PDA

View Full Version : A question about "wrapping" the cell(s)

EdCaffreyMS
08-28-2008, 02:58 PM
I recently built a Smack's booster, and as shown in the files, I wrapped the cell, leaving the ends exposed. I couldn't find heat shrink of the size I needed, so I wrapped the cell in 4" electrical tape. When I tested the unit, it produced almost no gas....about 1-2 bubbles every 15-20 seconds.

I took the wrap off, and re-tested. With the crude measuring device I devised, the output was close to 1 LPM without the wrap.

My electrolyte solution was one teaspoon of potassium hydroxide to 1 gal. distilled water. In both instances the cell was pulling 17 amps cold. (wrapped and not wrapped)

Could someone possibly explain the purpose of wrapping the cell if it brings the gas production down to almost nothing, and the cell is pulling the same amps with and without the wrap?

BoyntonStu
08-28-2008, 04:48 PM
I recently built a Smack's booster, and as shown in the files, I wrapped the cell, leaving the ends exposed. I couldn't find heat shrink of the size I needed, so I wrapped the cell in 4" electrical tape. When I tested the unit, it produced almost no gas....about 1-2 bubbles every 15-20 seconds.

I took the wrap off, and re-tested. With the crude measuring device I devised, the output was close to 1 LPM without the wrap.

My electrolyte solution was one teaspoon of potassium hydroxide to 1 gal. distilled water. In both instances the cell was pulling 17 amps cold. (wrapped and not wrapped)

Could someone possibly explain the purpose of wrapping the cell if it brings the gas production down to almost nothing, and the cell is pulling the same amps with and without the wrap?

Most probably, when you wrapped the cell you pulled some of the plates together and they became shorted.

I hope that this helps.

BoyntonStu

wljohns
08-28-2008, 10:33 PM
I took a MtDew 2 liter bottle and cut to fit over my smack cell. Hit her with the old heat gun and viola it shrank right up. It really stabilized my unit tremendously.

Painless
08-28-2008, 10:39 PM
I took a MtDew 2 liter bottle and cut to fit over my smack cell. Hit her with the old heat gun and viola it shrank right up. It really stabilized my unit tremendously.

Now THAT is resourceful! Excellent idea!

Now we can also tell people that HHO helps the environment by removing plastic bottle waste from the landfills!! :D

Mindcrime13
08-29-2008, 01:14 AM
ok , so the important is to leave the top and bottom uncover right?

smartHHO
08-29-2008, 08:05 AM

WOW, that is quite interesting and cool that you tried that. Especially since every drinks soda of some sort. Thanks for the info.

ok , so the important is to leave the top and bottom uncover right?

Yep. The top and bottom is where the actual bubbles are coming out and fresh liquid is going in. I have yet to get mine wrapped due to I just got paid today so I can go hit HomeDepot and get some wrap. Don't drink much soda here. More beer then soda and they don't have 2 liter beer bottles in plastic. LOL.

smartHHO
08-29-2008, 08:11 AM

Not too sure Electrical is a good idea. From what "EVERYONE" has said, and I agree. You get contamination from the sticky glue that is on the tape. And, electrical tape does start to come loose when wet and heated. Might be one reason you had less is the shorting, and some of the glue in the water. Not !00% sure. I would definitely take off the tape, clean up the cell and try some other wrap. Some one had mentioned in the forums that they bought some wrap from HomeDepot that sticks to itself like surran wrap. Which SW was metioned at a item one could use to wrap their cell. Good luck.

wljohns
08-29-2008, 08:12 AM
Before I wrapped my cell. If I put over 1/2 teaspoon Naoh to 1 gal distilled water my amps went crazy. But after wrapping and leaving only the top and bottom open. I went as high as 1.5 tablespoon with NO jump in cold to moderately warm amperage.
I am however getting 3 volts per cell instead of 1.5 like anticipated with an array of +nnnnnn--nnnnnn+. Only difference in mine and a smack is i used 1/4" nylon rod instead of 3/8.

Haywire Haywood
08-29-2008, 08:22 PM
Could someone possibly explain the purpose of wrapping the cell?

HI. New here and just beginning to fiddle with HHO. What is the reason for wrapping the cell?

Ian

Painless
08-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Wrapping the cell in a non-conductive material reduces the ability for the current to skip through the electrolyte and bypass the plates.

Haywire Haywood
08-29-2008, 11:34 PM
Does this only apply to neutral plate configurations or will it apply to -+-+-+- configs also?

thanks,
Ian

Q-Hack!
08-30-2008, 01:42 AM
If you read pages 14-16 of the smack.pdf it explains why you should wrap your cell. Also page 17 describes the breakdown of voltages in a cell real well, and why you should be using neutral plates.

http://smacksboosters.110mb.com/Smack.pdf

bigapple
08-30-2008, 01:57 AM
Does this only apply to neutral plate configurations or will it apply to -+-+-+- configs also?

thanks,
Ian

it applies more to neutrals but it would still be applicable with that setup... although in brute force electrolysis (no neutrals) heat will always be a major factor so wrapping it mite not affect it very much

Haywire Haywood
08-30-2008, 02:01 AM
thanks. I've got that pdf downloaded. I'll read through it tomorrow.

Ian

foshman
08-30-2008, 10:44 AM

Hi Ed,
I'm a newbie also but found wrapping my Smack cell "ll" served to keep the electrolyte temp down. IE. 1.25L/min at 125degrees f after more than an hour of running.I wrap the cell with cheap shrink wrap tape from Harbor freight and so far it works well.
Good luck,
Foshman

pistolpete
08-31-2008, 07:48 AM
guys,

could you show pics of cells that are wrap with the shrink tube material?

thanks