PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Water & EFIE Questions

Tensen
08-29-2008, 06:04 PM
Hello what a great site.

I had so many questions about HHO but they have been mostly answered by the members in other threads (cold weather, how much water, bubbler, Baking soda or KOH/NaOH). I still haven't build an HHO Generator yet, but I am getting the parts.

There are answers I have not found though.
1) Specifically in combination with the EFIE and running out of KOH/NaOH solution: Will the car stall, just use gas like normal or maybe run too lean and cause high temperatures in my engine?

2) What happens if the solution accidentally runs out in my HHO generator, will the plates go super nova hot? I'm guessing no conductor so no electricity, but want confirmation.

Thanks in advance,
Tensen

Painless
08-29-2008, 06:06 PM
1) Specifically in combination with the EFIE and running out of KOH/NaOH solution: Will the car stall, just use gas like normal or maybe run too lean and cause high temperatures in my engine?

If you've leaned your fuel mixture in any way and remove the HHO, yes, the combustion chamber temperature will rise. As to whether it will cause engine damage or not depends on how high it rises.

2) What happens if the solution accidentally runs out in my HHO generator, will the plates go super nova hot? I'm guessing no conductor so no electricity, but want confirmation.

You are correct, if there is no electrolyte then current will not flow. You can always play safe by including a fuse or breaker in your circuit.

redneckgearhead34
08-29-2008, 06:23 PM
I a not sure but I think you should be able to tell when your combustion chamber gets too hot because the engine temp gause on your gauge cluster in the car should rise to a relatively high temp.

or am I wrong and at that point it would be too late?

Painless
08-29-2008, 06:32 PM
I had that same thought, but I think the safest approach is to install an exhaust gas temp monitor. It would also be prudent to remove and inspect the spark plugs on a regular basis.

Tensen
09-03-2008, 07:37 PM
If you've leaned your fuel mixture in any way and remove the HHO, yes, the combustion chamber temperature will rise. As to whether it will cause engine damage or not depends on how high it rises ... You can always play safe by including a fuse or breaker in your circuit.

Thanks for the responses Painless & redneckgearhead34. In addition to a fuse, I will install a dash type light hooked up to my HHO + & -. If the car is running and the light is on the HHO Generator has a current (also allows me to make sure it is off when the ignition is turned off). If the light goes out when the car is running I know there is no current and possibly out of solution.

Haywire Haywood
09-03-2008, 07:41 PM
IMO, when you commit to installing something like this on your vehicle, you also commit to regular maintenance and keeping check on things like electrolyte level and amp draw. This isn't a car stereo you're installing where you can hook it up, turn it on and forget it's there.

Ian

Tensen
09-03-2008, 08:05 PM
IMO, when you commit to installing something like this on your vehicle, you also commit to regular maintenance and keeping check on things like electrolyte level and amp draw. This isn't a car stereo you're installing where you can hook it up, turn it on and forget it's there.

Were only human and to make mistakes is a given. My initial questions were for accidentally letting the solution run out and was not about being lazy. As well as, what happens to things like the HHO unit and the engine if one accidentally does allow the solution to run out.

One part of committing to installing something like this in a vehicle is finding out potential dangers of something that occurs from human error. Just by the very nature of humans I can suggest with confidence some in this forum, those who commit to regular maintenance have accidentally run out of solution.

Haywire Haywood
09-03-2008, 08:13 PM
Oh yea... I forgot humans post here too. I'm a Venusian and as such, am not suseptable to human mistakes... ;)

Ian

Painless
09-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Here's an idea that just popped into my head for a safety system for those using MAP/MAF/EFIE's or other electronic ECU foolers:

1) Place a stainless steel bolt into your electrolyzer so that it is in contact with the water at the minimum safest electrolyte level, i.e. when the electrolyte drops below the safe level it is out of contact.

2) Run a wire from the bolt to the switch input of a relay.

3) Wire your MAP/MAF/EFIE electric doohicky's power to the feed from the relay.

This way, if your generator loses power or runs low on electrolyte, your air/fuel settings will go back to stock.

Haywire Haywood
09-03-2008, 09:22 PM
Here's an idea that just popped into my head for a safety system for those using MAP/MAF/EFIE's or other electronic ECU foolers:

1) Place a stainless steel bolt into your electrolyzer so that it is in contact with the water at the minimum safest electrolyte level, i.e. when the electrolyte drops below the safe level it is out of contact.

2) Run a wire from the bolt to the switch input of a relay.

3) Wire your MAP/MAF/EFIE electric doohicky's power to the feed from the relay.

This way, if your generator loses power or runs low on electrolyte, your air/fuel settings will go back to stock.

That runyourcaronwater plan called out a float hooked to a pump in a reserve reservoir. When it got low, instead of turning off the EFIE, it turned on a low volume pump to refill the generator. When the float got high enough, it would turn the pump off.

Ian