PDA

View Full Version : Does the hydroxy delivery hose size matter?

BoyntonStu
08-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Does the hydroxy delivery hose size matter?

A fellow experimenter used a long 1/4" hose on his 6 LPM booster with
apparently no delivery difficulty.

Has anyone tested 1/8, 1/4, etc. in order to determine the minimum
effective tube diameter for 2 LPM?

BoyntonStu

Q-Hack!
08-29-2008, 07:14 PM
I am still trying to get up to 2LPM... Here is my current design based on ZeroFossilFuel's VSPB design... I would just love to see the 2LPM mark.

I am going to use my 1/4" inside diameter hose with it. It is what I am currently using on my Smack design with .750LPM. Even the port on the Cold Air Intake is set up for 1/4" fitting, so that is what I am going to stick with. If it turns out to not be enough... well then back to the drawing board...

Painless
08-29-2008, 07:24 PM
What we need here is some math formula's to convert LPM to a PSI pressure. We could then determine max PSI for each hose width?

Hmm, but thinking about it, the PSI would vary and be a factor of LPM vs hose diameter.

Q-Hack!
08-29-2008, 07:32 PM
Of course if you increase PSI you also increase the danger of explosion. Not that we are anywhere near that point, but food for thought.

BoyntonStu
08-29-2008, 07:38 PM
I can concurr with that observation. I was told a 1/8" hose can
deliver 10LPM of most any gas without difficulty. So I'm fine with my
1/4" hose.

E

BoyntonStu

Roland Jacques
08-29-2008, 08:43 PM
Dia & length cause back pressure 10 LPM through a 20' long 1/8" ID hose would cause a lot of pressure. That pressure would lower your boiling point, and you may just be getting steam and no HHO. your water would be gone very fast.

1/4" tubing is a good for just about all HHO uses.

BoyntonStu
08-29-2008, 09:38 PM
Dia & length cause back pressure 10 LPM through a 20' long 1/8" ID hose would cause a lot of pressure. That pressure would lower your boiling point, and you may just be getting steam and no HHO. your water would be gone very fast.

I disagree.

More pressure INCREASES the boiling point, it does not lower it.

Think "Pressure Cooker".

BoyntonStu

Johnh
08-29-2008, 09:42 PM

Sorry - you got that one wrong
Increasing pressure will raise the boiling point in the generator (the same as putting a pressure cap on the radiator).

I think that this is a good thing - hooking up to a vacuum line and lowering the pressure in the gen. at idle seems to cause more empting problems in bubblers and gens. I think this is because the generator flash boils when it has been running at some pressure for a while and then it gets a sudden low pressure when you take your foot off the gas.
John

Roland Jacques
08-29-2008, 09:46 PM
Your right my Bad. higher pressure = higher boiling point thank you.