PDA

View Full Version : efficiency vs output

Uwee
09-03-2008, 09:43 PM
I have been pondering a few topics while at work trying to figure out the main cause for output differences between cells. Namely mine and lets say the VSPB that ZeroFossilFuel uses. The question I am going on this time is efficiency vs output. People say it is inversely related but I don't see why.

My assumptions on this leave me with a few possible outcomes. Either it is inversely related and I just done see it. Efficiency could fall off towards higher current flow like a diminishing returns effect. Lastly there is no efficiency loss as output goes up.

I think it has a diminishing returns effect and hope to find out whats really going on with tests soon. What confuses me is this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3cOPDTl3ek . Zero states around 3:03 that no matter how much current he puts into the cell or how hot it is the cell always puts out 5.4MMW. What does someone else think of these statements?

Roland Jacques
09-03-2008, 10:24 PM
I agree with you, they are not inverse. They do have a point of diminishing returns. So sometimes it may be better to have 2 units than to put more amps into one.

Roland Jacques
09-03-2008, 10:37 PM
"Lastly there is no efficiency loss as output goes up."

I have not found this to be ture. I think within the ranges Zero was Testing that cell it may have been the case. BUT If he tried 100 amps At 12 volts he would not has said that.

IMO

Uwee
09-04-2008, 12:20 AM
good point Roland. I wonder if he wrote it down and we could ask :P

Have a new rig in the works that I might be able to get accurate numbers from this weekend. I wish I had no day job and some $$$ to blow. I bet at the end of the day I would still have questiosns

Jaxom
09-04-2008, 01:55 PM
I wish I had no day job and some $$$ to blow.

Don't we all. I have what seems like a thousand ideas about HHO systems and not enough time and money to try more than one or two, and of course the results of those one or two lead me to a thousand more.

donsimpson12
09-04-2008, 02:26 PM
I agree with you, they are not inverse. They do have a point of diminishing returns. So sometimes it may be better to have 2 units than to put more amps into one.

I've been kicking around this same theory...

for the long run, it might be better to have three units that consitantly draw 5 amps each and have zero heating issues, than one hot-rod unit that is inconsistant and troublesome.

I have also been kicking around the idea with multiple PWM's per cell.
Each PWM would be tuned for best optimization and engine tuning at a certain RPM. For Instance..
500 to 1200 RPM uses PWM #1
Over 1200 PRM uses PWM #2
or maybe have Seperate PWM's controlling different cells, triggered by RPM.. ??

Just a few ideas..