PDA

View Full Version : WHY is it turning BROWN????

HHOhoper
08-23-2008, 02:17 AM
I've tried using KOH in two different generators and both times, the electrolyte turns brown like it would with baking soda! I thought this stuff wasn't supposed to get dirty after so little use! Help? :confused:

Q-Hack!
08-23-2008, 02:24 AM
Did you clean your plates after using the baking soda? If you did then it is also possible that you are just leaching out the last of the impurities left over from the baking soda. If you change your electrolyte out it might clear up. The only other thought I have is that maybe you don't have all 316 SS in your cell. Any copper or other soft metal will be eroded and may cause color change.

BoyntonStu
08-23-2008, 09:44 AM
I've tried using KOH in two different generators and both times, the electrolyte turns brown like it would with baking soda! I thought this stuff wasn't supposed to get dirty after so little use! Help? :confused:

Tap or distilled water?

BoyntonStu

Genchaos
08-23-2008, 09:45 AM
Are you using distilled water? Any minerals in the water will start separating almost immediately and cause browning.

computerclinic
08-23-2008, 11:02 AM
Make sure that the plates AND the container are completely free of deposites from earlier experiments. Any impurities left behind will leave you with the brown. I found that when switching electrolyte solutions for different experiments, using Distiled Vinegar to clean the generator completely works very well...Use it to wipe everything clean, and then use it as an electrolyte so the vinegar can penetrate the smallest places in the genny....Rinse with distilled water and then add your new electrolyte solution..

Hope my experience can at least help a little bit...I have had that headache in the past....

HHOhoper
08-30-2008, 06:15 PM
Well you guys were right. After making a new generator that hadn't been used with any baking soda experiements, the water stayed completely clear after having been run for two weeks under the hood. I really think it was just left over residue from earlier experiements that I didn't catch. Thanks for the help!

chitown1234
01-16-2009, 04:10 AM
what is the best way too clean it now that its been exposed to baking soda i did a quick rinsing of the plate and still getting sludge maybe ill use a sharping stone to buff it out or some thing and is this nasty stuff toxic??
________
Jayda_Diamonde (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/Jayda_Diamonde/)

daddymikey1975
01-16-2009, 06:35 AM
what is the best way too clean it now that its been exposed to baking soda i did a quick rinsing of the plate and still getting sludge maybe ill use a sharping stone to buff it out or some thing and is this nasty stuff toxic??

scrub them really well with vinegar, then a trip through the dishwasher might be in order

mike

IronBear
01-16-2009, 09:38 AM
I used a lime and rust remover on one of my freinds cells and it turned out very nice after a very good rinsing.

daddymikey1975
01-16-2009, 01:27 PM
I used a lime and rust remover on one of my freinds cells and it turned out very nice after a very good rinsing.

I never thought of that.. as long as they're rinsed well (dishwasher) anything you use to clean them should be ok. after they're clean though DO NOT touch them with your bare hands. wear some gloves (latex or ntrile if you're allergic)

i hope this helps
mike

chitown1234
01-22-2009, 04:38 AM
ok thanks guys
________
Paxil Class Action Lawsuit (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/paxil/)