be a novel idea that just might solve some inherent problems with the production of HHO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk6YeiIDr3s

What do you guys think??? :confused::confused:

djerickd
09-05-2008, 09:24 PM
I wonder how much it costs..

redneckgearhead34
09-05-2008, 09:27 PM
This is very interesting. Two may be installed for those with "V" style engines. Although they are might pricy

sumdude
09-05-2008, 10:10 PM
Very cheap technology that actually works. Basically it takes the heat from the exhaust pipe and through heat exchange this technology actually creates electricity. It does work and im currently working on getting this to work for my generator.

Im not using my exhaust pipe however im using the exhaust manifold under the hood. will post results in a couple days as i get everything working.

redneckgearhead34
09-05-2008, 10:47 PM
To sumdude:

How much did you pay for yours and where did you get it from

BoyntonStu
09-05-2008, 10:53 PM
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060227/FREE/302270007/1023/THISWEEKSISSUE

How about this direct method?

BoyntonStu

sumdude
09-05-2008, 10:55 PM
To sumdude:

How much did you pay for yours and where did you get it from

Fabricating it myself. I've known about this technology since the 90's. Nothing new. Its the same technology used in portable cup heaters/coolers etc.

sumdude
09-05-2008, 11:01 PM
But seriously though. Sorry for jumping to another topic but its sad to say why the U.S. cannot resolve the issue of this energy crisis we are going though. A couple of years from now most car will NOT have an alternator. BMW already started using this technology in some concept cars ive seen.

With this thermal heat technology you can boil water in a matter of seconds-mins. and freeze water at the same rate.

redneckgearhead34
09-05-2008, 11:08 PM
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060227/FREE/302270007/1023/THISWEEKSISSUE

How about this direct method?

BoyntonStu

I just read this article. It is very interesting and has very good potential. Although, it requires a huge amount of knowledge of motors to make any sort of modifications that are effective.

I know I would not even think about attempting it.

redneckgearhead34
09-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Fabricating it myself. I've known about this technology since the 90's. Nothing new. Its the same technology used in portable cup heaters/coolers etc.

I would really like to know how to build one of these; materials etc. Is there anyway you could show me pictures or plans from the one you made?

Roland Jacques
09-06-2008, 09:55 AM
I like the idea

They seem a little delicate for an undercarriage environment. To bad they don’t post more info, like prices...

sumdude
09-06-2008, 03:10 PM
here you go try this out.

http://www.tegpower.com/

Roland Jacques
09-06-2008, 05:20 PM
The Tegpower site sounds like a SCAM!!!!

$125.00 just to be able to communicate with them. I'm Not saying it cant be done, but $125 even to get a price:confused:

chevytruckman1234
09-06-2008, 08:55 PM
I found this website that has one the produces 30 amps and 270
Watts was wondering if that might work?

http://customthermoelectric.com/tecs_imax.html?gclid=CJKArfi6yJUCFQKHxwodnT4lhw

BoyntonStu
09-06-2008, 09:30 PM
But seriously though. Sorry for jumping to another topic but its sad to say why the U.S. cannot resolve the issue of this energy crisis we are going though. A couple of years from now most car will NOT have an alternator. BMW already started using this technology in some concept cars ive seen.

With this thermal heat technology you can boil water in a matter of seconds-mins. and freeze water at the same rate.

Unfortunately, not quite correct.

I saw a Peltier cell demonstration in the 1960's.

That is almost 50 years ago! Wow!

Anyways, it boiled pretty fast, minutes, but the cooling took much longer.

As my son always said, "All you got to do...".

It ain't so easy.

BoyntonStu

Roland Jacques
09-07-2008, 09:59 PM
I found this website that has one the produces 30 amps and 270
Watts was wondering if that might work?

http://customthermoelectric.com/tecs_imax.html?gclid=CJKArfi6yJUCFQKHxwodnT4lhw

The price is right. Now is 160 C high enough temp?? do you no what that is in F.

I think we would really need a PWM. But the Idea is great.

Roland Jacques
09-13-2008, 05:23 PM
Why cant i just use this to generate extra amperage for my battery,...?

Has anyone tryed this

redneckgearhead34
09-13-2008, 10:22 PM
I have no idea how to build one of these and they sound very interseting. Could some one please post picture, parts need or how the thing works please

Stevo
09-13-2008, 11:48 PM
The price is right. Now is 160 C high enough temp?? do you no what that is in F.

I think we would really need a PWM. But the Idea is great.

160 C = 320 F. Since they mention that these units can handle up to 392 F, I wouldn't mind trying this and I can think of the perfect place to mount it. Right between the radiator, not too far from the exhaust manifold since the clearance is just right. Wow, I'm glad this thread came up and that link was posted! :)

Roland Jacques
09-14-2008, 08:56 AM
What are you going to mount it on so you dont exceed 200 C ? im thinking my muffler might be under that temp. What kind of heat sink will be needed to get the temp differential. some experamenting may be in order.

i guess you are looking at this one.
12711-9M31-24CW
200°C rated

The "N" is 127 what is the "N" mean?

Stevo
09-14-2008, 12:54 PM
Yeh, the general idea that I had was one of pure experimentation. Not sure if any of it will actually yield anything worth using, but it's fun anyway. :)

What I intended on doing was actually taking some copper or aluminum sheeting and creating sort of a sleeve that would fit around my exhaust pipe (not sure where at yet) and then be attached to a stand-off plate of copper or aluminum. I would , before attaching anything to it, do a couple of runs with just the sleeve and stand-off and a temperature monitor or some sort to see what the max temp would be during as many driving situations as possible. After that, I would know whether to reposition the sleeve or keep it where it is and then I would apply the hardware (FEC).

There are a few things I thought of in terms of cooling. First, I would just attach a copper heat sink to the side to cool. To do this, I would need some high temp thermal grease and phenolic bolts/material. My theory would be that the heat from the exhaust would keep the one side hot while the natural occurrence of moving air across the copper heat sink (e.g. like when you drive or take off) would work just like (or maybe better than) a cooling fan placed directly on the heat sink. Of course, you could also attempt to create a heat sink that would utilize air and water cooling, but then you require a water pump of some kind. Either way, it takes energy to drive the car and create heat in the exhaust so it's *by no way* "free energy". Just had to say that last part. Happy experimenting.

jjb2888
09-15-2008, 12:28 AM
http://www.thermo1.com/wasteheatH.htm

Roland Jacques
09-15-2008, 08:19 AM
This link is interesting.
http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesandfuels/pdfs/deer_2004/session4/2004_deer_kushch.pdf

redneckgearhead34
09-15-2008, 11:39 AM
how easy are these to build. Has anyone ever build one of these yourself? If so, what materials are required.

I am very interested in one of these.

Riddler250
09-15-2008, 12:30 PM
redneck, it looks just like some thermalcouples wired in a series, between two copper sheets. from what i can tell one side is against the hot side and one is on thhe cold side, creating a greater varience in temp, producing a greater amount of voltage, or current ( maybe someone can explain better?) isnt a thermal couple just a semiconductor? probably can be found at radio shack or from digikey.com (might not sell in small quanities) if I complete my efie this week i might start experimenting with this.

redneckgearhead34
09-15-2008, 04:24 PM
Isn't a thermalcouple a tempurature sensing device. I will look into though.

If you read my sig. you can tell I am having trouble with my EFIE. Where did you find your potentiometer?

thanks

Cadillac
09-16-2008, 03:36 AM
What I intended on doing was actually taking some copper or aluminum sheeting and creating sort of a sleeve that would fit around my exhaust pipe (not sure where at yet) and then be attached to a stand-off plate of copper or aluminum.

Go to a junkyard and buy a heat stove attachment off of an old car. They use to put these on all old cars. They project heated air off of the exhaust to help heat the car quicker. There was generally a damper door on the intake to stop it from running in all the time. You could get one of these and cut so that you could work with it easier on your car. It would be easier and way cheaper then fabricating a piece like that. You will be able to have your pick of the litter at a junkyard. If it is four cylinder get one of a four cylinder.....etc...

Cadillac
09-16-2008, 03:50 AM
The thing circled in red is the damper door. This called the Thermac system, at least on GM vehicles. If you look underneath one of these you will see a cheapo aluminum tube. This runs to the stove that surrounds the exhaust. Sorry I do not have a picture of the actual stove.

Riddler250
09-16-2008, 09:46 AM
well redneck, yes it pretty much is a temp sense. but think of a gas furnace. a thermalcouple is placed over the flame, when it gets hot a small voltage is delivered to an electronic valve and it opens, if the pilot light was to go out the temp on the thermalcouple would drop as would the voltage, closing the valve. a solar panel is based on the same technology. in a solar cell Semiconductors get hot and transfer heat into elctricity. maybe they will be at lowes. i just started research the last few days.
My efie is from the better-milliage.com plans (free) I bought the pots at radio shack. im not sure what plans you are using, and would like to see the schematics.