PDA

View Full Version : EMF=EMField or EMForce?

sp1r0
08-25-2008, 05:58 PM
Just thought I'd throw this out there. I was thinking today, EMF as I knew it was an ElectroMagneticField, but I remembered way back in high school physics there was something called ElectroMotiveForce. So I looked it up on wikipedia, and it had the anagram EMF just like ElectroMagneticField. So my question is among engineers, what is generally accepted when you say "EMF"?

FuzzyTomCat
08-25-2008, 06:21 PM
Just thought I'd throw this out there. I was thinking today, EMF as I knew it was an ElectroMagneticField, but I remembered way back in high school physics there was something called ElectroMotiveForce. So I looked it up on wikipedia, and it had the anagram EMF just like ElectroMagneticField. So my question is among engineers, what is generally accepted when you say "EMF"?

It's most commonly called "Electro Magnetic Field" all test equipment that indicate "EMF" is used for this, such as measuring overhead high voltage power lines, electric bed blankets, old tube type televisions, computer monitors and other type of related items.

Fuzzy