PDA

View Full Version : How do you control amperage

redneckgearhead34
08-26-2008, 11:57 AM
I see you guys talking about it but I dont know how.

Farmercal
08-26-2008, 12:03 PM
You control the amperage by diluting the eletrolyte solution. For instance (and this is only an example), instead of using 1 tsp of KOH per gallon of distilled water only use 1/4 tsp per gallon. Distilled water alone provides almost no current flow. The eletrolyte is what allows the current to flow from conductor to conductor (plate to plate). I hope this explanation helps.

Johnh
08-26-2008, 12:12 PM
Only two ways to control amperage that I know of, either lower the conductivity of your electrolyte or widen the gap between your plates.

Lots of different ways to control current draw:
Put more cells in series or a lower voltage across each cell (really the same thing).

PWM (decreases the time the current travels through the circuit with the same voltage and amperage)

Lower the Amperage by either of the methods listed

Lower the voltage by other means (voltage converters etc)

Probably others but these are what is being used by most folks.

John

F150
08-26-2008, 12:23 PM
Will a PWM derease amps with out effecting HHO production?

Would you say amps and HHO are proportional to each other?

I had to decrease amps because of heat issues and as a result have less HHO

redneckgearhead34
08-26-2008, 12:39 PM
find potassium hydroxide. I heard you can find it lye but I want it in pure form.

tbhavsar
08-26-2008, 01:33 PM
Will a PWM derease amps with out effecting HHO production?

Would you say amps and HHO are proportional to each other?

I had to decrease amps because of heat issues and as a result have less HHO

I am planning to buy this PWM and Install; check this out:

http://www.bakatronics.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=581

http://www.bobhobby.com/store/dcmotorcontrol-none-B000WYAN92-Electronic_DC_Motor_Speed_Controller_Device_Modula tor_30_Ampere_LX066.html

F150
08-26-2008, 02:08 PM
I bought a bottle of potassium and sodium hydroxide mix at home depot its liquid form drain opener. Black bottle called liquid power. Comes in a ziplock bag for protection. $5

godoveryou
08-26-2008, 02:08 PM
If you seperate each cell completely so the dielectric isn't shared, you will reduce the current draw. You really wanted 7-8 seperate chambers of electrolyte unless you jump voltage from 12 to 24 or 36 or whatever your heart desires. The general rule of thumb is to run 1.4 - 1.6v per cell on average.

I also build heatseaks onto the outside of generators to keep them cool. Heat creates resistance which will create the demand for more current.

F150
08-26-2008, 02:13 PM
So neutrals are bogus? what do you use to drop voltage?
I gota go, hope to talk to you more later. Thanks for your insight

godoveryou
08-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Not bogus, just a step in the wrong direction. First a foremost you need to seperate your dielectric. Otherwise you have runaway current and voltage.

Think about this. If you have current shoot across your dielectric from electrode 1 all the way over to electrode 12, what about all the "Cells in between?" There isn't true voltage drop as smack illustrates. They also aren't true cells. They are just conductors that sometimes make gases via electrolysis, but they aren't efficient and are a step in the wrong direction. I like true, seperate cells, that each have three electrodes, all powered. Then calculate your cell number based on your voltage level. 12V, 24V, 36V, 1.2kV? Aim for 1.4-1.6V per cell.

That's a much better approach than shoving a bunch of metal plates in one dielectric solution throwing current everywhere.

F150
08-26-2008, 07:30 PM
so how do I lower my voltage to achieve 2 volts per cell? series?

fuelcommander
08-26-2008, 10:03 PM
thats how i run mine. in series.

dennis13030
08-26-2008, 10:45 PM
I see you guys talking about it but I dont know how.

There are about 4 ways to do this. Also controlling the Amps is the same as controlling the heat.

1. Add neutral plates.
2. Use less chemical in the electrolyte mix.
3. Use a PWM.
4. Use a dimmer control.

I do NOT recommend items 3 and 4.

F150
08-27-2008, 11:17 AM
There are about 4 ways to do this. Also controlling the Amps is the same as controlling the heat.

1. Add neutral plates.
3. Use a PWM.
4. Use a dimmer control.

1) In pic I drew lines connecting some nuetrals. Is this a good idea? I guess Im not sure if all nuetrals are isolated from each other or just isolated from the pos. and neg.

2) And do you suggest wrapping the edges?

3) Do you recommend isolating each bay in its own bath? What if I just put a divider thats like another plate made of a non-conductive material in series between each bay?

Thanks again!

volomike
08-27-2008, 01:02 PM

1. Add neutral plates.
3. Use a PWM.
4. Use a dimmer control.

So I'm curious -- why not 3 or 4? And why so adamantly with all caps? I'm 100% convinced now that I need to hook up a PWM from all my research I've done, and I was just about to get one before I saw your post here. So you have my curiosity peaked here.

(Hey, Dennis. Haven't spoken to you in awhile. Have been busy working PHP website gigs, trying to get money in here. Hope to return to my HHO projects in September.)