PDA

View Full Version : New guy with some questions.

kg4lhowj
08-25-2008, 01:22 PM
First post here and fairly new to HHO. I have built my unit using a Walmart 50oz+/- clear plastic kitchen container with flip down lid and gasket. I built my plate setup with 304ss 1.5" X 5.5" plates arranged with 5 negative plates and 4 positive plates. I have the pos plates connected with an ss bolt and ss washers spaced about 1/4" apart. The negative plates are set up the same way. I sandwiched the plates together with about 2mm gap between the pos & Neg. I installed a plastic bolt through the center of the unit with plastic washers to keep the plates separated.

When I made electrolytes, the amps would shoot way up. Baking soda, lye, etc didn't matter, the amps would shoot up high(45-50amps). I figured the mix was too strong so I started all over with just the lye. I have lye that is in crystal flake form. It is less than 1mm thin and broken into random size flakes. This morning I added one flake that measured about 1/2" X 1/2" and then another that was about half that size. I ran the unit and production was slow at first but was only pulling 5amps. I let it run and kept a check on it. After 15min, production was alot better and amps were around 10amps. After 30min the container was heating up well and amps were about 15. At about 45min, the container was getting pretty warm, my temp gun is not here right now but I will have it later for temp readings. It was about like a coffee cup exterior warm and I was pushing around 20amps. The 14ga wire for the pos side was uncomfortable to hold so I disconnected it. I do not yet have a way to measure LPM. So my question is>

Why does it only take so little lye to work? I have read where people were using 1tsp to a gallon. I think mine is quite a bit less than that. I am trying to locate some PH test strips to narrow down the amount of Lye I need this afternoon for another test. Ideas? Thanks, Wesley

I have included some pics of my setup to be critiqued.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/TruckPartsandSalvage/SLLozvNAneI/AAAAAAAAALM/kQdYBfZhH_w/s800/100_3653.JPG
http://lh6.ggpht.com/TruckPartsandSalvage/SLLo4w3IGNI/AAAAAAAAALU/93aoRpwK5SU/s400/100_3654.JPGhttp://lh4.ggpht.com/TruckPartsandSalvage/SLLo-EoZQEI/AAAAAAAAALc/xS4LFpILvL0/s400/100_3655.JPG
http://lh4.ggpht.com/TruckPartsandSalvage/SLLpEoR_wCI/AAAAAAAAALk/vbCSUzpDjEc/s800/100_3656.JPG

kg4lhowj
08-25-2008, 02:03 PM
http://lh5.ggpht.com/TruckPartsandSalvage/SLLy5bnxQcI/AAAAAAAAALs/pEHmeGKx-GY/s800/100_3657.JPG
This was just after I hooked it up this afternoon with reduced electrolyte mix. It was still a little warm from earlier so it's up to 10amps already. Thanks, Wesley

sm0kin
08-25-2008, 02:21 PM
most of your power is going to heat and is being wasted. from your description you are running -+-+-+-+-. what you should do is disconnect your middle plates. run it as -NNN+NNN-. Ns are simply plates that are not hooked up to either positive or negatives.
this will reduce your amperage and heat. you may need to add more electrolyte.

also it appears there are wires inside your cell. those should be taken out as to prevent excess corrotion

kg4lhowj
08-25-2008, 02:47 PM
This is just a test unit for now. The coated copper wires will be replaced with ss cable in the future. When you say to replace the middle plates with neutral, you mean isolate them with nylon washers? Thanks, Wesley

It has been running now for almost an hour, after removing some(16oz) electrolyte and refilling with distilled water, and is still at 10amps. I think I am pretty close to the correct mix.

homersimpson30
08-25-2008, 04:04 PM
Make some plates neutral and wrap your cell with rubber. Doing this will cut heat and amps. Use rubber splice tape from home depot. I also found a container like that but it was not air tight. I suggest blowing in to where you connect the hose and i bet you it will leak around the gasket. It looks good and tight but just like me it leaks. Trust me and take your time on finding a good solid air tight container and use only SS parts inside the container. Take your time on your designs, because you will end up spending a lot of money on failures and buying parts for different designs. I know its easyer to just post questions but take a few hours and just read through all the posts, it will take a while but in the end it will save you time, money, and reduce mistakes.

FuzzyTomCat
08-25-2008, 06:08 PM
The coated copper wires will be replaced with ss cable in the future. Thanks, Wesley

Just a reminder...... wire "crimp" terminals are all zinc plated copper.

Make some plates neutral and wrap your cell with rubber. Doing this will cut heat and amps. Use rubber splice tape from home depot. I also found a container like that but it was not air tight. I suggest blowing in to where you connect the hose and i bet you it will leak around the gasket. It looks good and tight but just like me it leaks. Trust me and take your time on finding a good solid air tight container and use only SS parts inside the container. Take your time on your designs, because you will end up spending a lot of money on failures and buying parts for different designs. I know its easyer to just post questions but take a few hours and just read through all the posts, it will take a while but in the end it will save you time, money, and reduce mistakes.

Excellent advice ........ sounds like me ...... been there done that !

Fuzzy
:D

godoveryou
08-25-2008, 06:14 PM
That's actually one of the nicer first attempts I have seen. I would ditch the single bath cell asap myself, but this should be good to give you a taste. Good luck with that.