PDA

View Full Version : Air/Fuel ratio adjustments on a on carburated engine with HHO

ElectricSquid
08-26-2008, 06:40 AM
I've read all over this forum how your computer will adjust your air/fuel ratio after installing an HHO unit. But that's of no help to me since my truck is a 85 Dodge Ramcharger, and has no onboard computer. So I need information on doing the A/F ajustment manually.

My engine has been modified since I bought this truck a few years ago. I now have an Edelbrock 1404 carberator installed, so messing with the air/fuel ratio is as easy as changing out a couple metering rods.

My big question is, on average, how far will I need to adjust the A/F ratio from where it is right now?

Also, what about adjustments on the timing? Am I going to have to adjust the timing too, to get maximum benifit from HHO gas?

Um, and I guess I need to ask, if I don't adjust these two things, will it damage the engine? (figure I'd throw that one out there for those who think they don't have to pull out the wrench set :P)

justaguy
08-26-2008, 08:28 PM
If you don,t do the adjusting it won't hurt anything but the results will be small. The hho will clean the carbon from your engine making it run better which is a plus. You will need to adjust the timing and the carb to get the best results.

otrcomm
08-26-2008, 10:48 PM
I have an 88 Samurai with a Weber carburetor. I run the fuel/air mixture screw completely bottomed out, and I have the timing advanced 8 degrees from factory specs. My spark plugs are brownish-white. The engine does not heat up more than usual.

I advanced the timing on the theory that the hydrogen/oxygen mixture going into my carburetor throat is less dense than air, so it is like driving at a higher altitude where the air is thinner. Before, when I was running straight gasoline and had to spend time in the mountains, I always advanced the timing. I was told that you can advance the timing until you get "knocking/pinging" on acceleration, and I have not had any knocking/pinging at 8 degree advance, so I will probably advance more until I do get pinging and then back off a few degrees. Understand, this is all "shade tree mechanic" and "seat of the pants" talking, since I am not a mechanic.

But, with this setup, I have realized a 53.3% increase in mpg. From 18 when I started a few months ago to 27.6 this past weekend.

ElectricSquid
08-27-2008, 06:28 AM
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for :D