PDA

View Full Version : Would you rather have a 3 plate cell or a 7 plate cell‏?

BoyntonStu
08-27-2008, 11:26 AM
Would you rather have a 3 plate cell or a 7 plate cell‏?

Assume that you have a choice of a low voltage high current PWM supply
feeding a 3 plate generator with the same area as a 7 plate cell
running off 13.8 V with PWM control.

IOW Same Wattage available/

Which would you choose and for what reasons?

I am thinking of using three 2" x 24" strips horizontal at ~4 VDC

Would you go -+- or +-+ ??

How much current would that area be able to take assuming I could cool
it if necessary?

BoyntonStu

FuzzyTomCat
08-27-2008, 01:41 PM
Would you go -+- or +-+ ??

BoyntonStu

If the anode (+) electrode makes O2, and the cathode (-) electrode makes H2 why have more (+) anode electrode surface area ? Do you want to make more O2 than H2 ?

I always made the same amount of surface area for the anode and cathode it seems to make a temperature difference being "equal" across the plates.

Fuzzy

smartHHO
08-27-2008, 02:35 PM
If the anode (+) electrode makes O2, and the cathode (-) electrode makes H2 why have more (+) anode electrode surface area ? Do you want to make more O2 than H2 ?

I always made the same amount of surface area for the anode and cathode it seems to make a temperature difference being "equal" across the plates.

Fuzzy

That is a good question!

But back to your question on number of plates and configuration. Hmm, due to heat issues and the way current flows, I might pick the 7 plates over the 3, and use the +NN-NN+ configuration myself. If you were going to use only 3 plates, then definitely you would want the most H Plate spacing available. But would it really produce as much as the 7 with the N keeping it cooler? Most likely not.

BoyntonStu
08-27-2008, 10:28 PM
There are 2 sides to this question.

+-+ the center electrode produces H2 on both sides.

-+- the center electrode produces O2 on both sides leaving the 2 outer - plates to produce H2 on one side each.

I can't see any difference between the two.

Remember, I can supply this 3 plate, 2 cell arrangement with the minimum V to electrolyze and not any extra to heat.

I believe that I can manage to fit 96 sq in into a 1" ID pipe.

Thus 4 V at 75 A is 300 Watts.

I can supply and control this electrical power with common cheap components.

14 V at 21 A is also 300 Watts.

I hope that this helps.

BoyntonStu