PDA

View Full Version : Platinum??

ICEMAN.KCMO
08-23-2008, 11:07 AM
so..... how do you get a hold of this stuff? you think there is any way we can find a way to do PLATINUM plated SS???

BoyntonStu
08-23-2008, 11:24 AM
so..... how do you get a hold of this stuff? you think there is any way we can find a way to do PLATINUM plated SS???

Gillette platinum blades?

BoyntonStu

Arctos1
08-23-2008, 12:18 PM
FYI:

Platinum bullion sells for $1,443.00/troy ounce. Compare to Gold at $823/troy ounce.

Even if you could get platinum plated stainless (I don't know if it's available), the payback would be in YEARS instead of weeks or months.

sm0kin
08-23-2008, 07:08 PM
ok so other than the fact it would prob last longer. what would be the benefit of it?

c02cutter
08-23-2008, 07:42 PM
Benefit...I'd sell you platinum if I could, but at this time there is no way I would put my but out that far...lol

otrcomm
08-24-2008, 02:22 AM
I am not really an expert in metals, but from what I have read, platinum doesn't really buy you much except it does not oxidize. I got some platinum plated nickle plates at a metal salvage yard and they don't add any performance to a prototype I built with them. However, I have found that once stainless steel is "conditioned," it doesn't seem to keep oxidizing. Also, there are different grades of stainless steel. 304 stainless has more Fe (iron) in it than does 216L, so most people are using 216L stainless. However, I can not get a hold of 216L stainless locally, so I use 304 and it seems to be working okay. Also I read that silver works good since, although it does oxidize, the oxidation layer will continue to carry current.

Smith03Jetta
08-24-2008, 02:56 AM
216L? I think you mean 316L. That's what I'm using...

As far as platinum is concerned, I think you should start researching Nickel Iron Nanoparticle Plating. It makes a tremendous amount of gas when used as an electrode. The surface area of coating only a few square inches equals the surface area of a football field.

It is being used right now in Hydrogen production experimentation on a large scale.

otrcomm
08-24-2008, 03:17 AM
216L? I think you mean 316L. That's what I'm using...

As far as platinum is concerned, I think you should start researching Nickel Iron Nanoparticle Plating. It makes a tremendous amount of gas when used as an electrode. The surface area of coating only a few square inches equals the surface area of a football field.

It is being used right now in Hydrogen production experimentation on a large scale.

Oops, by bad typo! 316L is correct!

You have any specific links to experiments using the "Nickel Iron Nanoparticle Plating" for hydrogen production?

otrcomm
08-24-2008, 03:33 AM
Here is a link to an article that talks about the Nano NiFe material that Smith03Jetta mentioned. It is developed by a company called QuantumSphere.

http://www.rdmag.com/ShowPR.aspx?PUBCODE=014&ACCT=1400000100&ISSUE=0807&RELTYPE=PR&ORIGRELTYPE=MS&PRODCODE=0000000&PRODLETT=WT&CommonCount=0

"To date, the Nano NiFe coated electrodes have surpassed 1,000-hour durability testing under harsh conditions (33% KOH, 1 A/cm2). These nano-enabled electrodes increase hydrogen gas output in electrolysis systems by 300%, at 85% efficiency."

It would be interesting to know what their experimental configuration was to get these results.

BoyntonStu
08-24-2008, 09:41 AM
To date, the Nano NiFe coated electrodes have surpassed 1,000-hour durability testing under harsh conditions (33% KOH, 1 A/cm2). These nano-enabled electrodes increase hydrogen gas output in electrolysis systems by 300%, at 85% efficiency.

Shucks! 85% efficiency tells us that we get less out than what we put in.

We lose 15%.

BoyntonStu