PDA

View Full Version : Bubbler Problem

otrcomm
08-24-2008, 01:49 AM
Anybody else having problems with the bubbler losing water quickly? I have a bubbler made of 1 1/2 pvc tubing about 12" long. I have to refill it every couple of days. I read that when you pull a vacuum on a container of water, it lowers the boiling point to ambient air temperature (I read that the Shakers figured this out), so I suspect that this is part of what is happening. That is, I suspect that the water is boiling off due to the vacuum caused by the suction from the air intake system. Anybody have ideas/plans for a bubbler that maintains a constant water level by using a reservoir? I have some thoughts on installing a float mechanism connected to a reservoir, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel if someone has already come up with a working design.

mario brito
08-24-2008, 07:57 AM
Something must be wrong with your bubbler.

You are not near to provide enough vacuum to boil water at ambient temp.

Make sure that you don't have any leaks. Make a pressure test under water to see if any air comes out of the bubbler.

If the water in your bubbler drops to a level, and then gets stable, you're probably sucking water to your engine. If it keeps droping untill all water runs out, you have a leak.

Thanks

godoveryou
08-24-2008, 10:43 AM
Put a water/air check valve between the bubbler and generator and another between the bubbler and engine. If you are still losing water, then it's evaporation. As long as it's pure water, it won't hurt your engine. You may burn a little carbon out of it, but there's nothing wrong with a steam clean - like I said, providing it's just water.

Honestly, I stopped worrying about bubblers long ago. There's only two ways I'd use one. If it was a TBI or carb intake, or it I was using it as a seperator ALA Mr. West.

GOY

otrcomm
08-24-2008, 11:06 AM
Put a water/air check valve between the bubbler and generator and another between the bubbler and engine. If you are still losing water, then it's evaporation. As long as it's pure water, it won't hurt your engine. You may burn a little carbon out of it, but there's nothing wrong with a steam clean - like I said, providing it's just water.

Honestly, I stopped worrying about bubblers long ago. There's only two ways I'd use one. If it was a TBI or carb intake, or it I was using it as a seperator ALA Mr. West.

GOY

I don't think there are any leaks, but I will check. I am in Arizona, so evaporation seems most likely.

I am using a carbureted 1988 Suzuki Samurai as a test vehicle, so I probably should keep the bubbler.

Plus the Sami runs better when the bubbler is topped off with water. Probably because water vapor is mixing in with the hydrogen. It also probably helps keep the combustion cooler. Don't know, just guessing!

godoveryou
08-24-2008, 11:10 AM
Those are good guesses because if it is evaporation, than yes, that water is cooling the combustion chamber. I didn't read you location before, so yeah, I would say evaporation is the likely suspect. In that case, I'd build a larger bubbler to dilute any electrolyte that may make it's way in there, accept the evaporation as a given and go on happy motoring. :)

GOY