PDA

View Full Version : Good Housing?

scubasteve1043
09-05-2008, 11:35 AM
What will make a good housing for the generator that doesn't take up a lot of room? Right now I am using a mason jar but I need something with a bigger opening so that I can fit more plates in it but I just don't have a whole lot more room under my hood for the generator.

I would like something that you can see through if possible. I'm wondering if glass is the best or some type of plastic b/c I have already cracked one mason jar.

VanHalen
09-05-2008, 11:59 AM
Plummers PVC pipe seems to work pretty well, and has a heat index up to 180F. If you want to see through for water level, just run a vertical hose up the side from a couple 90 degree valves. The sizes vary too, so you can get what you need.

Stevo
09-05-2008, 03:19 PM
Plummers PVC pipe seems to work pretty well, and has a heat index up to 180F...

Beeee careful. PVC, when heated up to greater than it's limit will give off fumes that are bad for your O2 sensor and catalytic converter(s). You won't see the damage right away, but instead over the course of time. You might try polycarbonate or another heat resistant, chemical resistant polymer.

Smith03Jetta
09-05-2008, 03:56 PM
Read my posts.

scubasteve1043
09-05-2008, 06:17 PM
I saw your pelican case smith03jetta, but I just don't have the room for one of those, I saw the black pvc at lowes when I was looking around today and wondered if it would have the same problems that the white pvc would have. I don't have a cat on my car but I have 2 O2 sensors. I thought about using a water filter housing but I wanna make sure its wide enough for the plates and strong enough for a generator.

FuzzyTomCat
09-05-2008, 06:50 PM
I saw your pelican case smith03jetta, but I just don't have the room for one of those, I saw the black pvc at lowes when I was looking around today and wondered if it would have the same problems that the white pvc would have. I don't have a cat on my car but I have 2 O2 sensors. I thought about using a water filter housing but I wanna make sure its wide enough for the plates and strong enough for a generator.

Hi scubasteve1043,

I'm pretty sure a clear water filter housing will fit some plates if your using the Lowes or Home Depot type "blank" 304 SS kind. Try your PM (private messages) for some information.

Regards,
Fuzzy

scubasteve1043
09-05-2008, 07:51 PM
Thanks FuzzyTomCat, I just ordered a water filter canister on ebay so we will see how it works out, thanks for the replys.

justaguy
09-05-2008, 09:04 PM
I built one using a clear water filter. It is very strong, about 3/8 thick. Thick enough so you can drill and tap your fittings. The filter tapers down just a little . the very bottom will square about 2 3/4" on the inside. Depending on how wide your plates are to how many you can have.

You can put all the plates in that the volume of electrolyte will handle anyway. They make a very nice looking generator too. I have two 4 plate cells with about 3/4" space in between them using 2x6 plates.

daveinsingapore
09-06-2008, 02:52 AM
I built one using a clear water filter. It is very strong, about 3/8 thick. Thick enough so you can drill and tap your fittings. The filter tapers down just a little . the very bottom will square about 2 3/4" on the inside. Depending on how wide your plates are to how many you can have.

You can put all the plates in that the volume of electrolyte will handle anyway. They make a very nice looking generator too. I have two 4 plate cells with about 3/4" space in between them using 2x6 plates.

I have used a clear water filter body too, 10 " tall, and 2 3/4 " across the bottom of the inside..great look and I managed to fit 13 plates in a -NNNNN+NNNNN- configuration into it, the stack of plates is 6 " deep and 2 3/8 " wide....about to build my PWM and am right now building my bubbler and drilling and tapping the generator and bubbler for 1/8" BSP fittings..

yeah I recommend the clear filter body, you can see your plates in action and replace the body easily if you do crack it or cook it....

will post pics later on....ciao for now...

scubasteve1043
09-06-2008, 07:25 AM
Daveinsingapore, have you tested that design yet or are you still puttin it all together. I would like to know the results you get out of that.

loumiii
09-06-2008, 11:00 AM
You can't use KOH with polycarbonate, NaOH is ok up to about a 20% solution. But I've broken two of these in the last three days. Any stress at over 100 f or so and they crack.

I'll be trying one of Smith03Jetta's Pelican cases next.

Cheers
Lou

FuzzyTomCat
09-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Most all clear filter canisters are made from "styrene - acrylonitrile" or (SAN)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Styrene-acrylonitrile

It has a good resistance to acid's and alkali's rated at 125 degrees F @ 150 PSI , melting point 220-270 degrees C

Fuzzy