PDA

View Full Version : HHO Unit in Trunk

joshs360
09-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Just wondering if anyone has tried to store their units in their trunks or inside their car at all. I currently am having a hard time mounting a unit that I put together under my hood and just does not look all that pleasing. And in the long run I am worried about the safety of the device due to no safe way to mount the device. So my question is has anyone tried to put the device in their car? Will the distance from your trunk to you motor be to far?

gizzy
09-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Hi how are you doing? What kind of truck are you trying to mount your HHO unit in? I have a 2003 blazer and it drove me nuts:mad: Heat on the unit and figuring out were? I ended up mounying it unnder the bumper makind fram rails to mount your unit on. That was the first start. Works great.. Now mounting a bubbler....I bought a K&N air intake...This gave me alot more room to find a place to moun on the inside fender well.. Try some thing like that as a thought..Hope an idea like this helps you'' Let me have an idea what your working with. Also I tryed and did all this work from my rear hatch drilling and all that and mine didn't work. Too far away I found out.

timetowinarace
09-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Just wondering if anyone has tried to store their units in their trunks or inside their car at all. I currently am having a hard time mounting a unit that I put together under my hood and just does not look all that pleasing. And in the long run I am worried about the safety of the device due to no safe way to mount the device. So my question is has anyone tried to put the device in their car? Will the distance from your trunk to you motor be to far?

Consider moving the battery to the trunk and mounting the booster where the battery goes under the hood.

1. This is common in the racing community, longer battery cables are available for this. It's easy.

2. this keeps the booster under the hood for shorter electrical and hose connection reducing hho loss that could happen over the longer distance, not to mention a kink in the hose somewhere.

3. Safety. The battery is safe in the trunk. The booster will have to have a larger amount of hho in the longer hose runnin under your car, more to explode if there is a problem.

All of that said, I would mount one in the trunk if I needed to. I'd probably add additional bubblers though.

dlynds
09-03-2008, 12:25 PM
Have mine mounted in the trunk of a 2007 Malibu. No problems.

donsimpson12
09-03-2008, 01:22 PM
I would not mount the HHO unit in the trunk.. If you have any leaks at all, the fumes from your electrolite will be inside with you... If needed, move the battery to the trunk as suggested.. Or... mount it behind your grill somewhere. You may have to remove your grill to do this, but it would be safer, maybe run cooler, and also be more concealing..

Just adding 2 cents..

FuzzyTomCat
09-03-2008, 02:23 PM

From Thread - Explosion Problems
Member - Walt
I blew my air intake box apart and misaligned my hood with an explosion. It was totaly MY FAULT. I had the cell hooked up to a manual swich and forgot to turn it off, when I attempted to start it POW!!! I would advise against that...LOL My bro in law thought it was funny, he saw it happen.

This appears to be just filling the air intake with HHO gas under the hood of a car. Just think of what would happen with a sealed trunk load of HHO gas.

This is a not a good idea to use a trunk for a HHO generator !!

Fuzzy

redneckgearhead34
09-03-2008, 03:17 PM
I was wondering the same thing. There is not much room under the hood of my Nissan and there is absolutely no room between the grill and radiator. I was considering mounting it in the front of my grill not to mention how weird that would look. I was also thinking about mounting in the bed of the truck. Would this be plausable? and what safety risks would I be taking?

timetowinarace
09-03-2008, 05:38 PM
I was wondering the same thing. There is not much room under the hood of my Nissan and there is absolutely no room between the grill and radiator. I was considering mounting it in the front of my grill not to mention how weird that would look. I was also thinking about mounting in the bed of the truck. Would this be plausable? and what safety risks would I be taking?

In time I will be mounting several units in the back of my '91 nissan 2.4, I don't see a problem putting them in a truck bed.

redneckgearhead34
09-03-2008, 06:31 PM
In time I will be mounting several units in the back of my '91 nissan 2.4, I don't see a problem putting them in a truck bed.

Thats cool as you may know there is hardly under room under the hood. Is your truck fuel injected?

HomeGrown
09-03-2008, 09:46 PM
Member - Walt
I blew my air intake box apart and misaligned my hood with an explosion. It was totaly MY FAULT. I had the cell hooked up to a manual swich and forgot to turn it off,......

I would NEVER hook up an HHO cell to an unswitched (always hot) power source with a manual switch! BAD idea for the reason stated above. It scares the hell out of me that people are this careless with explosive gas generators. :eek:

hydrotinkerer
09-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Moving the battery to the trunk without special vented battery or box? Mount hho gen in trunk. Both actions create problems? Which one worse? I mounted my gen in trunk(added bubblers).

FuzzyTomCat
09-04-2008, 01:22 AM
Here are a few videos of explosions with "small" amounts of HHO gas,
turn the volume up .............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8UovQFDRco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_cLi1pDDmg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfk8jXVUF34

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uyyfm8Slzes

PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS, IT IS VERY DANGEROUS !!!

Many cars today have sealed batteries in the trunk and even under the back seat.

A explosion with a trunk full of HHO gas will leave you and anyone else close deaf possibly for life and ??????

Be Careful,
Fuzzy

redneckgearhead34
09-04-2008, 10:50 AM
any onw have any objections with putting the generator in the bed of the truck.

I would put a bubbler under the hood.

And the only problem I can think of is decrease using the utility of the truck because I haul alot of stuff in the bed. I am sure bricks would knock a hole in the box with no problem.

HomeGrown
09-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Seems to me that an open truck bed would be a pretty good location for one. Any escaped gas would simply dissipate into the air.

frosty121
09-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Just my two cents worth on an older thread. I am bulding mine on my 89 Chevrolet Silverado and I am going to use the bed mounted tool box. I am going to cut two holes and mount explosion rated fans to vent. They do not pull very much current. I am also mounting anouther battery in the tool box that is sealed from the HHO system with a separate fan to avoid the posibility of sparks. This is a regualar cab truck so I am only looking at 12 feet of hose for the HHO gas to the carb and makes mounting switches convenient for the inside of the cab.

DaneDHorstead
09-20-2008, 06:18 PM
I have mounted three generators (ea) in the cargo area, of my jeeps.

They stand upright, inside a wooden wine box (to ship wine to the liquor store), and I use two bubblers, as about 16 ft of hose is involved, to get HHO, to the engine compartment.

I have one bubbler at the generators, and another at the firewall. That creates a vapor lock, so I dont loose too much HHO on shut down.

I ran a #2 copper wire (through a switched, constant rated solenoid), that is can handle up to 100 amps, without problems. At the generators, I split the curent through a bus bar, into three separate 30 amp circuit breakers, and on into each generator, exiting the gens with a #12 copper wire, going through the passenger wheel well, where it grounds.

The #2 wire, and the vinyl HHO tube both go under, and in some locations inside the hollow car frame, and come up at the firewall, in front of the passengers seat.

I have two jeeps, and an 02 cougar, and have done them all, basicly the same.

If you do this, be certain your power cable, is an ample size to handle the load.

Also note that I use a marine type battery, because it has both top, and side post.

Top post, supply al the normal car functions. I only use the positive side post, to supply power to the generators, and because I ground to the frame, at the wheel well, a connection to the negative side post is not needed, as it gets ground through the top post, which also grounds to the frame.

I find this a far better way to set the devices up, but it does take longer, and use more materials.

If I had it to do again, however, I would also run conductors to put amp/temp gages on it.

I do have amp gages, but they are in the back, at the gens.

resago
09-21-2008, 02:39 PM
in trunk, mount in the jack area against wheel well, drill out larger air holes to the outside and seal your gen from the rest of the trunk.
maybe even run a fan drawing from trunk air to the gen compartment, that way if there is a leak, it will be pushed outside.

geezer
09-21-2008, 11:25 PM
I see a lot or advice on drilling holes to vent gas. Just remember HHO is lighter than air it goes up. If in the trunk it will raise and just hang around.

hygear
09-21-2008, 11:45 PM
I've mounted my generator,1gallon electrolyte resivoir and steam trap/bubbler(I have a second bubbler before the intake)all behind the front bumper on my Dodge ram.This keeps the generator from any heat and always has a steady flow of air to keep it cool.
I doubt I'd be comfortable with the generator confined in the trunk of a vehicle,I don't think you'd get a second chance if for some reason hho leaked out and was ignited.

H2OPWR
09-21-2008, 11:46 PM
I mounted an HHO cell behind the back seat of my 98 Jeep Wrangler. I hooked it up to vacuum and let a little air into the cell via a pipe that went to the bottom of the cell. The idea was to keep all the HHO out of the cell with constant vacuum and a steady stream of air to keep it flowing. No problems. Increased the gas mileage 50% in town and 100% on the highway.